Montagna Bleu isn’t for lovers - 2/14/21

enjoralas

• enjoralas changed the title to Montagna Bleu isn’t for lovers - 2/14/21

Conditions were nice, the freezing fog sucked on the goggles. Since i wasnt diggin the low vis issues, i cut out around 9:15 or so in favor of getting home early to take care of some things starting to stack up at home. 
saw Mix on the side of the road on my way out breaking his board in half. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was the funnest day I've had at True Bleu this season, maybe ever. Rolled in at 745 and made it to first in line at Gate 7 by 753. Earned first civilian chair and was very excite so I posted about it on PASR, but then my post got deleted due to an ongoing forum glitch.

First run was Challenge which was mad steezy. Had the whole run to myself which was cray-cray as usually a bunch of PASRs are on it doing Mach 3.5. Goggles iced up like a mother which made it challenging to see on Challenge. I raised my goggles and then my eyes watered due to reaching hypersonic speed.

Next did Switchback and it was an amazing smooth carpet, I think I saw titty glitter or whatever the saying is. It was Tits Boner McGee. 

Then met up with @enjoralas and we skied some mad technical glades. The run through the bike park glades between Lazy Mile and Sidewinder was the most difficult run I've ever done in PA, but we made it out and clinked our poles as a high five.

20210214_095844.thumb.jpg.42eb82ec75cd342f79e82649cc3aae25.jpg

This run should be called "WTF???"

20210214_095509.thumb.jpg.7f2b453108ac06301d5edfc20ac3d8da.jpg

Afterward we messed around various trails, going in and out of woods and I did some grate side whoop-de-doos. I really enjoyed the short cut thru the woods off Paradise. Then Enjoralas did Coming Soon for the first time and it was my second time. Nice moe ghouls, just a bit of thin cover in some spots but not bad at all.

20210214_105426.thumb.jpg.610e3de6e08fdc3884196b47e6af94ef.jpg

After we hung out in the lot for a bit and talked to MBikeMike, Mixilplix and Nastar Glenn about Mantras and Kendos, and Enjoralas and I went for some delicious wood fired pizza. He got pepperoni and I ordered buffalo steeze pizza.

Then Enjoralas was nice enough to lend me his Monster 108's. Thanks!! I did 2 runs on Paradise and 1 on Lazy Mile. Felt much better in the chop on Lazy than my RTMs, and I cut right thru it and wasn't getting tossed around. But they are beasts and a lot more effort to move around, as I like doing short turns. I would really enjoy them on a Perder day or in spring time chop. 

Also rode the quad a few times with @indiggio and @tarponhead as they continued to lap Coming Soon, and I didn't even get strangled yet.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Later swapped into my RTMs to mess around off piste more, and skied under the Quad (top section) which I accessed from the woods to the left of Coming Soon. Exited by blasting along a narrow track on the hills to the right of P-Dizzle, which was a bit white knuckle as I was going fast. But made it out OK.

20210214_140755.thumb.jpg.11fe79425ef45f993ef3913052dbd11d.jpg

Also skied under the Main Street/Burma chairs from Coming Soon  Come Around and down, which was a blast!! The last part right before the lifts is mad steep and narrow, but I made it the whole run without falling.

20210214_144526.thumb.jpg.4d1a762efd814647a5f6ab8244889a8b.jpg

Overall a grate day and it was really fun doing a lot of stuff I've never done as it felt like a new mountain. Now time for SUJOPO. JADIP.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 8
  • Boner City 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Wow salty skiing off piste...back in the day if you skied off piste at Blue mountain the ski patrol would be piste off, now they don’t even care. 

Haha. Yeah, I ducked under the closed sign and thought maybe a ski patrol would yell at me from the Main Street chair, but I was listening to Iron Maiden in my headphones so if he did I didn't hear him. 🤷‍♂️ I was like whatever, it's too much fun.

At Camelback I remember riding the lift with ski patrol and they'd be radioing other patrollers about people skiing out of bounds. I wonder what happened to them? They probably had to watch a safety video or something (the horror)

Edited by saltyant

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Haha. Yeah, I ducked under the closed sign and thought maybe a ski patrol would yell at me from the Main Street chair, but I was listening to Iron Maiden in my headphones so if he did I didn't hear him. 🤷‍♂️ I was like whatever, it's too much fun.

At Camelback I remember riding the lift with ski patrol and they'd be radioing other patrollers about people skiing out of bounds. I wonder what happened to them? They probably had to watch a safety video or something (the horror)

I had to watch a safety video at cameltoe for skiing a closed run in 1996..there was like 18” of new snow and only Marjorie’s delight and another run I think justin Timberlake or Julius Caesar salad was open.  They spotted me and my friend through binoculars.  After we watched the safety video they issued us new tickets. Was already like 1 or 2pm but back then I always skied till 5 or whenever the day pass expired. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woke up this morning to find that no freezing precip had occurred overnight as predicted, so another spectacular day at Blue!!

