Blue Knob 2/8/21

rgrwilco

Holy shit I didn't see this, I loooove the knob and was actually talking about it with NM and Atomic tonight. Super cool tr from a serious underrated place.  

How about stemboggen ? That shit cracks me up but the glades and extrovert and east wall glades are legit. 

I used to go there alot when my cousin went to Penn St toon town and the logging roads up there are legit too. 

Did they get a sign yet ? It's been awhile but last time I was there the access road had a piece of cardboard that just said ski with an arrow. 

That road is sketchy af with weather and my cousin said he saw a car go off when he was in college.  Driving up it in snow makes blue Mt drive feel like pch. The last right I think it is and you can breath again.  

• Like 1

Holy shit I didn't see this, I loooove the knob and was actually talking about it with NM and Atomic tonight. Super cool tr from a serious underrated place.  
How about stemboggen ? That shit cracks me up but the glades and extrovert and east wall glades are legit. 
I used to go there alot when my cousin went to Penn St toon town and the logging roads up there are legit too. 
Did they get a sign yet ? It's been awhile but last time I was there the access road had a piece of cardboard that just said ski with an arrow. 
That road is sketchy af with weather and my cousin said he saw a car go off when he was in college.  Driving up it in snow makes blue Mt drive feel like pch. The last right I think it is and you can breath again.  

They got a sign! Nothing fancy. Stembogen was closed for snowmaking (go figure) but everything else was open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

They got a sign! Nothing fancy. Stembogen was closed for snowmaking (go figure) but everything else was open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear ! With a little bit of money it could be even more amazing but is in a bad spot. 

East wall glades would challenge any skier, at least back in the day they were boney as fuck.  

This and your Catamount TR are super cool and I love small unique areas.

Suicide six is on the indy pass and if your coming back from Jay or something its cool af. The front pitch is short but steep and the trees skiers left and far right are pretty good for 600 ft. Its small so only if your in the area but worth a stop for the history alone plus maybe the coolest name in skiing. 

Pats peak too in NH is a wild little hill,  for awhile the only eastern skier in the fwt was from pats peak. 

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, trackbiker said:

That's a long day trip. Both times I skied there were on return trips from business in the Pittsburgh area. They have some good terrain but I still think Elk has better and more variety.

Elk you can close your eyes and fall down like any pa Hill.  Knob your crashing into a rock, tree or the mid mountain Jimmy buffet themed bar or the school bus in the terrain park the kids smoked weed in.  It's the polar opposite of Elk. 

If elk is skiing in Vermont like stowe, the knob is magic. It's the crack head brother of PA skiing and if you like that kind of thing, maybe platekill is the next closest but that's almost too clean. Magic I think is the closest other place that is so rowdy.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Elk you can close your eyes and fall down like any pa Hill.  Knob your crashing into a rock, tree or the mid mountain Jimmy buffet themed bar or the school bus in the terrain park the kids smoked weed in.  It's the polar opposite of Elk. 

If elk is skiing in Vermont like stowe, the knob is magic. It's the crack head brother of PA skiing and if you like that kind of thing, maybe platekill is the next closest but that's almost too clean. Magic I think is the closest other place that is so rowdy.

I can hear your voice in my head telling this story like we're standing in the parking lot of Blue.   Crackin' me up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Platty is like the old hippie of the group. Blue Knob is your friend from high school who randomly shows up at your place halfway through a bottle of Jack telling you he got tickets to see Metallica... the next state over so you gotta drive him *now* dude but its gonna be epic, just trust him. 

That said, the Knob is a great place. I hope it holds on. Fun fact: it used to be a USAF radar station for missile defense. 

Edited by EdBacon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2