Chair incident

Lift Blog

35 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I would think a business would like to control the situation, rather than let media outlets run wild with information that is not 100% correct.  i think remaining silent on the issue is not the way to go.  

Since I've started working in EMS and also know a lot of patrollers I've been shocked at how many unreported deaths occur at resorts. It's not like it's a massive number, it's just more than you would think. There was one at Stowe this season that got some media attention, but the one at Okemo at around the same time got radio silence. 

I guess with HIPPA and everything it's pretty easy for a resort to keep that stuff quiet. But a lift failure isn't a confidentiality issue and it's pretty significant news, plus there were witnesses with cameras, so I'm really surprised that there's not been reporting on it, not just locally but in ski/ride media. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

I guess with HIPPA and everything it's pretty easy for a resort to keep that stuff quiet. But a lift failure isn't a confidentiality issue and it's pretty significant news, plus there were witnesses with cameras, so I'm really surprised that there's not been reporting on it, not just locally but in ski/ride media. 

I sent a new tips to WNEP and 2 philly stations. WNEP wrote back and said "we're working on this story today."

So, there will probably be something out today. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ok I’ll share liftblogs article.  The public should know what a bunch of assholes camelback is. 

Wait, i mean i dont have any love for camelback, but why are they “assholes?”  Did we all of a sudden figure out what happened with the lift, from all of the assumptions on PASR?

you of all people would be in the front line defending Blue if it happened there. We really dont know anything other than it happened, and a bunch of comments from FB, and liftblogs site, that i wouldnt take to the bank just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Ok I’ll share liftblogs article.  The public should know what a bunch of assholes camelback is. 

I thought you said "accidents happen"... if this happened at Blue would you be as critical??

Regardless it behooves us all to spread the word on this for our own safety, though I'll continue to ride detachable lifts anywhere without worrying about it

• Like 1

There could be many reasons camelback hasn’t addressed this publicly yet, the main one being the legal aspect of it all. 

I can almost guarantee their legal team has been advising the PR department on how to handle this since shortly after it happened. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

There could be many reasons camelback hasn’t addressed this publicly yet, the main one being the legal aspect of it all. 

I can almost guarantee their legal team has been advising the PR department on how to handle this since shortly after it happened. 

I wonder if Blue mountain has a legal team. 

32 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I thought you said "accidents happen"... if this happened at Blue would you be as critical??

Regardless it behooves us all to spread the word on this for our own safety, though I'll continue to ride detachable lifts anywhere without worrying about it

Accidents do happen but camelback has always been a bunch of assholes.  

35 minutes ago, saltyant said:

behooves is a great word. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, saltyant said:

All hear say though, as far as i am concerned. I do think camelback should make a press release before this gets completely out of Control. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

On alpinezone it was said that the 40 year old dad died on the way to the hospital. 

nevermind, toast posted what i was talking about 

nobody knows at this point.

Edited by Benm

1 minute ago, Benm said:

yah and someone in IG said they know the family and the guy was critical yesterday but expected to be ok.

nobody knows at this point.

I know one thing, that family is going to get PAID 

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I know one thing, that family is going to get PAID 

Correct but the money might go to constant care of the victims for the rest of their lives in nursing homes (based on unknown severity of issues, though anything spinal typically means great loss of life quality). I wouldn't ever want to exchange being able to function for any amount of money

Edited by saltyant
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

Camelback's senior leadership team right now....

Insurance will probably pay, but the hit on reputation might mean they wont be charging $100+ to ski and $10-$40 to park next season... this story is going to spread like wildfire very soon

Edited by saltyant