Ski Arlberg 2022

sibhusky

I just booked a trip to Lech in the Arlberg region of Austria. We picked Lech because of its central location and quieter atmosphere. As it turned out, prices were comparable to St. Anton. Will post a trip report when we go. In the meantime, I'm looking for any tidbit of info from anyone who has been.

• Like 6

• AtomicSkier changed the title to Ski Arlberg 2022

Yeah, I was there once: https://www.paskiandride.com/forums/topic/19428-ski-arlberg

Flew to Zurich, stayed in Warth at Airbnb about 20 mins away from the lifts. Haus Huber was like $800 for 7 nights, 2BR apartment. Warth was really quiet, but also on the outskirts, so I think while we initially planned to ski all the way to St. Anton, we realized that it was a little too far and it would really be just get-there-and-start-going-back-right-away kind of a day. We did ski their White Ring route and crossed through Lech a number of times. Liked the atmosphere there, but it was certainly not as quiet as Warth.

Aside from skiing, spent half a day at St. Gallen on the way there, did a day trip to Neuschwanstein in the middle of the week and out of nowhere hit a festival in Bezau while going back to the airport.

Do people think it's safe to book skiing trips abroad already? Dolomites didn't open even for one day last winter.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, eaf said:

Yeah, I was there once: https://www.paskiandride.com/forums/topic/19428-ski-arlberg

Flew to Zurich, stayed in Warth at Airbnb about 20 mins away from the lifts. Haus Huber was like $800 for 7 nights, 2BR apartment. Warth was really quiet, but also on the outskirts, so I think while we initially planned to ski all the way to St. Anton, we realized that it was a little too far and it would really be just get-there-and-start-going-back-right-away kind of a day. We did ski their White Ring route and crossed through Lech a number of times. Liked the atmosphere there, but it was certainly not as quiet as Warth.

Aside from skiing, spent half a day at St. Gallen on the way there, did a day trip to Neuschwanstein in the middle of the week and out of nowhere hit a festival in Bezau while going back to the airport.

Do people think it's safe to book skiing trips abroad already? Dolomites didn't open even for one day last winter.

Welcome back Eaf!!  Are you starting to get excited for the great Allentown fair?

Safe in terms of them not opening or maybe closing again? Well, that's why I didn't reserve for September.  Background:  We were supposed to go for a touring trip last September but Europe was "closed".  I got all the hotel money back, but United only gave me a credit, which must be used by March.  So, the farthest out I can go is March.  I think the EU wants to open by July, but things are so up in the air, I decided to abandon the trip (probably forever) we had originally planned and do a ski trip instead.  I am now having issues with travel insurance which I hadn't anticipated.  United will insure the full price of the air tickets but not against Covid.  The place I went through before won't allow me Cancel for Any Reason because you must do that within a certain number of days of the FIRST payment and the travel credit means I have to count the first payment as back in November 2019.  And that's the only way they will cover Covid.  Now the initial policy was CFAR, so I'm going to try and get them to extend that policy to new dates.  We will see.  I never realized that darn credit was going to be such a problem.  

Edited by sibhusky

• 10 months later...

As it turned out, did not get much skiing in. The days were in the mid to upper 50's, the nights well above freezing. Snow was sloppy. Way more people in some areas them I'm used to (well, the last 18 years anyway) and then there was a sand storm from the Sahara which did not improve conditions. Never go somewhere to ski in March, it's too unpredictable.

Below are three little videos from the trip. Not much skiing, but plenty of food for Doug.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 4/12/2022 at 5:40 AM, Barb said:

Food looks amazing!  Especially the schnitzel.  And always  love looking at European architecture. 

The hotel we stayed in in Innsbruck was built in 1473. 

• Like 4