Camelback 3/16 rad live updates thread

saltyant

5 minutes ago, Benm said:

I'm really hoping they weren't the ones who did the writing on it. 

Why 170?

They were. The lady asked me what I wanted to write on it and I went oh shit and started blurting out PASR things. 170 was the length of Saltys RTMs. The PASRs thought 170 was too short so that was the running joke here that season. Somehow Salty translates that into I made a cake for him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, saltyant said:

@RootDKJ Reach around talk

Hi Salty and gang. Whew! It’s been a busy year. I’ve finally moved into PA!!! I’m not sure what is worse, packing or unpacking. Either way, I’m not moving again for a long time. 

I’m super looking forward to pulling into the upper lot for the first time without a front plate on my car haha. 

Lots to do, dethatching and fertilizing the lawn today.  Anyone have any recommendations on a tree removal company in Bucks/Mont?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RootDKJ said:

Hi Salty and gang. Whew! It’s been a busy year. I’ve finally moved into PA!!! I’m not sure what is worse, packing or unpacking. Either way, I’m not moving again for a long time. 

I’m super looking forward to pulling into the upper lot for the first time without a front plate on my car haha. 

Lots to do, dethatching and fertilizing the lawn today.  Anyone have any recommendations on a tree removal company in Bucks/Mont?  

Welcome to PA...did you move to the quakertown area?

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 2:12 PM, momskeeztoo said:

And congrats to no longer being a two-plater👍👍. I have a lot of family in Jersey, I don’t know how they can afford the property taxes. When did you buy a house? Kind of a crazy time to buy, isn’t it? 

It’s a really tough time to buy. Every home we made an offer on, we got out bid by a ridiculous amount. We lucked out and found a for sale by owner and closed in early August. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

It’s a really tough time to buy. Every home we made an offer on, we got out bid by a ridiculous amount. We lucked out and found a for sale by owner and closed in early August. 

Im glad i bought/sold in 2019, before things went completely stupid.  I did really well selling mine, which was just dumb luck that i bumped into the right person that just wanted to buy any house in that neighborhood, and paid me more, and had zero contingencies to ensure she got it.  i probably would not have ended up in the house i ended up buying, which would make me sad.  

A friend was buying during all of this, he was going after houses towards his max number, but after being outbid by tens of thousands, he had to change his strategy to go after houses $50,000 below his max.  that was what finally netted him a house.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Im glad i bought/sold in 2019, before things went completely stupid.  I did really well selling mine, which was just dumb luck that i bumped into the right person that just wanted to buy any house in that neighborhood, and paid me more, and had zero contingencies to ensure she got it.  i probably would not have ended up in the house i ended up buying, which would make me sad.  

A friend was buying during all of this, he was going after houses towards his max number, but after being outbid by tens of thousands, he had to change his strategy to go after houses $50,000 below his max.  that was what finally netted him a house.  

Yeah it is pretty crazy right now. I see what other homes around me sell for and it would be wild how much I would get for my place (especially with this finely manicured lawn). It would be great to sell and net a nice profit but there would be nowhere to go for a reasonable price in the current market. I also hate moving so in reality I have no interest in moving. 

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

It was pretty crazy, with some homes going under contract sight unseen.  Others went under contract before we could arrange a trip to PA. One home we put an offer on went for $75K over asking. I was stunned. We even considered renting and then moving twice. I’m glad we didn’t do that.

We went over budget, but also bought more home and land then we were initially looking for too. We got lucky with the for sale by owner because I think it fell off most peoples (aka realtors) radar. The neighbors told us that the sellers only had one other offer and they liked us better. We had an inspection contingency but the biggest issues were a light and electrical receptacle not working. Both had disconnected wires, so they were easy fixes.  

Our NJ home sold almost immediately by the first person to look at it. Full price cash offer.  The buyer spent 6 minutes inside the home. 

While I get the appeal of low interest rates, the inflation of home prices washes that right out so I really don't understand why the market is still so hot. 

My concern is that people who have overpaid and locked in good mortgage rates will now sit on these houses for longer than they typically would because 1. Their next move will give them a higher rate 2. It will be difficult to get the price they paid for the house back out of it

Just now, Schif said:

While I get the appeal of low interest rates, the inflation of home prices washes that right out so I really don't understand why the market is still so hot. 

My concern is that people who have overpaid and locked in good mortgage rates will now sit on these houses for longer than they typically would because 1. Their next move will give them a higher rate 2. It will be difficult to get the price they paid for the house back out of it

The extreme lack of inventory is driving prices up. Coupled with stupidly low interest rates has people buying second homes for investing/rental purposes too.

the people who sold us our house weren't really tied down with kids or anything. when prices started skyrocketing, they made their RV their home and sold their house for way more than they'd ever get, cash i think. they've been trying to sell for years.

now they are sort of livin the nomad life in the RV near friends in NC, waiting for things to level out. i don't think they thought it'd take this long though.

i'm in the middle of a refi now thanks to the low rates.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RootDKJ said:

The extreme lack of inventory is driving prices up. Coupled with stupidly low interest rates has people buying second homes for investing/rental purposes too.

Plus corporations are setting up shell companies to rent out as a tax write off which further reduces inventory and inflates the prices.  The economy is just so hot right now although massive inflation will take some sizzle out of that. 

48 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

Yep. Saving a boat load of interest money by doing that.

oddly enough, ,not so much interest savings, some tho. we secured the original loan at a good time and rates were really low (jul 2016, around 3.5). i'll be able to knock it down a bit (they're at 3 now) but the big thing is getting rid of the PMI, both total around 110/mo or something, so nothing to sneeze at i guess. it'll offset my tax increase after the county's reassessment.

My mom just sold her house. Originally it “sold” before ever hitting the MLS. That person back out and it got listed on the MLS on Friday afternoon. She had 10 showings between Sat and Sun and got 9 offers on it. Not sure how much over listing price she ended up selling it for.

I’m very happy for her. She’s ready to downsize and doesn’t want to deal with the upkeep of a single house any more and will have 350k+ cash to find a 55+ community.  I’m also kinda sad about it because it was my childhood home and I (naively) thought she would stay there forever. I tried to buy it and was approved to buy it but it was simply just too expensive.

Hoping to find some of my old snowboards in the attics/craw space when we clean it out. 

Edited by antman12
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, antman12 said:

have 350k+ cash to find a 55+ community

Have you seen the prices for those houses? Unbelievable. And the houses are HUGE! I’m like WTF, it’s 2 people, why do they need 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and more square feet then I had growing up with 4 siblings 🤷🏻‍♀️