The PASR Magazine cover thread.

RidgeRacer

12 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

This is an interesting point to me, and it kinda seems like it played out a little bit with the Vail purchase of other smaller east coast areas. In their normal takeover scenario, lets say somewhere like whistler, you're not really relying on the local talent pool to fill jobs loading lifts, cleaning tables, making fries, etc. They fill those jobs with J1 visas (probably not called J1 in canada but whatever). People are traveling from elsewhere around the world to work there because it's whistler, it's awesome, and anybody who wants to ski bum it for a year or two wants to be there. That's not the case with blue. It sounded like JFBB was having a hard time staffing up this year. I could see blue running into similar problems if whatever is going down ends up pissing off a bunch of the current employees to the point of them not wanting to or being invited to come back. Obviously all speculation at this point until something concrete is announced.

We were talking about other, bigger mountains bringing in outside help too.  I don't see it happening at Blue either as it's not some spectacular ski destination and pay doesn't justify working there either.  They had trouble staffing as well, as the doubles rarely ran together all the time even when lines were long.  Seems as though they never had 2 people in the top shack to watch both landings.  Getting the stimulus money also didn't help their staffing issues either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
We're approaching halfway through April so it is likely that the May edition is currently going through the edit process. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to Issue #4!

We're short staffed in the off season but worry not...the crew is hard at work putting the finishing touches on #4.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

We should do a PASR Magazine Resort rankings guide. I'm totally serious.  I'll need to think on this one...

Hmmm. This is very interesting. we could set up a rubric like the one they use for one of the rollercoaster ranking polls I used to give a shit about. In that one coasters gained points only by being ranked above other coasters by people who had ridden both. It was considered the most accurate and well respected poll because that system meant that coasters that were excellent but hadn’t had as many riders would rank generally where they deserved instead of it being a straight popularity contest

• Like 4

• 4 months later...