Future Plans for Blue?

toast21602

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I never realized how huge hockey is in PA until I joined PASR.  At least five hockey players on this page.  Nick Malozzi, MBike, TP4, Kyle and Antman. I just did roller hockey as a kid.  Never had the option to play ice hockey. I played intramural broom ball in college. 

One of my good friends from HS was on the hockey team back then and still plays. Hockey is huge in NE Philly.  It's all we did growing up after school.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Initial they were planning for quarter shares for their hotel/condos.  Both me and my dad requested info about pricing and are still waiting.  Sheesh by the time it’s built I might be able to afford it.  

I requested pricing too, but still waiting…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Ice skating/outdoor hockey rink is probably the most feasible thing they could do in a short period of time and would likely get a good amount of use out of it. Zamboni can be had for $10k or so. 

The only thing is that it would take up valuable real estate, it would need to be staffed, and they’d need rentals.  

5 minutes ago, Schif said:

How much does it cost to run the cooling system for an outdoor skating rink? We know it could never be naturally frozen all year here. 

If I had to guess based off of my knowledge of what it costs to keep ice at an indoor rink, I’d say around $5k-10k a month weather dependent. The average indoor rink costs around $40k a month to keep the ice, but that factors in dehumidifiers, constant cooling, etc etc. obviously the colder it is, the less the system would run/need to run. The cost of water would factor into that a lot as well since it needs to go through a softening system and zambonis use around 150 gallons to resurface a regulation size rink. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

A frozen lazy river to skate on would be cooler.  Would be like the canals people skate on in Ottawa Canada during the winter. 

F0F76A41-10C6-44EB-B997-42D264393E59.jpeg

I say we cover lazy mile in ice and turn it into an ice skating derby similar to red bull’s crashed ice events 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Just saying..I think ice skating at Blue would be a nice loss leader.  They might not make money off the ice skating but people would hangout longer and spend more on food/beverage and retail. 

10 hours ago, toast21602 said:

They aren’t going to put in an ice skating rink. No market for it in Palmerton. 

I might disagree with the ice skating rink being a loser or not having a market for it.  They recently put this outdoor rink in near me.  

http://www.flightonice.com/locations/newtown-square/

They are killing it.  i drive by on my way home from work, and went by yesterday.  Super crowded.  They basically built it in a month.  put up a bunch of tents, and i bet they make a fucking killing on hot chocolate.  keep in mind, those kids have to be driven there, and you might as well try to pry out as much money as possible from the parents that are there.  

10 hours ago, toast21602 said:

They aren’t going to put in an ice skating rink. No market for it in Palmerton. 

i'm not really thinking in terms of people coming for ice skating in particular (even tho there are no places remotely close, so it might attract people just for that).

i'm more curious about how it would help in attracting groups where some people dont ski. i'm sure that families have chosen against a ski resort for a fun day out since there weren't options for everyone in the group. and i'm strictly talking about a simple, no-frills, outdoor thing here.

not that they need the money, so it doesn't really matter. but it'd be a better alternative to tubing for those who don't ski but want to come along for the day out.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

I might disagree with the ice skating rink being a loser or not having a market for it.  They recently put this outdoor rink in near me.  

http://www.flightonice.com/locations/newtown-square/

They are killing it.  i drive by on my way home from work, and went by yesterday.  Super crowded.  They basically built it in a month.  put up a bunch of tents, and i bet they make a fucking killing on hot chocolate.  keep in mind, those kids have to be driven there, and you might as well try to pry out as much money as possible from the parents that are there.  

Evidently Spring Mountain down South put one in and opened the other day and it was pretty crowded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indiggio said:

Evidently Spring Mountain down South put one in and opened the other day and it was pretty crowded.

Woah. Would you look at that. They really did put in an ice rink!

image.thumb.jpeg.0a6c3d397dd6c128fade86726c84dce2.jpeg

3 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Probably good for them to do since they may never open again.

Based on their IG they’ll be opening for skiing and snowboarding. Even posted about adding some new snowmaking. 

• Like 1