1:10...chilly Monday..

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun morning session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot at 824am and it was in the lower 20s under mostly cloudy sky’s. In the house were Atomic Jeff, enjorales cousin, Charles, Atomic Jeff, Bethlehem Ford guy and Rodney. 

The quad was running and it was a cold ride with snowguns blasting all over the east side.  First run on Free fall was nice and a patroller trying to get us to pump the breaks as we hit Paradise.  Next run on Main Street has the best snow on the mountain..almost packed powder.  Lazy mile was good snow and the falls is sort of narrow but decent for the first day it’s open.  Paradise also nice snow but a wet gun at the beginning which had me sprayed and coated with ice ice baby.  

Seconds and thirds were had on Main Street and Free fall..and I ended up with 8 runs total by 1025.  The quad didn’t stop much and the crowd was moderate for a Monday..most chairs were filled but no liftline...now back at work like a dork...JADIP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the long trek from the quad over to Main Street kept a lot of people off of it. The top of Main St., above Midway, was in Primo condition. I was kind of amazed at how many guns they had going at once all over the mountain. Getting the impression Jack Frost is going to need a big natural snow dump to get things opened.

One comment about how the ticket gates are set up on the quad. Once things started getting a little backed up, rather than coming in perpendicular to the gates people came in from the side, and blocked the season pass gate.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

I think the long trek from the quad over to Main Street kept a lot of people off of it. The top of Main St., above Midway, was in Primo condition. I was kind of amazed at how many guns they had going at once all over the mountain. Getting the impression Jack Frost is going to need a big natural snow dump to get things opened.

One comment about how the ticket gates are set up on the quad. Once things started getting a little backed up, rather than coming in perpendicular to the gates people came in from the side, and blocked the season pass gate.

As the season progresses I see liftlines getting long for the quad on weekdays if they don’t run the six pack.  Although you can’t access free fall from the six pack, it’s still the ideal lift for max capacity and fast laps.  The quad is 27 years old and I’m not optimistic about it being such a workhorse this season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

As the season progresses I see liftlines getting long for the quad on weekdays if they don’t run the six pack.  Although you can’t access free fall from the six pack, it’s still the ideal lift for max capacity and fast laps.  The quad is 27 years old and I’m not optimistic about it being such a workhorse this season. 

I think you are spot on with this. The quad has always had issues and putting more pressure on it is going to create issues. Saturday when they were both running was ideal, but definitely won't be the midweek norm.

1 hour ago, C1erArt said:

I heard Floyd’s isn’t even open yet at Jack Frost

• Sad 1

On Saturday Benn/Skiincy/Schif and I were about to sit down on the quad when it stopped...They tried to start it three times....each time ending with a thud...Pretty sure we started the rush to the sixer that morning...Also got stuck in front of a snow gun first ride up...I don't think the quad  can handle being a daily driver....

29 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Coming soon has an experts sign right so run the sizer and make it skate to terrain Monday through Thursday mornings.  

The quad won't run as the main valley chair all season 

Or repurpose one of those old paddle tows that they have laying behind the groomer shack up top. Unless they sold them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

Coming soon has an experts sign right so run the sizer and make it skate to terrain Monday through Thursday mornings.  

Agreed. I have no problem skating from the six pack to Coming Soon. It will keep lots of people off it, too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

I totally agree with this, and i think everybody here understands the reason behind this logic.  I'm not a fan of the quad being the main chair.  I would prefer just to ride that lift when i want to ski Zinc or Swim.  The only good thing about them running the quad is that it seems like people tend to forget about the trails down towards main, and just stay right by the quad.  

But, they will get crushed on social media if they dont have access to their new trail mon-thurs.  And of course, they cant really publicly come out and say why they are doing it.  

They can pretty much put on a snowmaking show that rivals most on the East Coast, but they cant make the lifts run right. 

The parking lot is fine, the Valley lodge is what it is, money needs to be spent on the lifts.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mixilplix said:

On Saturday Benn/Skiincy/Schif and I were about to sit down on the quad when it stopped...They tried to start it three times....each time ending with a thud...Pretty sure we started the rush to the sixer that morning...Also got stuck in front of a snow gun first ride up...I don't think the quad  can handle being a daily driver....

I was about 40% of the way up the hill for that stoppage, thankfully not in front of a snow gun. The start/stops (there were actually 4, three quick ones then a fourth a few minutes later) actually had me a bit worried it could be a REALLY long wait.