Chair incident

Lift Blog

Imo,, and I'm no expert at all, but I would think someone would be at fault.. if not camelback for its operation than the manufacturer. If someone goes after camelback they will go after the manufacturer.  I can totally understand the silence from camelback, as mentioned I'm sure their legal depart has tight reins on all communication as they can't have someone say the wrong thing.  In today's times everything would be found and used.

In the end, I hope the 'assumed' family pulls through and recovers to their maximum ability.  The most important things right now are the injured and ensuring the lift is safe going forward.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

Lots of interesting comments on LiftBlogs article. Apparently it had been jerking violently earlier in the day for no apparent reason. 

Obviously this is said with more curiosity than knowledge of lift mechanics, but it kind of reminds me of the Granby Ranch accident a few years ago in Colorado. It's the sudden stops and starts and (perhaps) consequent swaying that prompted the connection.

It makes me think there could be more to it than random chance. Maybe. Was a liftie hitting hard stops and too-soon starts? Was there a fault in the motor that created the cable dynamic?  I guess I'm curious because I find it more palatable/comfortable to think that there was a flaw or fault that could be corrected rather than it being just a crapshoot with pretty good odds unless it's not your day.

Edited by SallyCat

32 minutes ago, SallyCat said:

Obviously this is said with more curiosity than knowledge of lift mechanics, but it kind of reminds me of the Granby Ranch accident a few years ago in Colorado. It's the sudden stops and starts and (perhaps) consequent swaying that prompted the connection.

It makes me think there could be more to it than random chance. Maybe. Was a liftie hitting hard stops and too-soon starts? Was there a fault in the motor that created the cable dynamic?  I guess I'm curious because I find it more palatable/comfortable to think that there was a flaw or fault that could be corrected rather than it being just a crapshoot with pretty good odds unless it's not your day.

Didn’t the incident at Granby involve a person falling off the lift as opposed to a chair coming off the cable?  

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Didn’t the incident at Granby involve a person falling off the lift as opposed to a chair coming off the cable?  

Yes, but it was a high-speed detachable, and the cause of the fall was massive swaying that caused the chair to hit the tower.  Again, just speculating.

11 hours ago, pcklein31 said:

Imo,, and I'm no expert at all, but I would think someone would be at fault.. if not camelback for its operation than the manufacturer. If someone goes after camelback they will go after the manufacturer.  I can totally understand the silence from camelback, as mentioned I'm sure their legal depart has tight reins on all communication as they can't have someone say the wrong thing.  In today's times everything would be found and used.

In the end, I hope the 'assumed' family pulls through and recovers to their maximum ability.  The most important things right now are the injured and ensuring the lift is safe going forward.

Ultimately Camelback will be at "fault", and even if they inspected the lift the day before, or had an outside company do it, and it got an A+ rating, i mean, there still could be a part failure that is so bizarre, nobody has ever seen before, etc, but it will still be Camelbacks fault.  A part failure doesnt mean their lifts are shitty and dangerous though.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

A part failure doesnt mean their lifts are shitty and dangerous though.  

True, though a part failure that was setting off alarms and/or causing aberrant cable behavior and was ignored would be negligent.  A lift operator making hard stops and fast starts too close together would be actionable. I don't mean that I want someone to take blame no matter what, just that there could certainly be negligence, or a combination of mechanical failure and negligence. Like everyone else I hope the final investigation provides clarity. 

15 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Shows what assholes the people at camelback are. 

Although they are for charging for parking (at peak times), what else has Camelback done to be called "assholes"? I had a grate time there one week ago, and zero complaints 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by saltyant

I agree. They had to go above and beyond for Salty to enjoy his visit with 100% satisfaction. That ain't a small thing.

And skicamelsack was a bitter hater. His first few posts weren't even from CB, and yet so poisonous. Good riddance.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eaf said:

I agree. They had to go above and beyond for Salty to enjoy his visit with 100% satisfaction. That ain't a small thing.

I'm generally happy wherever I ski as long as the resorts don't do anything too stupid, such as leave 1/3 of the double lifts empty in a long line during non-pandemic times due to sloppy queue management 

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

Epic's "big announcement" from today was postponed....

Wonder what their "big announcement" is? I already found via Google that the stupid reservations wont be needed next season. Zat all??

Edited by saltyant

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

Although they are for charging for parking (at peak times), what else has Camelback done to be called "assholes"? I had a grate time there one week ago, and zero complaints 🤷🏻‍♂️

You really wanna go there? I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a list.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

You really wanna go there? I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a list.

What's your biggest complaint? I'm just wondering, it's not like I have stake in the company or something. Most of the complaints I've read on here are that there are waterslides and that the place has a "circus" vibe, though those arent relevant to me in the slightest

And I do realize you've all been skiing way way longer than I, so I assume CB must have wronged you all somehow in the past??

Edited by saltyant

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

What's your biggest complaint? I'm just wondering, it's not like I have stake in the company or something. Most of the complaints I've read on here are that there are waterslides and that the place has a "circus" vibe, though those arent relevant to me in the slightest

And I do realize you've all been skiing way way longer than I, so I assume CB must have wronged you all somehow in the past??

My biggest complaint in general has been unfriendly to borderline rude employees. Not sure if they still have the courtesy patrol people or not, but being screamed at for skiing switch on an empty trail isn't giving off the most friendly and welcoming vibe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1