21/22 Epic Pass Prices

EdBacon

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

At this point getting in more trips for me is more of a work issue than a money issue.  

Same. 

Plus I feel bad ditching my wife and kids for more than 1 week, and they can't swing more than a week ski trip with school/work.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Gotta start thinking about where (if?) I'm gonna head out west this year. Probably should skip a year, but then on the other hand . . . I don't want to.

I'm up for splitting a condo again if you'd like... basically anywhere out west is good with me as long as it's on the Epic Pass, except for Park City because I was there last year. I'd like to check out Vail, Breckenridge or Keystone. Wouldn't mind planning it now so we can lock in a radical deal somewhere.

10 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Cause its an expensive week's vacation just for me. If I was single I'd take at least two trips every year. Hard to justify when we're a family of four and I'm the only one who benefits.

Who says you’re the only one who benefits? 😏

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Cause its an expensive week's vacation just for me. If I was single I'd take at least two trips every year. Hard to justify when we're a family of four and I'm the only one who benefits.

I never remember you being so Altruistic.  Does your wife ever take a girls trip?   If not that’s her fault..you’d allow it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Yes I have been following the local politics of this closely. As with every mountain town, CB has a housing shortage. The locals have their pitchforks out for people like me, assholes who short term rent their homes. Their proposed solution is to impose a $10,000 per year ‘community preservation fee’ tax on people who do not live in their homes more than 6 months per year. 

I understand this is a problem, but it didn’t get created in one season and it will not get solved in one season. It is creating quite an “us vs them” mentality in the valley. But this is true of the country as a whole right now it seems. The rub with their logic is that even if I did not short term rent my home, I would not rent it long term to locals because then I could never use it. Also, the people who rent contribute to the local economy by going out to eat, buying t-shirts, renting mountain bikes etc. 

I, as a person who cares about the community, have given generously to local causes in the area as have many other second home owners. I am also happy to contribute to a housing fund, but do not think it is fair to put this burden solely on second homeowners. City governments and their policies over the years have played a major role. It will be on the November ballot whether to impose the tax and, of course, only locals will be voting on it. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Barb said:

Yes I have been following the local politics of this closely. As with every mountain town, CB has a housing shortage. The locals have their pitchforks out for people like me, assholes who short term rent their homes. Their proposed solution is to impose a $10,000 per year ‘community preservation fee’ tax on people who do not live in their homes more than 6 months per year. 

I understand this is a problem, but it didn’t get created in one season and it will not get solved in one season. It is creating quite an “us vs them” mentality in the valley. But this is true of the country as a whole right now it seems. The rub with their logic is that even if I did not short term rent my home, I would not rent it long term to locals because then I could never use it. Also, the people who rent contribute to the local economy by going out to eat, buying t-shirts, renting mountain bikes etc. 

I, as a person who cares about the community, have given generously to local causes in the area as have many other second home owners. I am also happy to contribute to a housing fund, but do not think it is fair to put this burden solely on second homeowners. City governments and their policies over the years have played a major role. It will be on the November ballot whether to impose the tax and, of course, only locals will be voting on it. 

This was a big issue in Vermont..google Act 60.  Essentially second homeowners had to pay a much higher property tax rate.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barb said:

This is going on in the Poconos too.  Unfortunately my development has gone from "vacation community" when i bought, to "rental community" now.  The influx of STR's is insane.  It used to be owners basically renting their homes a few weeks and weekends here and there to offset the cost of the home.  i did it for a little while and determined i hated it, and would never do it again.  Now there are a bunch of people with multiple homes, purpose built for rentals. Owners with no intent of ever spending one night in the home.   i mean, we are talking 6-8 bedroom homes claiming "sleeps 25", which is causing issues with the amenities in the community that havent been expanded upon.  Not that i like the beach, but you should see what it looks like here on the weekends.....its just packed beyond reasonable capacity.  People like to say this is good for the "local" economy, and i think you would agree, the local economy of Albrightsville, and Crested Butte are two completely different things.  I think the CB economy is based more heavily on tourism then Albrightsville.  People go to CB to hike, ski, watch birds, look at flowers, walk around town.  I guess you could say the same for Albrightsville, but i do believe its a completely different clientele.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

This is going on in the Poconos too.  Unfortunately my development has gone from "vacation community" when i bought, to "rental community" now.  The influx of STR's is insane.  It used to be owners basically renting their homes a few weeks and weekends here and there to offset the cost of the home.  i did it for a little while and determined i hated it, and would never do it again.  Now there are a bunch of people with multiple homes, purpose built for rentals. Owners with no intent of ever spending one night in the home.   i mean, we are talking 6-8 bedroom homes claiming "sleeps 25", which is causing issues with the amenities in the community that havent been expanded upon.  Not that i like the beach, but you should see what it looks like here on the weekends.....its just packed beyond reasonable capacity.  People like to say this is good for the "local" economy, and i think you would agree, the local economy of Albrightsville, and Crested Butte are two completely different things.  I think the CB economy is based more heavily on tourism then Albrightsville.  People go to CB to hike, ski, watch birds, look at flowers, walk around town.  I guess you could say the same for Albrightsville, but i do believe its a completely different clientele.  

The response in CB is to put together a preservation tax. The response in Albrightsville is to knock down more trees and build another f'ing dollar geneal.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

The response in CB is to put together a preservation tax. The response in Albrightsville is to knock down more trees and build another f'ing dollar geneal.

I prefer Dollar Tree, not only is everything actually $1 but I just think the aesthetics of the store are nicer. Dollar Generals always seem to be disheveled and seemingly dirty. The one near me in Philly was really convenient but I always felt like I was annoying someone just by being in there. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

The Walmart of rural Pennsylvania 

Truth.  There is one right near me at the Poconos, which i used to stop in before i went to the house.  They really have everything, half and half, extension cords, brake fluid, socks, eggs and lighters.  

Place was always jammed, but in the area, there really isnt alot to offer except the over priced market down the street.  There is another DG about 5 miles down the road, towards Jim Thorpe, and another about 10 miles in Blakeslee, and as Dom said, they are trying to build another one right in between this one and the one in Blakeslee.   The area doesnt need more of the same shit.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

in Blakeslee

the newer one on 115 near the racetrack? shit is fukkin mint i love that one.

better than a wawa on every corner.

are they really trying to build that new one? i thought it was just an urban legend.

1 hour ago, Benm said:

the newer one on 115 near the racetrack? shit is fukkin mint i love that one.

better than a wawa on every corner.

are they really trying to build that new one? i thought it was just an urban legend.

The new one on 534 was shot down by the township thankfully.  That would have crushed the family owned business right next door called sunnys...who have awesome hoagies btw and now serve ice cream!

• Thanks 1