JF 12/19

saltyant

Hey all, back from a fun session at Jack Frost, the only ski resort open in the Poconos (and Big Boulder). In the house was Atomic Skier, JFDan, and AntMan. Temps were in the high 20s under cloud sky's. There were some gnarly beatbops jamming in my Sonic on the way in. First run was grate down Jane's Lane, though the snow quality has surely deteriorated since last week due to the rainstorm. Other runs were rad like the terrain park. Demattes Demise was kind of meh. It got crowded quickly due to not many other ski resorts being open and we quit around 10:30 and hung out in the parking lot for about 12 minutes. JADIP WTGAI

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I thought Boulder is open too?

Correct, I edited my post and added them too. We actually had that discussion today, I always forget all about that place. 

Also Elk is open but they're not in the Poconos

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1

Followed directly behind some black sonic down the access road at about 855 this morning and was on the snow by 910. 

Slightly windy with a little misting sleet. Not great conditions under an overcast sky. Not exactly a great morning but I’m still happy I got my fix in for the day. Left around 1030 as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

Hey all, back from a fun session at Jack Frost, the only ski resort open in the Poconos (and Big Boulder). In the house was Atomic Skier, JFDan, and AntMan. Temps were in the high 20s under cloud sky's. There were some gnarly beatbops jamming in my Sonic on the way in. First run was grate down Jane's Lane, though the snow quality has surely deteriorated since last week due to the rainstorm. Other runs were rad like the terrain park. Demattes Demise was kind of meh. It got crowded quickly due to not many other ski resorts being open and we quit around 10:30 and hung out in the parking lot for about 12 minutes. JADIP WTGAI

Sounds like an Epic crew!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Grate day with @saltyant and @JFskiDan and seeing @antman12.  Also saw my neighbor who is a long time patroller at JF ... no MALVERN talk but we did enjoy an Epic day of skiing at Jack Frost.  They had a surprising amount of terrain open, and it was surprisingly busy.  It was a little sugary/chunky, but I guess that's better than being closed?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good to get out, since Saturdays weather in the Poconos was total shit.  Conditions were pretty much to be expected after a warm spell, then some moist, then a freeze.  

Didnt get scanned once while we were there.  So, basically, i still dont have any idea if my pass does in fact work.  

It was crowded.  I havent been there for a few years, but i can tell you from the cars in the lot, to the lift lines, that got pretty significant by 10:30, it was crowded like a holiday weekend crowd, from years past.  Granted, not lots of places open this weekend around here.  

So Epic pass day 1 is in the books.  I hope i can get my Epic days in to where the price point is at a level of where @skitoolivelovestoski would be proud of me.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Nice start Dan!

2 days at Hunter in so far for me.

Hoping to over next 2 weeks hit Stowe and either Okemo or Snow on Epic; and Jay, Bolton Valley and maybe West on Indy. 

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Epic pass day 1 is in the books.  I hope i can get my Epic days in to where the price point is at a level of where @skitoolivelovestoski would be proud of me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JFskiDan said:

Good to get out, since Saturdays weather in the Poconos was total shit.  Conditions were pretty much to be expected after a warm spell, then some moist, then a freeze.  

Didnt get scanned once while we were there.  So, basically, i still dont have any idea if my pass does in fact work.  

It was crowded.  I havent been there for a few years, but i can tell you from the cars in the lot, to the lift lines, that got pretty significant by 10:30, it was crowded like a holiday weekend crowd, from years past.  Granted, not lots of places open this weekend around here.  

So Epic pass day 1 is in the books.  I hope i can get my Epic days in to where the price point is at a level of where @skitoolivelovestoski would be proud of me.  

Does JF not have RFID gates? 

6 minutes ago, Schif said:

Does JF not have RFID gates? 

No. Same with BB. They will occasionally scan passes at the lifts or outside in the common area/entrance to the snow. 

I’ve been there 3 times so far and haven’t had my pass scanned once. 

BB scans passes a decent amount at the front of the lift lines once the season gets going. 

Edited by antman12

Heard a couple ski patrollers talking in line about many of the liftees being from round top or liberty yesterday. I was right behind them and they asked the liftee where he was from and he said liberty. 

not sure if it’s a staffing issue or a Covid issue. 

57 minutes ago, antman12 said:

Heard a couple ski patrollers talking in line about many of the liftees being from round top or liberty yesterday. I was right behind them and they asked the liftee where he was from and he said liberty. 

Seems like a long commute unless they are housing them somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antman12 said:

Thats interesting....i did see a liftee wearing a helmet that had a sticker that said "I love Liberty" 

I thought both the liftee wearing a helmet, and the sticker were kinda odd.  He also had on what i would consider a ski instructors jacket.  

• Like 1

Having spent about 2 hrs skiing every trail at Liberty once, on a day with perfect conditions, I assume he was talking about the concept and not the molehill. Maybe an anti-vaxxer.

Slowest lift I've ever ridden to some of the dullest terrain I've ever skied. Fortunately it was only about a 30 minute detour on my way home from Whitetail. But really that was more time and effort that it is worth. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Having spent about 2 hrs skiing every trail at Liberty once, on a day with perfect conditions, I assume he was talking about the concept and not the molehill. Maybe an anti-vaxxer.

Slowest lift I've ever ridden to some of the dullest terrain I've ever skied. Fortunately it was only about a 30 minute detour on my way home from Whitetail. But really that was more time and effort that it is worth. 

tenor-260683389.gif.159d93677e446eb54a0ac85b713db26d.gif

• Haha 1