Colorado skifari 4/12-4/19...

4/15/21

Copper mountain day 3 of 6. 

Hey All,

I’m back from a fun day at Copper mountain.  I got Mickey dees breakfast this AM plus had some coffee from hotel.  Took my time getting ready and parked in the free Alpine lot at Copper mountain essentially like the fifth or sixth row.  Booted up..took shuttle bus to east village and got my copper card from a kiosk same as at blue and Abasin then you can add on and use the same card.  

I made my way to the Super Bee six pack..it wasn’t open yet and maybe 40-50 kids doing training or competition at the front of the line anyway managed maybe the 15th chair and it was warminh maybe around 30 degrees and had my own chair so could go maskless. Made my way down to center village via Ptarmigan and a few connecting runs to the bubble chair..shared that with two kids bar was down bubble up that is one heck of a lift. Shields from the wind pretty well. 

Skied into the Timblerline area from there which is usually a hopping place and it was a ghost town..did some laps there because the snow conditions weren’t that great and that area is mellow enough that I can let em run..also went into the alpine once and instead of getting pictures took pictures of a group.  It’s a real touristy crowd...I answered a few people’s questions about where the bus goes and what not..

i skied some blue and green and one black up high some little pitches weren’t groomed which made for a challenge as conditions were variable. Usually I’d want to stop at an upper mountain cantina for a jack and coke or maybe an IPA and a bag of chips but the weather wasn’t that good..some snow showers, high winds in some spots..increasing clouds.  Person on the chair said NOAA said 3-8” new for tomorrow AM.  I already pre booked Abasin for tomorrow I think it could be a junk show..depends how much falls overnight.  

I took a break in the woods then skied back to the east village..took the shuttle bus back to my car with a few people from earlier bus I know they got like 20k vert..I didn’t ski that much..spent some time taking pictures and traversing some woods I did go across patches and what not you never forget how to do that kind of skiing but an initial hop turn was tentative.  I skied a lot of long runs today..and some short runs in the timblerline area..lots of rollers..not my ting  

Had a fast mexican lunch in Frisco on the way back to hotel.  Tacos and rice were good soup sort of burnt tasting.  

I have more pictures here’s some for now.  

0465AFB8-706D-4C02-A421-614678B8D0E2.jpeg

118AB744-D572-4E71-A589-5EB784249643.jpeg

496C2FFB-5519-42F5-95D1-844F836AB20A.jpeg

E02EEB4C-8530-4331-B194-175E6D6F5C3C.jpeg

212F2B31-833D-4EC4-BDA4-FA1F3ECBB375.jpeg

DC0ADB12-B132-4C2B-ABAB-CE874A049AE0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Had a fast mexican lunch in Frisco on the way back to hotel.  Tacos and rice were good soup sort of burnt tasting.  

212F2B31-833D-4EC4-BDA4-FA1F3ECBB375.jpeg

Did you go to Fiesta Jalisco (in the plaza with the McDonalds & Office Max)?

http://www.fiestajalisco.net/

I love that place. You can get margaritas by the PITCHER. After doing some 14er hikes or camping back in the day, those margaritas were looovely. 

4/18/21...

Abasin day 6 of 6.  Likely last day of the skison. 

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun day at Abasin. I woke up around 4am today with a pretty bad headache.  I’ve suffered from some altitude sickness this trip.  I’ve had it worse in the past with sinus issues in addition to headache/ear issues and lack of appetite.  A part of me wanted to sleep in as there’s no new snow but by how early the crowds descended on Loveland yesterday, I needed to get moving or I’d be parked in Kansas.  

I packed up my suite at the hampton inn and left housekeeping a $10 tip(I had do not disturb sign up the whole 6 nights)...I had plenty of towels and didn’t really shower that much anyway.  Was out of the hotel by 8am and in the frigid lot at Abasin by 820am still a few rows of parking left in the early riser lot.  Booted up and on the black mountain express in the first wave of people.  Took a fast groomer first then back up BMX to Lenawee and had to be single digits on the upper mountain with more clouds than sun.  Skied powerline still a little untracked but was stiffer than the last two days likely from the wind. 

Then took lenawee again shortish liftline..just amazing how especially this season people get to the hill early.  Took the rope tow over to montezuma, stopped in the woods for a safety break. I bought three pre rolled joints the first day of the trip and pretty much smoked a half of one per ski day.  Don’t cry for me, I went HAM on edibles, I ate like seven 100mg packs of gummies in six days....woooo

Went back to the front face, skied to the base of Pali, up Pali chair and did Davis again which I skied the first two days of the trip. My head was hurting I was hot and cold...I was mainly trying to end the season Uninjured and I dialed it back a little which made me more tired.  It was only like 1045 when I boarded the beavers chair and was thinking time to cash in my chips for the trip.  Skied another top to bottom on the front face with a stop in the woods to ski then skied back to my row in the parking lot...of course even though the early riser lot was closed there were people driving around looking for spaces.  Within on minute of returning to my car somebody asked me if I was leaving..I just said no.  Debooted, packed my ski bag up..hit the vape a few times and took the scenic route back to Denver over Loveland pass.  

The drive back to Denver was uneventful..took an hour exactly to get to the Hyatt place by the airport as I watched the temperature rise from the low 20s to the upper 50s with some snow on the ground until right outside of Denver.  Got gas, just under $40 worth and was lucky to get early checkin at the Hyatt place, was under $100 for the room I booked early this AM. 

I didnt take many pictures today and the best ones were on the drive from Abasin to Denver.  All in all was a good trip with some winter weather and about half the snow I skied was untracked or lightly tracked. 

F7808E95-D087-4C46-8A61-9FD64F940264.jpeg

5AC4B2CA-587F-4AD6-80D5-BC71B67747F4.jpeg

1A6DC55C-2FE4-4286-846D-31B599ECEC10.jpeg

4842D032-924C-4C88-8C84-C0B210900CAE.jpeg

DEBAAEE0-959B-4C52-BB8E-3BD4D8B1FAA8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1