Blue Knob 2/19

PSUFrankenstein

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Multiple picture posts for one report... you know how to rack up the likes! This is the second report from this place this year and it looks better every time. Sounds like you made the right decision and timed this well! 👏

Haha sorry for the multiple posts...I'm on my phone and its easier that way 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Fuckin legit!!......Place looks fun....Once again Pa delivers...

I feel like everyone should ski/ride here at least once (on a good snow day).  Except maybe Doug.  No high speed lifts here

8 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

the best one yet 😍

I had to stop at a brewery...I really wanted to hit Levity Brewing in Altoona but it would have been a bit out of my way

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

This looks like an awesome day. How long was the drive?

For me it's a little under 3 hours.  It would be a bit further for Lehigh valley/  pocono people.   

Also, a full day lift ticket was a whopping $40.  If you bring a season pass from another resort its $35, but I did an online ticket reservation so I didn't get that discount 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guitar73 said:

Love blue knob. Been there a couple of times, but neither had that much snow coverage. Need to get out there again to partake in those glades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now is the perfect time to go.  They just opened a few more trails.   Another 4" overnight and it snowed off and on all day yesterday.  The only closed trails I wanted to hit yesterday were upper extrovert and ditch glades.  Probably could've ducked a rope at the end of the day for upper extrovert but I didn't bother.   

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Wonder what is going on with this place. They report 16" of fresh snow this week and they have only 8 of 34 trails open, which includes none of their "advanced intermediate", "advanced" or "expert" terrain. 

If they can't do better than that after a big natural snowfall in late January, they have basically given up.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

32 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Wonder what is going on with this place. They report 16" of fresh snow this week and they have only 8 of 34 trails open, which includes none of their "advanced intermediate", "advanced" or "expert" terrain. 

If they can't do better than that after a big natural snowfall in late January, they have basically given up.

16" compresses down to very little depending on the density. The way to think about the knob is like magic or old powder. Very good terrain mtn with interesting terrain for its area, cool vibe and good different but everything else is almost always real half ass and maybe not at all.  It's good and you should go but ideally during the week and only when mother nature has been most helpful otherwise it's probably bad because these types of places the hill more is than what a mgmt group makes it.  

That's Edges hood and I mean no disrespect at all but he is Einstein compared to that area. I wouldn't doubt they can't find people. 

The deal really with the place is it has the sketchiest road with snow to a skiing area maybe anywhere.  Off camber no guardrail 300ft drop 80 degree right turn slightly downhill if I recall. When my cousin went to toon town we rode their a bunch and he swears he was there when a car went off and all the people died. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

LOL.  

• Haha 1

DC ski has a really good writeup/forum posts on blue knob if anyone wants to get into a rabbit hole. Apparently there used to be a lift from the condos and cabins to the summit with a trail under to ski back down, with expansion plans past stembogen or whowever the hell you spell it.

I went last season after a few of those big storms and they had a ton of snow. the snow on the side of the road was taller than my car, yet all the trails werent open, and they had 2 snow guns running despite being 7 degrees.

According to some over a DC ski, the place operates with only 30 percent snowmaking capacity actually functioning. couple that with a crappy start to this winter, this is what you get. the knob desperately needs to be sold to someone who can fix the snowmaking system, fix the lifts, and market the hell out of the place. Its relatively easy to get to, just a few minutes from the highway. the one way up is sketchy AF, but the state park keeps the other way up very well maintained. there is nothing else like it in the area, and with vail monopolizing the resorts in the area, now is the time for Blue Knob to seek some investments and upgrades.

• Like 5
  • Boner City 1