saltyant Night Skis @ Montage Mountain

saltyant

One trail that I noticed you missed on the report is a sneaky and most times hidden one. A few years ago they cut a connector between Lower Runaway and Cannonball called Rattler. It's narrow, twisty and usually has some fun banks on the sides. Pretty easy to ski right past the entrance to it and not even know it's there but it is a fun little offshoot. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Just now, Schif said:

One trail that I noticed you missed on the report is a sneaky and most times hidden one. A few years ago they cut a connector between Lower Runaway and Cannonball called Rattler. It's narrow, twisty and usually has some fun banks on the sides. Pretty easy to ski right past the entrance to it and not even know it's there but it is a fun little offshoot. 

This is my favorite trail there. It is basically a groomer track through the woods. It is not super long, but there is nothing like it that I've skied in PA. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

TFTI, dont think I skied that though I skied some of those narrow connectors that lead back to the base of Phoebe lift. No idea what the names of those are or if they have names. 

Just now, saltyant said:

TFTI, dont think I skied that though I skied some of those narrow connectors that lead back to the base of Phoebe lift. No idea what the names of those are or if they have names. 

Sounds like you probably did. I think it leads back to that lift but Schif probably knows better. 

5 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Nice report. How were the crowds and what's the deal with the $30 discount ticket?

Thanks trackbiker, low crowds. The only time I had to wait was when Phoebe lift shut down for a few minutes due to ski patrol transporting the toboggan or something. There were about 25-30 people stuck. Otherwise the wait was never more than a minute or so.

Virtually no one on the Iron Horse Lift as it only goes to the Blue runs

The $30 deal is for King's College alumni that I had no idea existed until my friend told me about it. If you know any alumni or current students I'll provide details

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Sounds like you probably did. I think it leads back to that lift but Schif probably knows better. 

Rattler comes out at the bottom of the second (and largest) headwall on Cannonball.

I agree,. One of my favorite runs.  My other favorite run at Montage is starting off the top off the Phoebe lift and heading over to Lower Runaway, but then cutting over to Lower Fast track in the middle of the last headwall... Turns out to be a nice long 'groomer' cruise.

• Like 1

I did Upper and Lower Fast Track and most of it was pitch dark. I couldnt see jack! 

I know they probably cant justify lighting some of those trails because hardly anyone skis them at night, but dang, put a warning sign or close them or something so I know not to go on them!

The most popular trails were well lit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pcklein31 said:

Rattler comes out at the bottom of the second (and largest) headwall on Cannonball.

I agree,. One of my favorite runs.  My other favorite run at Montage is starting off the top off the Phoebe lift and heading over to Lower Runaway, but then cutting over to Lower Fast track in the middle of the last headwall... Turns out to be a nice long 'groomer' cruise.

That's a great groomer cruise, but if you ever go into the lodge for a beer or something my favorite run is to take the Shuttle Lift from the lodge and then do the highlighted route below

image.thumb.png.b8826c58008bee8925b67120a57e26d3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Welcome back Guitar!!

I skied ok on WL. It felt like one of the steeper runs I've done on various ski trips.

WL is a legit steep run. it takes some good ski skillz to make it down safely.

57 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Welcome back guitar. Hows your ski season going?

thx steeze. it's going nicely, getting mad laps in at Montage. kinda bummed that Blue cancelled all their adult race clinic b/c of COVID-19. thinking of hitting up BC for wednesday nite nastar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Schif said:

That's a great groomer cruise, but if you ever go into the lodge for a beer or something my favorite run is to take the Shuttle Lift from the lodge and then do the highlighted route below

image.thumb.png.b8826c58008bee8925b67120a57e26d3.png

Yeah that is a good one too.. only downside to me is I occasionally get caught not carrying enough speed on my board to not get up and over the hump at the bunny slope lift.