12/12 JF

saltyant

Jack Frost was pretty rad. 4 blue trails open and mostly in grate shape, except for DeMattes Demise or whatever which had some cookies of death.  Still way way better than that atrocious crapola Midway I've become accustomed to during early season. Plus I slept until 7:50 and still made it on time. Skied 1.5 hours, now drinking blistering hot coffee and consuming french Toast at the White Haven diner. #JADIP #WTGAI #DayOfKindness

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've been really happy with my Epic Pass so far. They've opened an impressive amount of trails for the weather we've had, especially compared to other places like Camelback and Montage. There was even a dude scanning passes who said it was for metric data to determine which lifts and trails are being used the most. I'm just hoping for some steeper terrain soon since everything open is pretty flat except for one section of Jane's Addiction.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I've been really happy with my Epic Pass so far. They've opened an impressive amount of trails for the weather we've had, especially compared to other places like Camelback and Montage. There was even a dude scanning passes who said it was for metric data to determine which lifts and trails are being used the most. I'm just hoping for some steeper terrain soon since everything open is pretty flat except for one section of Jane's Addiction.

That is fantastic...have you been in the lodge yet to hangout with the cougars?

• Boner City 1

1 hour ago, toast21602 said:

I've never been there. Just seems like a long drive when the same amount of time I can get out west. 

Starting from Allentown, it takes 5 hours and 42 minutes to drive to Whiteface. To be realistic, though, let's add 30 minutes for gasoline, coffee, Roy Rogers spicy chicken sandwich, and to make toilet. That means you can get to Whiteface in 6 hours and 12 minutes. If you begin your journey at 6:00 am, you can be on the snow in the Dacks by 12:30 pm.

Now let's compare this to flying out west. Starting from Allentown, it takes 1 hour and 11 minutes to drive to Philadelphia Int'l Airport (the closest airport to get a direct flight). Then add 5 minutes driving around the economy parking lot looking for the perfect spot. Now add 15 minutes of riding the shuttle. Then let's assume 45 minutes to check in to the flight, check a ski bag, and to get probed up the anoos by security. Now figure 15 minutes walking through the airport to find your gate (add an extra 15 minutes for SLC). Then a 1 hour wait for your delayed flight. Now 30 minutes waiting for the flight to board. Once everyone's on board the plane has to sit there for at least 20 minutes. Now add 20 more minutes taxiing around Philadelphia. Oops, 5 planes ahead for take off so add 20 more minutes. Figure 4 hours and 4 minutes for en route (slowed due to prevailing westerlies). Now 15 minutes taxiing around Denver Airport, and whadyaknow a plane's at our gate so add 10 minutes. Now add 20 minutes waiting to get off the plane. Next a 15 minute trek through the airport, and 15 minute wait for ski bag (add 30 minutes for SLC). Now you have to go pick up your rental car, so that's a 10 minute walk to the Alamo shuttle, 5 minute wait for said shuttle, and then a 20 minute wait to pick up your car. Now you have to inspect the car and sign paperwork, and I'm pretty meticulous so that takes 15 minutes. Finally time to go and drive to play ski so that's around 2 hours minimum to any resort.

Finally we arrive and can play ski, and it took 12 hours and 50 minutes, (4:50 pm MST) or 6 hours and 38 minutes longer than driving to Whiteface. During that time I could have made 14 runs at Whiteface (48,020 feet of vertical) and still have 3 hours and 8 minutes left over for hotelhouse SUJOPO.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Starting from Allentown, it takes 5 hours and 42 minutes to drive to Whiteface. To be realistic, though, let's add 30 minutes for gasoline, coffee, Roy Rogers spicy chicken sandwich, and to make toilet. That means you can get to Whiteface in 6 hours and 12 minutes. If you begin your journey at 6:00 am, you can be on the snow in the Dacks by 12:30 pm.

Now let's compare this to flying out west. Starting from Allentown, it takes 1 hour and 11 minutes to drive to Philadelphia Int'l Airport (the closest airport to get a direct flight). Then add 5 minutes driving around the economy parking lot looking for the perfect spot. Now add 15 minutes of riding the shuttle. Then let's assume 45 minutes to check in to the flight, check a ski bag, and to get probed up the anoos by security. Now figure 15 minutes walking through the airport to find your gate (add an extra 15 minutes for SLC). Then a 1 hour wait for your delayed flight. Now 30 minutes waiting for the flight to board. Once everyone's on board the plane has to sit there for at least 20 minutes. Now add 20 more minutes taxiing around Philadelphia. Oops, 5 planes ahead for take off so add 20 more minutes. Figure 4 hours and 4 minutes for en route (slowed due to prevailing westerlies). Now 15 minutes taxiing around Denver Airport, and whadyaknow a plane's at our gate so add 10 minutes. Now add 20 minutes waiting to get off the plane. Next a 15 minute trek through the airport, and 30 minute wait for ski bag (add 30 minutes for SLC). Now you have to go pick up your rental car, so that's a 10 minute walk to the Alamo shuttle, 5 minute wait for said shuttle, and then a 20 minute wait to pick up your car. Now you have to inspect the car and sign paperwork, and I'm pretty meticulous so that takes 15 minutes. Finally time to go and drive to play ski so that's around 2 hours minimum to any resort.

Finally we arrive and can play ski, and it took 12 hours and 50 minutes, or 6 hours and 38 minutes longer than driving to Whiteface. During that time I could have made 14 runs at Whiteface (48,020 feet of vertical) and still have 3 hours and 8 minutes left over for hotelhouse SUJOPO.

I'm talking about the flight, but thanks for wasting your time when you could have just SUJOPO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ok salty said most of it. And despite his stupid sujopo crap he's spot on. Travel time is travel time. That's how I look at it at least. I've left the white face lot wearing ski pants and been home in time for dinner... Iate dinner but I was there for dinner nonetheless. I've done this math numerous times at least as it pertains to me and where I live. But the only comparable flight out west would be a direct to salt lake from philadelphia. For me however I'm still doing the hour and 45 minutes to the airport then an hour and a half to two hours at the airport killing time then 5 hours in the air then the 45 minute ride to the resort. Other than that to get anywhere out west I'm looking at 13 hours minimum. And honestly that shit gets exhausting sometimes I'd rather do the five and a half drive. You're missing out if you don't try white face. 5 and a 1/2 hours to 3200 vertical feet is tough to beat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

Ok salty said most of it. And despite his stupid sujopo crap he's spot on. Travel time is travel time. That's how I look at it at least. I've left the white face lot wearing ski pants and been home in time for dinner... Iate dinner but I was there for dinner nonetheless. I've done this math numerous times at least as it pertains to me and where I live. But the only comparable flight out west would be a direct to salt lake from philadelphia. For me however I'm still doing the hour and 45 minutes to the airport then an hour and a half to two hours at the airport killing time then 5 hours in the air then the 45 minute ride to the resort. Other than that to get anywhere out west I'm looking at 13 hours minimum. And honestly that shit gets exhausting sometimes I'd rather do the five and a half drive. You're missing out if you don't try white face. 5 and a 1/2 hours to 3200 vertical feet is tough to beat

lololol don't fall for my Salty troll. You're better than that.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1