Vermont!

SallyCat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

October 24 and I still don't have a pass for this year. Not sure I'm going to buy one; weird.

I heard that Epic pass sales have increased by some insane amount over last year. And last year I barely used mine because resorts were so horribly crowded. Plus, my work schedule changed so that I can mostly only ski weekends, so...ugh. The two resorts near me (Okemo and Sunapee) are notoriously awful on weekends. 

I think I may just earn my turns on the local mountain. Dog knows I need the exercise.  Plus when there's fresh snow I really enjoy hiking up and snowboarding down. Maybe I'll do that and  just see what sort of cheap day passes I can score when I want some lift service?

If it's a shite snow year I may change my mind on the passes, but for now I'm freewheelin' into the season with no commitment! Yikes!

Will report back on how it goes!

Killington is making snow already, though it's been a lovely long, warm autumn up here.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, indiggio said:

It’s gonna be like that everywhere during the next month or so.  I remember when restaurants would close for a week just cause one employee got Covid..ahhh we were so innocent back in spring of 2020. 

I think this year is worse than last. Stores were packed before Christmas, no one wearing a mask. I started wearing a mask when I go to the store again, even though I’m fully vaxed. We are getting a lot of really sick younger folks that need to be admitted to the hospital. Guess what, not vaccinated. And every hospital in the area is packed, people wait in the lobby for HOURS shoulder to shoulder. For really stupid stuff. It’s just amazing to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Unless you’re wearing an N95 mask whenever you’re around people indoors and outdoors you’re gonna catch omicron which is corona light if fully vaxxed and boosted or a potential visit from the grim reaper if you’re a mouth breathing anti vaxxer...

Delta is still out there, too. 

53 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Stocked up on n95s for when I travel in a few weeks. Also found some at home tests online and snagged 3 boxes...the ihealth version. It's fda approved and apparently one of the better tests at detecting omicron. Grab em while you can.

Our local CVS got a shipment in. They are limiting purchases to 2. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

Pretty interesting article about Ascutney, what it used to be, the collapse, and now what it has become. Seems like a really cool place to have nearby.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/01/travel/ascutney-cross-country.html

That place was soooooo dope for what it was. It was like if Magic had a sister, great looking just like Magic but a bit softer, rolling where Magic is pointy. Slow lifts but a lodge filled with racers and their parents, Spring Mtn like vibe, alot of locals and their kids.   

Far skiers left was a section of glades called Dark Side of then Moon, tight ass VT shrub pines kinda entrance led to wider powder slots of deciduous trees. About 1/3 way down was an old blown out cabin people smoked weed in and made out. If you went hard left out of bounds you'd end up in a section of super big perfectly spaced pine trees. Unlike everywhere else in VT it was hyper clean like where they must test DR power mowers clean and at the end you could traverse hard right back to the condo return trail and the lifts. I slept in my car in their lot at least twice with no bother but for as cool as it was it was the anti Okemo/Stratton/Snow and in VT that means your dead. 

Super cool to see it come back in a sense it's a cool mtn with alot of potential. Outside of a fabled mystical section of trees in what is an orchard or at least trees that don't belong in VT off some number road in the NEK I never found a cleaner set of trees in the NE. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...