JF 1/15

saltyant

Epic might be the way to go next year. If all the bad publicity this year pushes people onto Ikon the crowds will just shift and maybe Vail resorts will be a little more mild. 

They can’t open more lifts because they still don’t have two of their main wide top to bottom slopes open, Exhibition (blue) and Thunderbolt (black). They only have one slope open for the blue and black lifts. Until the past couple of years, I’ve had a season pass there for 20 years, and they were always open by New Years. East Mountain might open mid to late January.

I don’t think Vail wants to spend the money for electricity to blow snow, or staff up to fully open. Sad.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, C1erArt said:

They can’t open more lifts because they still don’t have two of their main wide top to bottom slopes open, Exhibition (blue) and Thunderbolt (black). They only have one slope open for the blue and black lifts. Until the past couple of years, I’ve had a season pass there for 20 years, and they were always open by New Years. East Mountain might open mid to late January.

I don’t think Vail wants to spend the money for electricity to blow snow, or staff up to fully open. Sad.

you and i both know JF should have been 100% open a week or 2 ago.  The place just simply isnt that big.  They made a shit ton of snow to open, but have been on holiday ever since.  

• Like 2

Quick late afternoon session at Frost Wednesday with the DW. Did a run on DeMattes, and lapped Challenge on the east mountain lift. Pretty quiet.

Rivershot a little ripped up on one side, but Challenge was in great shape even at closing. Looks like Thunderbolt and Exhibition might open soon, but didn’t get a look at the lower section. Free slope side parking still in effect on weekdays. Everything looked pretty with a couple inches of snow in the woods. Challenge glade had some trails thru the flatter sections.

Noticed the JF races are being held at Boulder this year, assume weekend practice is being done there also.

• Like 3

Will hit JF Sat if they get 100% open (which seems unlikely).

Otherwise will hit Roundtop which is, and will be a bit warmer. Gonna be too cold up at Hunter at open. And if you aren't at these places at open on a weekend this year, with all the extra Epic passes sold, it is not worth the trip. 

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

13 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Will hit JF Sat if they get 100% open (which seems unlikely).

Otherwise will hit Roundtop which is, and will be a bit warmer. Gonna be too cold up at Hunter at open. And if you aren't at these places at open on a weekend this year, with all the extra Epic passes sold, it is not worth the trip. 

How far is your drive to Roundtop?

17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

How far is your drive to Roundtop?

2:10 which is about 20 min more than JF and 30 min less than Hunter (but return trip from Hunter takes another 30 min at least as traffic on that route is worse in mid afternoon than pre-dawn).

I generally only consider Roundtop when they have Upper Gunbarrel and Upper Ramrod open, and Frost is not fully open.

RT also has the plus of opening at 8 on Sat (JF is 9) so there is more time before it gets crowded. 

So far this year I have only used Epic at Hunter 3x.

12 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

2:10 which is about 20 min more than JF and 30 min less than Hunter (but return trip from Hunter takes another 30 min at least as traffic on that route is worse in mid afternoon than pre-dawn).

I generally only consider Roundtop when they have Upper Gunbarrel and Upper Ramrod open, and Frost is not fully open.

RT also has the plus of opening at 8 on Sat (JF is 9) so there is more time before it gets crowded. 

So far this year I have only used Epic at Hunter 3x.

A 9am weekend opening at Frost is late.  I remember it being at 800am before.  Blue used to open at 730am on weekends.  

23 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

A 9am weekend opening at Frost is late.  I remember it being at 800am before.  Blue used to open at 730am on weekends.  

Probably due to staffing shortages. 9am open to 4pm close every day lets them have no more than 1 shift at every position even with a little set up and clean up time. Roundtop has night skiing so they have to run 2 shifts and can open earlier.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Probably due to staffing shortages. 9am open to 4pm close every day lets them have no more than 1 shift at every position even with a little set up and clean up time. Roundtop has night skiing so they have to run 2 shifts and can open earlier.

I hear you with labor costs hours are being shortened at a lot of businesses.  

4 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Maybe AtomicSkier and JFDan will come and we can all sit together on the Minuteman Lift and sing folk songs just like the Mosquitos in Gilligans Island. I get to be Bingo and you guys can decide who will be Bango, Bongo and Irving.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Well getting all but a few trails open isn't Blue Knob league of giving up.

You’re comparing Walmart to grandmas corner store here. Blue knob does not have the snowmaking, manpower, or large company ownership that JFBB has. JFBB has absolutely no reason to not be 100% open right now but it’s ridiculous to criticize blue knob and then turn around and give JFBB a pass on essentially the same issue, stuff not being open. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

You’re comparing Walmart to grandmas corner store here. Blue knob does not have the snowmaking, manpower, or large company ownership that JFBB has. JFBB has absolutely no reason to not be 100% open right now but it’s ridiculous to criticize blue knob and then turn around and give JFBB a pass on essentially the same issue, stuff not being open. 

Blue and camelback are not 100%

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

JF is 90% open - really only missing Floyds and coverage in glades isn't great. BK 10% open and only easiest stuff.

Actually pretty impressed RT is 100% open. That is pretty rare. Upper Gunbarrel is historically tough to open as so steep and some seasons has never opened. And they are in a pretty warm zone compared to JFBB. 

16 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

JF is 90% open - really only missing Floyds and coverage in glades isn't great. BK 10% open and only easiest stuff.

Actually pretty impressed RT is 100% open. That is pretty rare. Upper Gunbarrel is historically tough to open as so steep and some seasons has never opened. And they are in a pretty warm zone compared to JFBB. 

BelovedBitesizedGiraffe-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1