2021-22 winter ski season thread...

Saw Warren Miller’s movie at Academy of Natural Sciences with @Schif tonight. Here’s a little trip report. 

at 6:15pm, we were sipping drinks at my house and decided to go on a whim. By 6:30, we left my house and 15 min later, we showed up in a room full of dinosaur bones.

You walk in and to your right was a t-rex

BFD0842F-7AE8-4CF7-8C1D-CCEC15B61689.thumb.jpeg.01e992ff80261d0d268b5a15afba8046.jpeg

18555ACC-02CF-493E-9863-2DD024C858E4.thumb.jpeg.ec18cc7c46fee0ab65720dd943a98ff1.jpeg

And straight on - some polar bears and more bones.

18357A60-061F-4BFA-81E8-D84E20EA184E.thumb.jpeg.1ad3afc6b29bc3c8260367264942ca52.jpeg

but I knew I was in the right spot for the sheer number of people wearing Patagonia.

tickets were $22 at the door. the guy at the door was like you can venmo me - eh it’s fine, you can just go in. Here’s a ticket. 🤷🏼‍♀️ So can’t complain. 

I’ve been to maybe 10 or so ski movies - basically annually + some one offs… once in San Fran for Pretty Faces and the rest were at the Boulder Theatre & Paramount in Denver around 2009-2015 with a group of old friends from tgr or with my brother. They were always sold out shows and the energy was electrifying. It was a huge event.

In Colorado, they use to give out skis, jackets, base layers and toss Hestra gloves to get the crowd hype.

At the show tonight, a blind guy with a strong arm threw out about 3 Warren Miller shirts and a beach ball. 

I always love ski movies. It gets me super hyped and makes me want to firm up my ski plans

but …. I have some thoughts on the movie itself. It felt very 2020. 

has anyone else seen it?

• Like 3
  • Boner City 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skiincy said:

has anyone else seen it

We went  yesterday to NCCC for the show. I enjoyed it. And a product toss would have been fun, but the theater there is probably not the place for it! Had dinner afterwards at Copperhead Grill in Allentown. I’d never been there. Good beer list, but the food was just ok. Too much likeTGI Friday/ Applebee’s. 

Saw it last night with Pops and ran into the coupe Mute there as well. The film itself was enjoyable. I probably won’t go again. I figured at the very least get an Elk voucher out of it, but the date restrictions essentially make it a $10 off midweek coupon. There was no real atmosphere to speak of. Next year we should just stream a WM movie at Jeff’s backyard fete.

• Like 2

I was expecting a lot more atmosphere but there really wasn't much. I thought it would be the kind of thing that would elicit a lot of hooting and hollering from the crowd but it was pretty quiet in there. 

Also, I was shocked with the amount of time that they spent showing people skiing groomers. Maybe next year they will send a camera crew to watch us on Switchback. 

I didn’t make it this year,  the NCCC
Lipkin theatre is pretty cool venue. I started going for the Elk passes but kinda turned into family night. 
Got there late one year and younger son got to pull names… Sure enough he pulled his brothers name Lol. He claims he didn’t look. Couple Blue passes. 

Agree the Elk blackout most of the season stinks but I’ve hit a lake effect powder day that was crazy. 

Thanks for the report Nancy. I’ve never been to a Warren Miller movie although when I was a kid I owned several of them on VHS. When I was in college there was a matchstick productions movie and I know legends John and Dan Egan were there.  

I notice everybody is masked so I googled it and Philly still has an indoor mask mandate..wow.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

12 minutes ago, saltyant said:

That looks rad. I'm pretty stoked for a full season on my new Elan Ripsticks. Should be grate

Think cold thoughts  SaltyAnus, we need the temperatures to trend down a few degrees for any chance of a Root Friday or even an early December opening at Blue the true!!!

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Think cold thoughts  SaltyAnus, we need the temperatures to trend down a few degrees for any chance of a Root Friday or even an early December opening at Blue the true!!!

i will go to Debbie Downer status and say you will need to find another activity to occupy yourself with, we will not be skiing at Blue by black friday, or that weekend.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i will go to Debbie Downer status and say you will need to find another activity to occupy yourself with, we will not be skiing at Blue by black friday, or that weekend.  

I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday and like she does every year asked when Blue mountain opened and I end up giving way to long of an answer...followed by but it’s cold out already...

mid december is my guess and hope...would be nice to have some pre Xmas skiing before the crowds descend and will be nice to have the lower lot open ASAP...last year we were barely in the upper lot..I think two weekends.  

JADIP

Went to Lipkin Theater NCC Saturday with the wife after a dinner date at 21 Crafthouse. Had to get the Spanakopita Turkey Meatballs when I saw it on the menu in honor of @MrsSnowBunSki and her spanakopita. I thought the movie was good and got the stoke level rising. Made me wish I skied Snow King when I was out there. I walked there one morning before my flight out but they wanted like $60 and I only had a hour so I passed. It was good to see @enjoralas and pops and kind of funny they sat right next to us without seeing us.

