Chair incident

Lift Blog

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Accidents happen. The lift ran for 26 years without a chairlift full of people falling so they had a pretty good run.  

Chair lift is most likely the safest mode of transportation we all take on a regular basis.

"According to statistics compiled by the National Ski Areas Association, a passenger is five times more likely to die riding in an elevator than on a ski lift and eight times more likely to die in a car."

Going by the pictures at least it didn't fall off over one of the stretches where its further off the ground. 

That detachable is one of the older ones around. I'm not sure on the lifespan of a detachable. I know fixed grips can run forever if you keep them in good order, owing to their relative mechanical simplicity. Not sure if detachables will have that same kind of run or if they'll need to be retired/replaced. 

Blue's Comet lift is pretty much the same age 1994 except Poma.  Challenge is 2006 Poma and Tomahawk at Shawnee is 2010 Doppelmayer.

I would expect Camelback to only run fixed grips for the rest of the season considering Stevenson is essentially the same lift one year older.

FWIW Shawnee's high speed lift seems to be in much better condition (smoother, cleaner, faster, newer, and more reliable) than any of the others around here.

I am wondering why Camelback runs this lift all summer rather than one of the parallel and easier to maintain fixed grips.

Edit: oh hi btw long time lurker first time poster

Edited by abe
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, EdBacon said:

Going by the pictures at least it didn't fall off over one of the stretches where its further off the ground. 

That detachable is one of the older ones around. I'm not sure on the lifespan of a detachable. I know fixed grips can run forever if you keep them in good order, owing to their relative mechanical simplicity. Not sure if detachables will have that same kind of run or if they'll need to be retired/replaced. 

Blues Comet quad and Camelbacks Stevenson quad are both a year older than the Sullivan chair. 

3 hours ago, abe said:

Blue's Comet lift is pretty much the same age 1994 except Poma.  Challenge is 2006 Poma and Tomahawk at Shawnee is 2010 Doppelmayer.

I would expect Camelback to only run fixed grips for the rest of the season considering Stevenson is essentially the same lift one year older.

FWIW Shawnee's high speed lift seems to be in much better condition (smoother, cleaner, faster, newer, and more reliable) than any of the others around here.

I am wondering why Camelback runs this lift all summer rather than one of the parallel and easier to maintain fixed grips.

Edit: oh hi btw long time lurker first time poster

I believe Blue bought their six pack used. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

Guys, it’s a detachable lift. It’s mechanical, mechanical things can fail at any given time regardless of the amount of maintenance put into it, chalk it up as an accident because until it’s proven otherwise, that’s what it was. 

True. I think? that detachables have a back-up device that is supposed to keep it from falling if the main spring thingy fails so while fails happen, two pretty big ones had to happen at once for the chair to come off. I guess it's good that it's notable for being rare. 

A friend who was on the lift about 30 min prior said it was bouncing and swaying at that same spot. Not sure what to make of that.

• Like 1

Damn, this is horrible.  I hope everything turns out ok for the people riding it.  

We all like to complain (some a lot more than others) about a lift stopping, or going down during the course of the day, but like @Kyle said, its mechanical, lots of working parts, wear items, etc.....  so i think its pretty obvious they sometimes shut lifts down to avoid issues like this.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Sullivan is listed as open today, so whatever happened yesterday must not be of a huge concern as far as lift safety goes, or they had the lift inspected at some point yesterday/last night 

I would be very surprised if that is accurate. I would think that the accident would have to be investigated and the lift thoroughly inspected before the Department of Labor and Industry and Camelbacks insurance company would let that lift run again.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I would be very surprised if that is accurate. I would think that the accident would have to be investigated and the lift thoroughly inspected before the Department of Labor and Industry and Camelbacks insurance company would let that lift run again.

That’s what I was thinking as well, I guess we’ll find out at 9am when they open. 

10 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I can't believe there is no news story about this yet other than LiftBlog guy's reporting. Camelback doing a good job hiding it so far...

I was thinking the same thing. This is an extremely newsworthy story. How did no one send a reporter out there yet? 

Camelback certainly isnt going to alert the media.  Why would they? This is a PR nightmare as it's extremely uncommon for a chairlift to fall off. I've never heard of it until Steeze posted some examples. The media probably doesnt even know about it unless they heard it on the Monroe Cty EMS like BenM, or if a witness or victim contacted them. Unless the police get involved, then perhaps the media would be made aware?

22 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I can't believe there is no news story about this yet other than LiftBlog guy's reporting. Camelback doing a good job hiding it so far...

i thought for sure i'd see something on the news here this AM, granted, i only watch the ABC affiliate, maybe it was mentioned elsewhere

21 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I checked the usuals...Pocono record, NEP and nada. I really want to know how the people on that lift are. Thanks lift blog for the insight thus far.

Send an insider tip to your girl cecily. She probably hates camelback too.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rgrwilco said:

While I won’t go to camelback just because I don’t like the place, it’s unfair to judge them based on this. If the investigation shows negligence then of course blast them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's not negligence then what would it be?