One run down Challenge to start because they weren't loading the quad and the rest of the day spent lapping the bumps, rocks and woods of Coming Soon.

Even had the pleasure of riding the lift with @saltyant a few times as he tried out @enjoralas Monsters.

Wow @saltyant WTGAI expanding your terrain repertoire, impressive!

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yet another spectacular day at Blue!
One run down Challenge to start because they weren't loading the quad and the rest of the day spent lapping the bumps, rocks and woods of Coming Soon.

Even had the pleasure of riding the lift with @saltyant a few times as he tried out @enjoralas Monsters.

Nice report. If you had alpine touring gear, you could skin from the top of the six pack to the top of the quad for Cumming soon. Amazing that it’s been open almost two weeks on all natural snow and fingers crossed we might have a net gain to the snowpack this week. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Thanks Indiggio! I always have the most fun doing more challenging terrain than I'm used to. If the roads are good tomorrow morning I think I'll practice bumps on Coming Soon most of the time, particularly early on when the quad line isn't long.

The line wasn't that bad when we rode together, but by 2 pm the VIP line stretched well beyond the gates and it was a bit too long for me, so I headed over to the doubles which had much shorter lines. I stayed 'til about 3:30 and would have skied a bit more but was too thirsty.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Tomorrow will be less crowded than today @saltyant a lot of season passholders have work. 

Will you be there tomorrow? Will you have a loaner??

I'm going, the storm isn't supposed to start until Monday night. This morning the roads were completely fine despite a winter weather advisory (though there was goggle ice in the air)

Edited by saltyant

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Will you be there tomorrow? Will you have a loaner??

I'm going, the storm isn't supposed to start until Monday night. This morning the roads were completely fine despite a winter weather advisory (though there was goggle ice in the air)

Nope after I get my loaner I’m going into work.  

• Sad 1

Yeah, the Monsters are a ski you really have to work. They want to be on edge as much as possible, and they’re heavy. Glad you got to see what a wider and stiffer ski can do for you though. I think something mid-90s to mid-aughts underfoot and stiffer than your RTMs, with some tail rocker would suit your ski style pretty well. You seem to throw your tails around a lot and that should make it easier with a bigger ski.

• Thanks 1

Shout out to Indiggio for texting me the road report and getting my a$$ outta bed. Skied 10-4:15. All runs on TCS, even last one when we loaded chair at 2 ticks before 4:00 and thought ski patrol would have TCS roped off but they must have forgotten about it and I was able to avoid having to ski some other trail than our private exclusive one. Glad Enjorales and Salty got the goods too. Amazing as it it seems, I had no urge to strangle Salty today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Glad you got to see what a wider and stiffer ski can do for you though. 

Thanks again for letting me test drive them. I took them on Paradise and Lazy Mile as those were likely the 2 most choppy groomers of the day. As you've said, they plow right through the chop which is fun and I didn't feel myself struggling in it as I do with the RTMs. Conversely, they are harder to maneuver around than what I'm used to.

Something between my RTMs and your Monster 108s should do me well for an all-mountain ski.  I still think I'd use the RTMs for tight glades where the short length of 170 cm and small turning radius come in handy!

Edited by saltyant

Salty, these Monsters would not do you any good in perder because they're heavy, and they're fully cambered skis.

They'll do in chop, but not because they're stiff. It's because they're wide, long and heavy. Where they will not carry you over due to geometry, they'll just plow through due to weight. Would be even better if you kept them on edge, then they would also cut through.

I don't get the obsession with stiffness. Are you heavy? Carve a lot? Like to workout? And anyway, what stiffness do you mean? Torsional? Longitudinal?

And yeah, R23 is a big R.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, eaf said:

Salty, these Monsters would not do you any good in perder because they're heavy, and they're fully cambered skis.

They'll do in chop, but not because they're stiff. It's because they're wide, long and heavy. Where they will not carry you over due to geometry, they'll just plow through due to weight. Would be even better if you kept them on edge, then they would also cut through.

I don't get the obsession with stiffness. Are you heavy? Carve a lot? Like to workout? And anyway, what stiffness do you mean? Torsional? Longitudinal?

And yeah, R23 is a big R.

I don't intend to keep the Monsters, as Enjoralas just let me try them out to see how wide skis feel compared to RTMs. Quite a difference. I just assumed they'd be good in powder 💁‍♂️

I don't understand a lot about stiffness, so I'll do vigorous research on it before I decide. TFTI

Edited by saltyant