Chair incident

Lift Blog

6 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

My biggest complaint in general has been unfriendly to borderline rude employees. Not sure if they still have the courtesy patrol people or not, but being screamed at for skiing switch on an empty trail isn't giving off the most friendly and welcoming vibe. 

I didnt have any negative experiences with ski patrol and the courtesy patrol, though I don't ski as fast as you all. The one patrol dude was very helpful and got my pole for me when I dropped it right below Stevenson.

I've found the employees to be mostly friendly and professional, except the lift attendant Andrea who was very rude to me when I tried to pair up with people as a single. "I'm in charge here, not you!!!" Hopefully she's moved on to a non customer service role as she sucked at it

Edited by saltyant

10 minutes ago, Schif said:

My only real complaint about Camelback is that it's at least 70% runout. Can't blame anyone on that though, just the mountain itself. 

I agree and I've understood this is a large reason why Blue is better (plus higher vert). I still enjoy the front 4 at CB as they are legit steep, albeit short

Problems with Camelback... I mean ok so this will be subjective but:

First thing I see when I drive down the access road is a giant cement box with tubes poking out. The waterpark looks ugly from the outside and totally blocks the view of the mountain as you drive up. Great first impression. Parking lots are paved. Parking lots require you pay a fee now at peak times. No tailgating in the lots. I used to drive into the upper lot and look for a spot, now they have attendants that direct traffic. Last time I was at CBK when I turned into a lot to look for a space I got chased down and kicked out for entering a "full" lot. 

The proliferation of non-ski related stuff on the mountain to the detriment of skiers. The re-alignment of ski trails in order to place said non-ski attractions. Allowing non-skier hotel guests to wander over ski trails to access said non-ski attractions. Really tone-deaf, corporate feeling marketing and communication teams. Over zealous ski patrol who will pull a pass if they find you off the groomers. The removal of one of their steeper runs to place a terrain park, where their original terrain park was self contained on its own lift. Not keeping up with the terrain park street art program which was super unique. 

Finally the prices, which are VT prices. 

• Like 4

All of these complaints towards Camelback are valid but they aren't in the business of being the mountain for people like us. If I were a casual skier with a family from the New York/New Jersey area I would find a huge list of grievance with Blue. Not enough green circle terrain, no infrastructure, no lodging, no outside of skiing attractions, a bare bones lower lodge, not enough snow tubing, the list could go on and on. For people like this Camelback is perfect. It's like a Six Flags in the winter and people who value safety and security probably really like the fact that someone tells them where to park and there are people controlling skiers speed and seemingly reckless behavior. The extremely unique thing about where we live is that the Poconos have so many mountains close together it's like picking a restaurant.  Not every place fits every person but you can definitely find your fit. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

My grievances from that list are paid parking, no tailgating, and VT pricing. Other matters cited dont really bother me. But to each their own 🤷🏻‍♂️

Elk pulls passes for skiing off groomers as well.

And I'd like Elk more if they didn't but they have other things going for them. 

4 minutes ago, Schif said:

All of these complaints towards Camelback are valid but they aren't in the business of being the mountain for people like us. If I were a casual skier with a family from the New York/New Jersey area I would find a huge list of grievance with Blue. Not enough green circle terrain, no infrastructure, no lodging, no outside of skiing attractions, a bare bones lower lodge, not enough snow tubing, the list could go on and on. For people like this Camelback is perfect. It's like a Six Flags in the winter and people who value safety and security probably really like the fact that someone tells them where to park and there are people controlling skiers speed and seemingly reckless behavior. The extremely unique thing about where we live is that the Poconos have so many mountains close together it's like picking a restaurant.  Not every place fits every person but you can definitely find your fit. 

Absolutely. Like I said, this is subjective. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SallyCat said:

Was a liftie hitting hard stops and too-soon starts?

3 hours ago, SallyCat said:

A lift operator making hard stops and fast starts too close together would be actionable.

All of the stop buttons a lift operator has access to are designed to be used any time and stop the lift safely. Similarly, lifts which need a certain amount of time between stops for the rope to settle have that built in. An operator cannot start the lift until that set time has passed.

The lift operator title is a bit of a misnomer. People in that position are trained in very basic operation and customer service.

The only way I could see a lift operator being at fault is if something was clearly wrong with the lift and they failed to alert lift maintenance. Lifties are trained to call for help when they get faults or problems. If human error is found to be involved, it is more likely to be on the maintenance side than lift operators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

My grievances from that list are paid parking, no tailgating, and VT pricing. Other matters cited dont really bother me. But to each their own 🤷🏻‍♂️

Elk pulls passes for skiing off groomers as well.

The elk folks are also a bunch of assholes for their dumb slogan, not allowing tree skiing and no high speed lifts. Jack Frost dan said the grooming there is good. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

I wonder if this will impact the blue sale...

I would think not, if it's structured the way we think it is w/ EPR Properties "buying" Blue and then leasing out the operations to another company like KSL or Vail or just leave existing Blue management in place to run it.
I'm guessing that structuring it that way probably creates a pretty good separation between EPR and liability issues like this one, since EPR just funds the mountain and the operator assumes liability.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I would think not, if it's structured the way we think it is w/ EPR Properties "buying" Blue and then leasing out the operations to another company like KSL or Vail or just leave existing Blue management in place to run it.
I'm guessing that structuring it that way probably creates a pretty good separation between EPR and liability issues like this one, since EPR just funds the mountain and the operator assumes liability.

shell companies the whole way down

• Like 4