Storm Skiing Journal Podcast

abe

https://www.stormskiing.com/p/podcast-40-montage-mountain-managing

This is a month old now but I just listened to it (on 2x speed). I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here - an interview with Montage's owner Charles Jefferson.  There is some pretty interesting stuff discussed:

-The guy did not ski until after he bought Montage

-Providing good customer and passholder experience, affordable season passes and midweek tickets, and making snow in March

-Long Haul is being rehabilitated like the others lifts there but not replaced due to the unique Montage crowd flow

-Hotel plans and year round business

-Long term possibilities of cutting a blue trail to the bottom and possibilities to expand

-Montage asked Indy Pass about what joining would look like last year but apparently Indy said something about only having one mountain per region - which is weird because if you look at the Indy map there is a big hole in PA other than Shawnee - especially how close many are in NH, and New England in general - and Shawnee is not really an expert's ski hill - and Philly area/East PA is probably the worst-served market on the East coast by Indy pass.  Which does raise some though about the April 27 Indy Pass announcement, with the price increase and "more value" and "exciting additions" - Will we see Montage or any other PA areas added?

Overall I was also struck just how different the philosophy this guy has of running Montage seems to be different from Vail, and how open he was talking about business  details and stuff to the podcast.

Edited by abe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Not quite finished with it but this is a great talk. Thanks for sharing it @abe!

I think his business philosophy is grate. I will definitely keep this guy in mind and his Philadelphia based firm to possibly reach out to for a potential school project. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Now how can you listen to a podcast on 2x speed?  Is the speech crazy fast like that micro machines guy. 

Haha I have gotten used to watching college online lectures at 1.25-2x speed depending on how fast the people talk and how confusing the subject is.  The first few seconds few sound like gibberish still until I get adjusted.

Some of these bonehead professors make videos longer than their regular lecture time would be

22 hours ago, abe said:

Haha I have gotten used to watching college online lectures at 1.25-2x speed depending on how fast the people talk and how confusing the subject is.  The first few seconds few sound like gibberish still until I get adjusted.

Some of these bonehead professors make videos longer than their regular lecture time would be

Damn bonehead professors...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1