Utah on a spring break

eaf

39 minutes ago, eaf said:

Who can guess what this is? It sits on the slopes, just a little higher than the base area. There’s a Nordic groomed trail going by it. We haven’t seen a soul over there, but it’s supposed to be a popular and “most unique” place.

I’ll post the answer after we come back from the afternoon session. 

02C80C55-976E-418F-8DF9-FA8460AF0C7B.jpeg

https://www.solitudemountain.com/mountain-and-village/dining/the-yurt

• Haha 1

Heh, right. The Yurt.

When we first spotted it we thought nothing of it. Well, perhaps John looked recognizable, but the yurt itself wasn’t anything to write home about.

That’s until I read about how “adventurous diners could follow a guide through snow covered evergreens on snowshoes to this secluded Mongolian Yurt for a five course extravaganza” 🤣

$125 per person is a steal, corking fees included.

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Heh, right. The Yurt.

When we first spotted it we thought nothing of it. Well, perhaps John looked recognizable, but the yurt itself wasn’t anything to write home about.

That’s until I read about how “adventurous diners could follow a guide through snow covered evergreens on snowshoes to this secluded Mongolian Yurt for a five course extravaganza” 🤣

$125 per person is a steal, corking fees included.

You’re already in Utah after standing in hour line security lines in Newark what’s another $125.  I say that and on my ski trip I’ll definitely hit up chili’s, ruby Tuesdays and maybe even Wendy’s cause YOLO...I doubt I even spend $500 total on food and drink my last Colorado trip.  Was a lot of pizza, fast food and bar food.  Enjoy yourself Eaf. 

• Sad 1

Today was no spring skiing.

Temperatures dropped below freezing yesterday afternoon, and it was just single digits in the morning. But the great part was that they groomed when it was cold, and it never got warm during the day, do today was a winter wonderland.

Spectacular groomers that just  screamed to be hugged for their perfection. Even in the afternoon when corduroy was long gone, it was still smooth, firm, fast and edgeable. No piles, no mashed potatoes, winter conditions in short.

Buuuuut everything else was still frozen.

IDK, looking at continuously sunny weather, nice groomer skiing and super thin crowds, it doesn’t look like Utah at all 😂

• Like 1
  • Boner City 1

1 minute ago, eaf said:

Today was no spring skiing.

Temperatures dropped below freezing yesterday afternoon, and it was just single digits in the morning. But the great part was that they groomed when it was cold, and it never got warm during the day, do today was a winter wonderland.

Spectacular groomers that just  screamed to be hugged for their perfection. Even in the afternoon when corduroy was long gone, it was still smooth, firm, fast and edgeable. No piles, no mashed potatoes, winter conditions in short.

Buuuuut everything else was still frozen.

IDK, looking at continuously sunny weather, nice groomer skiing and super thin crowds, it doesn’t look like Utah at all 😂

@eafWTGAI maybe speak some Russian to us 

29 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’re already in Utah after standing in hour line security lines in Newark what’s another $125.  I say that and on my ski trip I’ll definitely hit up chili’s, ruby Tuesdays and maybe even Wendy’s cause YOLO...I doubt I even spend $500 total on food and drink my last Colorado trip.  Was a lot of pizza, fast food and bar food.  Enjoy yourself Eaf. 

Well, $125 may not be an outrageously high price tag for a dinner, it’s the contrast between the cost and how the venue looks that seems a little ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, eaf said:

Well, $125 may not be an outrageously high price tag for a dinner, it’s the contrast between the cost and how the venue looks that seems a little ridiculous.

@theprogram4went somewhere on a ski trip where he had to cross country ski to a remote lodge for supper.  

6 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@theprogram4went somewhere on a ski trip where he had to cross country ski to a remote lodge for supper.  

Speaking of cross country, the elevation is totally killing me. I’m usually pretty good at going uphill even in alpine skis, but here I start gasping for air ridiculously fast, and gator has to go. If I had to fill out a COVID questionnaire today, yep, a big ✔️ against shortness of breath.

2 minutes ago, eaf said:

Speaking of cross country, the elevation is totally killing me. I’m usually pretty good at going uphill even in alpine skis, but here I start gasping for air ridiculously fast, and gator has to go. If I had to fill out a COVID questionnaire today, yep, a big ✔️ against shortness of breath.

Well you can skip the gator while skiing.  We all feel your pain. 

1 hour ago, eaf said:

We’re gonna ski Brighton tomorrow. Already eyeballed part of it from the Summit Express, and it looked great from the distance ;)

I think I saw Solitude from the Milly Lift. Anyway, the Milly Lift is the best part of Brighton in my opinion. You should love the groomers off that. In fact there are many many fantastic groomers accessible from each lift that are a ton of fun.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Yes in aspen.  The only time in my life I’ve been on skis.  They don’t have edges lol.  The track was a sheet of nice and alot of people were eating shit.  One lady broke her wrist.  

2 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Yes in aspen.  The only time in my life I’ve been on skis.  They don’t have edges lol.  The track was a sheet of nice and alot of people were eating shit.  One lady broke her wrist.  

It sounds dumb as XC skiing is hard for noobs. All for soup or salad some pasta, chicken or beef and maybe a thin slice of pie wow 

6 hours ago, eaf said:

Does anybody know if there is a ticket office at the bottom of the Milly lift, or do I need to go to the main parking area?

When I was there a couple weeks ago the ticket windows were not open at Milly, but the automated machine was active.  If you bought your ticket online you can just scan the barcode from the email and get your card.

If you are redeeming off an Ikon, I'm pretty sure you need to go to the main set of ticket windows.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pcklein31 said:

When I was there a couple weeks ago the ticket windows were not open at Milly, but the automated machine was active.  If you bought your ticket online you can just scan the barcode from the email and get your card.

If you are redeeming off an Ikon, I'm pretty sure you need to go to the main set of ticket windows.

Awesome, we have printed barcodes, so will park at Milly then.

• Like 1