10F2E3CE-173A-4ADD-9DCB-3476EF1887FC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday and like she does every year asked when Blue mountain opened and I end up giving way to long of an answer...followed by but it’s cold out already...

mid december is my guess and hope...would be nice to have some pre Xmas skiing before the crowds descend and will be nice to have the lower lot open ASAP...last year we were barely in the upper lot..I think two weekends.  

JADIP

Oh wao, I haven't been paying attention to what's open or what's what but I see some Perder out my window so I guess I'll start checking out the scene. Since I have Epic Pass I'll hit BB if it opens first and will be making some trips to JF a few times since I've only skied it once and it was rad. I'll also make some trips to Hunter, going to Stowe with possibly @skiincy meeting me there, and then to Breckenridge the first week of March. My friend Matt who came to Blue last year is going there on a family trip and I'll ski with him for 2 days. Haven't booked anything so if @enjoralas and @popsare interested you're certainly welcome to join me!

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Oh wao, I haven't been paying attention to what's open or what's what but I see some Perder out my window so I guess I'll start checking out the scene. Since I have Epic Pass I'll hit BB if it opens first and will be making some trips to JF a few times since I've only skied it once and it was rad. I'll also make some trips to Hunter, going to Stowe with possibly @skiincy meeting me there, and then to Breckenridge the first week of March. My friend Matt who came to Blue last year is going there on a family trip and I'll ski with him for 2 days. Haven't booked anything so if @enjoralas and @popsare interested you're certainly welcome to join me!

@GrilledSteezeSandwich this is grate

• Boner City 1

1 minute ago, saltyant said:

The best part of this ski season will be when I attain Gold Medalist status just like you. That's been one of my life goals for as long as I can remember. Maybe @ridge will bake me another cake with a gold medalist on it.

20211115_112734.jpg.d5da2f77c9d1716fdc593f1244e1ad54.jpg

I just crossed 80,000 posts...but I’ve been posting on PASR for 16 years so only 5,000 posts per year on average. Salty I have faith in you that you will one day be a gold medalist.  

• Boner City 1

8 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I just crossed 80,000 posts...but I’ve been posting on PASR for 16 years so only 5,000 posts per year on average. Salty I have faith in you that you will one day be a gold medalist.  

Wow, only 13.7 posts per day on average. I wonder how that number varies during ski season vs not ski season. Maybe @toast21602 will run some quantitative analysis on your account and post the results.

I went to the warren Miller premier in philly 2 years ago pretty much for the vouchers. The movies are generally terrible, and the vibe usually about the same. I think the glory days of rowdy movie premier parties in the mid Atlantic are pretty much dead, sadly. We almost walked out of the WM one two years ago it was that lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mute1080 said:

Went to Lipkin Theater NCC Saturday with the wife after a dinner date at 21 Crafthouse. Had to get the Spanakopita Turkey Meatballs when I saw it on the menu in honor of @MrsSnowBunSki and her spanakopita. I thought the movie was good and got the stoke level rising. Made me wish I skied Snow King when I was out there. I walked there one morning before my flight out but they wanted like $60 and I only had a hour so I passed. It was good to see @enjoralas and pops and kind of funny they sat right next to us without seeing us.

10F2E3CE-173A-4ADD-9DCB-3476EF1887FC.jpeg

great the one year we don't go its a PASR party...lol

2 minutes ago, Justo8484 said:

I went to the warren Miller premier in philly 2 years ago pretty much for the vouchers. The movies are generally terrible, and the vibe usually about the same. I think the glory days of rowdy movie premier parties in the mid Atlantic are pretty much dead, sadly. We almost walked out of the WM one two years ago it was that lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's usually a good time, grab some beers and watch some skiing, see some faces you haven't seen in awhile. The swag ain't what is used to be though. A few years ago the movie was like a two hour commercial and really bad, probably that's the one.

The best  ski movies were when the meatheads toured and came to the ice house, that was a hoot and lot's of  swag.

Another cool one was when Glen Plake did a showing of the Edge of Never at Bear Creek, with intro and Q&A after. Such a cool dude we got to hang out with him and Kim for awhile after

IMG_0945.jpg.939a3f571437a509f6c3b4e8063a9050.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 8:01 AM, momskeeztoo said:

We went  yesterday to NCCC for the show. I enjoyed it. And a product toss would have been fun, but the theater there is probably not the place for it! Had dinner afterwards at Copperhead Grill in Allentown. I’d never been there. Good beer list, but the food was just ok. Too much likeTGI Friday/ Applebee’s. 

copperhead steak chimichurri salad is the the bomb, fish tacos are good too

1 hour ago, mbike-ski said:

great the one year we don't go its a PASR party...lol

It's usually a good time, grab some beers and watch some skiing, see some faces you haven't seen in awhile. The swag ain't what is used to be though. A few years ago the movie was like a two hour commercial and really bad, probably that's the one.

The best  ski movies were when the meatheads toured and came to the ice house, that was a hoot and lot's of  swag.

Another cool one was when Glen Plake did a showing of the Edge of Never at Bear Creek, with intro and Q&A after. Such a cool dude we got to hang out with him and Kim for awhile after

IMG_0945.jpg.939a3f571437a509f6c3b4e8063a9050.jpg

The ice house movie night was a drunk fest. Good times!

• Like 1