Catamount 1/19/21

rgrwilco

The Shaefers have made many improvements since buying Catamount. I think with continual improvements it will be pretty good in a few years. You might want to try it again when all the trails are open. Have you tried Berkshire East? I'd rather ski there than Mount Snow on a holiday weekend when I'm in the area.

The Shaefers have made many improvements since buying Catamount. I think with continual improvements it will be pretty good in a few years. You might want to try it again when all the trails are open. Have you tried Berkshire East? I'd rather ski there than Mount Snow on a holiday weekend when I'm in the area.

The drive time to Berkshire east is much further so at that point gore or Vermont is a better option. It looks like a fun place but hard to justify. Catamount was similar to the Catskills so the drive was easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rgrwilco said:

After my peaks pass got epic’d last year, I went with the Indy pass this year. It’s cheap and a good way to experienced new mountains. The snow by this time locally was still iffy and I figured I would head north. Catamount always interested me, it’s on my my pass, why not. They had some cool looking trails on the NY side as well.

cc50c3ee6f2fc2e02bccd5775bc65b11.jpg

Being that the mountain is split in half by the NY/MA state line, I took the exit after hunters exit, and headed east. The mountain sits up on the taconic ridge, and is owned by the same people that own Berkshire east. It’s clear they have invested as there’s a very nice new lodge. They also had private sheds for the ‘rona safety.

98ab41a544f6ff09d0371f3e395cc9f8.jpg

I never waited in any lines, right on the lift each time. The trails I wanted to ride never opened, go figure, despite the website saying they were open.

5e213ad0f66e5360bc520b92652bc8c0.jpg

The mountain also felt like camelback but without the circus, as there top few hundred feet of vert was steep (some unopened trails were very steep, then a ton of runout.

36553e1e628f65e3ea04e178cecc8094.jpg

Due to the steep stuff and the longer blues not being open, I lapped the ridge trail that went from NY to MA, then down some easier trails to play around on the side hits. They started to setup a park, but it wasn’t open.

cae15b9694e13cccbf2a4f7c51ee5bb1.jpg

8a559d11810a33514b4dc51d89e9f235.jpg

I’m glad I went, but probably won’t go back. If I lived nearby I would...probably go to belleayre or drive a bit further north to magic or bromley. Next stop, blue knob.

94f774804d684a0adde569f4b180da11.jpg

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I love exploring new resorts and reading about the smaller, lesser known mountains.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rgrwilco said:

The drive time to Berkshire east is much further so at that point gore or Vermont is a better option. It looks like a fun place but hard to justify. Catamount was similar to the Catskills so the drive was easier.

I agree. If Gore is closer I'm going to Gore. But if you're ever in the Mount Snow Area for a few days, heading to Berkshire East on a weekend day is not a bad idea.