2/27...raining..untracked snow.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from a short and wet session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot at 715am and it was raining and in the mid 30s.  In the house were Toast, Mixilplix, MBike mike, Nastar Glenn, GahSkier George, Mute, Ryan, boo bear, mutes kid and Bethlehem Ford Guy.  

First civilian six pack and first run on razors with an inch and a half of rain soaked fresh.  The top section I was milking the fresh then went more straight on the rest..challenge was groomed more recently and was super smooth...some of the best rainy conditions I’ve experienced and run of the day was switchback with swaths of untracked and I skied that three times.  I was soaked..from my neck to my back to my crack..peaced out after five runs and ready for some soup. 

@NMSKIJackee from 227 also today’s date should provide you with a little morning motivation.  She’s stacked wooo

2F4C7504-F2CA-4647-A6FC-A376D048053E.jpeg

E12A3873-D487-4E73-A615-EB9ADCA16E70.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This morning was surprisingly good. I really dislike skiing in the rain but once I got in my car I was committed. The 1.5" of fresh wet snow was quite enjoyable. No crowds made it tolerable until I was pretty much soaked through. Nice short session and awesome to see Mute and family out there shredding in action!

• Like 3

Rode with Mbike and Glenn till about 9:30.....Side/switch/lazy were all nice....A lot of semi untracked down the sides....Main was surprising kinda choppy...It got the best of me and ended up face planting....When I got my shit together and wiped my face there was a some blood....out to the car and found a little cut on the bridge of my nose from the goggle impact....Cleaned it up.....said hi to the Mute family(they were on there way to tubing) and went back out for a couple more runs...By 9:30 the snow was gettin kinda squirrely so called it.....Low crowds made for quick laps....Saw Enjo and Pops in the lot...Soup sounds pretty good right now...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fun morning getting soaked. Skied 810-9 with the fam on lazy and paradise. Had a nice lift ride with [mention]toast21602 [/mention]and got to chat with [mention]mbike-ski [/mention]and [mention]Mixilplix [/mention]in the lot for a bit. Headed over to meet the in laws and kids just after 9 in tubing. I messed up saving them money and I’m kicking myself. They bought their kid that’s under 6 y/o a ticket and forgot I can buy passes for a discount. They probably make bank on people not doing a season pass for free on kids under 6.

Changed pants and gloves since they soaked through. Light crowds to start and slow snow over there. People had trouble making it to the flat it was so slow. The morning crowd tried to wait out the rain and arrived in full force between 11 & 12. Lines for each hill were about 100 deep and took 20 minutes per run to get through by 12. Probably about 20% not wearing masks and no enforcement. Called it quits just after noon with gloves and pants soaked through.

After working in tubing for a couple years back in college, still gets me the amount of people not prepared for the weather. Leggings, jeans, sneakers, no gloves or hats, etc. People look cold.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Fun morning getting soaked. Skied 810-9 with the fam on lazy and paradise. Had a nice lift ride with [mention]toast21602 [/mention]and got to chat with [mention]mbike-ski [/mention]and [mention]Mixilplix [/mention]in the lot for a bit. Headed over to meet the in laws and kids just after 9 in tubing. I messed up saving them money and I’m kicking myself. They bought their kid that’s under 6 y/o a ticket and forgot I can buy passes for a discount. They probably make bank on people not doing a season pass for free on kids under 6.

Changed pants and gloves since they soaked through. Light crowds to start and slow snow over there. People had trouble making it to the flat it was so slow. The morning crowd tried to wait out the rain and arrived in full force between 11 & 12. Lines for each hill were about 100 deep and took 20 minutes per run to get through by 12. Probably about 20% not wearing masks and no enforcement. Called it quits just after noon with gloves and pants soaked through.

After working in tubing for a couple years back in college, still gets me the amount of people not prepared for the weather. Leggings, jeans, sneakers, no gloves or hats, etc. People look cold.

Didn’t realize that under 6 passes also got free tubing!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Why would they issue a refund? 

You won’t believe it, but some people may actually not be inclined to ski in rain. Now, in regular years they’d simply stay home even if slight rain was in forecast. This season there are penalties attached (I was able to reschedule earlier w/o any, but at that time forecast was calling for a real monsoon).

Seems like reservation system may be dragging people out on days where they’d be happier not to ski, and esp. not to wait in long lines in rain.

But today the mountain is deserted, so IDK how valid these theories might be.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, eaf said:

You won’t believe it, but some people may actually not be inclined to ski in rain. Now, in regular years they’d simply stay home even if slight rain was in forecast. This season there are penalties attached (I was able to reschedule earlier w/o any, but at that time forecast was calling for a real monsoon).

Seems like reservation system may be dragging people out on days where they’d be happier not to ski, and esp. not to wait in long lines in rain.

Wow

We bailed on this weekend for exactly that reason. I’ll ski in the rain for empty trails and no lift lines, but didn’t feel like driving and gambling that a bunch of people with day tickets were gonna be sucking up the weather because they were locked into their tickets. Went surfing instead, got more waves than I would have runs at blue, and the rain didn’t matter cause I was already in the water anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eaf said:

That didn’t answer the question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaf said:

Correct. Having to make reservations before knowing the forecast sucks when rain is a possibility. One time I changed my whole trip due to rain and lost $318 due to hotel nonrefundable.... but at least I got to ski the Perder which was grate

2 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

Don't make a reservation if there calling for rain ....

Truth and @eaf here’s a positive spin on this, because of the reservation system, Blue doesn’t close due to rain which means that people who don’t mind skiing in the rain can ski to their hearts content. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saltyant said:

Correct. Having to make reservations before knowing the forecast sucks when rain is a possibility. One time I changed my whole trip due to rain and lost $318 due to hotel nonrefundable.... but at least I got to ski the Perder which was grate

What friggin hotel is non refundable??

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

What friggin hotel is non refundable??

Northern Lights Lodge by Stowe, remember? I got a 25% discount for nonrefundable but then the weather forecast changed to dog shit pouring down rain so I went to Winterpark instead and dont regret it... though I regret the stupidity of the nonrefundable hotel 

I had a voucher for American Airlines that expired soon so I only paid $17 for the flight and that's how I justified it to myself

Edited by saltyant

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

Northern Lights Lodge by Stowe, remember? I got a 25% discount for nonrefundable but then the weather forecast changed to dog shit pouring down rain so I went to Winterpark instead and dont regret it... though I regret the stupidity of the nonrefundable hotel 

Well that was the risk you took with getting a discount. Vermont has terrible weather.  Are you still in Utah?  

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I had a voucher for American Airlines that expired soon so I only paid $17 for the flight and that's how I justified it to myself

Hah..I stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge on my Long Trail hike......

23 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Hah..I stayed at the Northern Lights Lodge on my Long Trail hike......

It's a nice place. I enjoyed it my first time. If I didnt take the nonrefundable deal I would have gotten my money back. But I only go on 1-2 trips a year and I want Epic conditions!

• Thanks 1