Hunter 12/24 ... Grate!

saltyant

Some pics from Hunter yesterday. Got there for 9:30 as it's too hard to get up super early but it was a nice 4.5 hour session. Most trails skied nicely in the morning but the steeps turned to nasty pure ice later in the day so I moved to the Blue Squares. Overlook wasn't groomed so that was a bit rowdy skiing in man made perder... Not like skiing out west but still kinda fun, I guess. Never waited for a lift more than about 30 seconds

IMG_20230111_110159449_HDR.thumb.jpg.4bcbbcca57223515066135b88d471def.jpg

IMG_20230111_113740163_HDR.thumb.jpg.a4334b264bbca41e7c9660b0251be7d9.jpg

IMG_20230111_113841917_HDR.thumb.jpg.2b8c1bc8da420bdba5b7527276771557.jpg

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Looks a lot more like winter there than it does here. That doesn't take much, though. Looks like a decent time.

It was pretty nice for the weather conditions everyone's been having. I think of Hunter as better than anything in the Poconos, but not as good as Vermont. It's the only place on the Epic Pass really worth day tripping to besides JFBB.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Grilled Sandwich would you ever make a day trip to Hunter?? I was reading your stats from the early 2000's the other day and I saw you went to Hunter and even Big Boulder.

Yeah I’m actually thinking about taking a spring skifari to Vermont and maybe hit somewhere in the Catskills on the way back.  I used to mainly hit Catskills places early and late season when Blue wasn’t open yet.  When I was in 8th grade my dad and I were originally going to go to Hunter but ended up going to Windham because it was supposed to be less silly.  I skied two days at Windham that season.  I also skied the rope tow hill at rocking horse ranch when I was in 7th grade while my family was riding horses.  It was radical and the bindings were the old school safety strap ones and I needed assistance.  Not the modern step in bindings like at blue.  Back then Blue had Elan and Rossi skis.  I still remember the rooster logo..that’s good marketing.  

• Boner City 1

7 hours ago, saltyant said:

It was pretty nice for the weather conditions everyone's been having. I think of Hunter as better than anything in the Poconos, but not as good as Vermont. It's the only place on the Epic Pass really worth day tripping to besides JFBB.

I prefer Roundtop to JF. It has more vertical, steeper runs (Upper Gunbarrel has steepest headwall in PA) and smaller lines, and doesn't close at 4. Also a nice locals vibe. For me the extra 10 minutes of drive is worth it - especially times like now when JF has no glades or East Mt open.  

No interest in BB except maybe as a place to keep skiing when JF shuts.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

I prefer Roundtop to JF. It has more vertical, steeper runs (Upper Gunbarrel has steepest headwall in PA) and smaller lines, and doesn't close at 4. Also a nice locals vibe. For me the extra 10 minutes of drive is worth it - especially times like now when JF has no glades or East Mt open.  

No interest in BB except maybe as a place to keep skiing when JF shuts.

I guess this is a bad time to ask how Floyd’s is. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Had good fun yesterday doing 17 runs with the twins on soft but full coverage conditions on Minya Hellgate Belt and Overlook.

Best conditions were Overlook (surprisingly) and it was nice that it was served by an express lift as Flyer went down for day at 10ambig turns. Widening out to 7th Ave was fun for big turns. 

Lovin that my teens are speeding down blacks at Hunter all day long skiing as hard as I am. A great reward for all invested over 10 years getting them to this level as we start their 1qth skison.

• Like 5
  • Boner City 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Had good fun yesterday doing 17 runs with the twins on soft but full coverage conditions on Minya Hellgate Belt and Overlook.

Best conditions were Overlook (surprisingly) and it was nice that it was served by an express lift as Flyer went down for day at 10ambig turns. Widening out to 7th Ave was fun for big turns. 

Lovin that my teens are speeding down blacks at Hunter all day long skiing as hard as I am. A great reward for all invested over 10 years getting them to this level as we start their 1qth skison.

Awesome…I give you shit sometimes but can’t not like this post. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Awesome…I give you shit sometimes but can’t not like this post. 

Thanks for making this a day of kindness! Maybe next year in 2024 me, you and Ski2Live can split a hot cocoa three ways and share bunk beds on a Colorado trip while getting high off that alpine Rocky Mountain John Denver air.

• Like 1
  • Boner City 1

41 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for making this a day of kindness! Maybe next year in 2024 me, you and Ski2Live can split a hot cocoa three ways and share bunk beds on a Colorado trip while getting high off that alpine Rocky Mountain John Denver air.

Triple decker bunk bed sounds nice.  I want the middle bunk 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@Barb looks a little like

crested butte. 

My bruh's and I are going to Hunter again this year. If @Ski2Live Live2Ski wants to carpool I won't even charge him gas money, though he might have to get middle seat in the back for being the "new guy" in my bruh group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Spent a couple days at Hunter this weekend. Had the unfortunate experience of skiing a brand new trail there "Empire Trail". Unfortunate because as of last year "Empire Glade" was one of 4 marked glades at Hunter, and often the one open the most, and they decided to saw down its trees to make a short inconsequential blue trail. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hunter was real nice yesterday.  Pretty much got the whole mountain open now other than lower K27, Westward, Anna Purna and the glades. And lines were very mild for Presidents Day. I got in 25 runs. 

Sorry no pix - you all know what the place looks like 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Hunter was real nice yesterday.  Pretty much got the whole mountain open now other than lower K27, Westward, Anna Purna and the glades. And lines were very mild for Presidents Day. I got in 25 runs. 

That's grate, I flew over you at 11:24 am. I hope you toasted me with a cup of hot cocoa as I soared above the Catskills.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Stats show you skied Brokeback mountain on February 69th

• Confused 1