All things Crested Butte

Barb

15 hours ago, Barb said:

Maybe Dan is bad luck?  First run of the day, caught an edge, went down, felt my knee pop. I refused to have another sled ride so carefully made it down to the on mountain ER. When I unclicked my ski felt a sharp pain that almost knocked me over. Doc says he believes I dislocated knee cap and the pain was it snapping back in. Banged it up pretty good and bruised the cartilage   Underneath. Hopefully in a few days I will be feeling better but no skiing the rest of Dan’s time here. 

luckily my friend is here keeping him company.  Womp womp 

Hope you heal up quick!  

• Thanks 1

Good news is Barbs knee is feeling better, but unfortunately not able to make it out today.  Went out with Barbs friend Ilise, and despite the fact she snowboards, she pretty much kicks butt.  So yesterday the East River lift was closed, and with a little bit of snow that fell the night before, we heading right there, since that was going to have the best snow.  When we got down there, the lift was stopped.  we were there long enough to click out, as the lift was doing a start/stop kinda thing for a while before it did get going at slow speed.  good news, cause theres no way out of there without hiking up a ways to the Paradise lift.  It stopped once or twice on the ride up, after we passed a guy up on one of the towers, so we bailed on staying in that area for fear of getting stuck down there.  Skied a little bit of trees, but at this point my legs arent going to put up with much more of that.  Stuck to some groomers after that.  got pretty crowded, it is after all, a weekend.  Stopped at Uley's Cabin, as they were celebrating Uleys birthday, who is supposed to be 107 years old.  Had a bowl of Elk Chili and a beer, which got us some tickets for the raffle of a snowboard.  I didnt win, and i wasnt too disappointed, i mean, who needs one of those things anyways?  Nice pit stop with some good views.  

cb263.thumb.jpg.973968767c0f9c74aff116366e75c95a.jpg

The Spice Girls showed up.  There were four of them in total.  

cb264.thumb.jpg.487bccdee00aacb02eab933237502817.jpg

Random tree pics.  

cb261.thumb.jpg.962b2d58a2dd8c35097b8a840aca03cf.jpg

cb262.thumb.jpg.e2b0d6d2047db2a1ae18c27eefd3c1d7.jpg

• Like 9

Day 6, solo skiing with groomers in mind since my legs just arent as fresh as they could be.  Small crowd to start, which i thought would be the theme of the day.  2 laps on International with some nice fresh cord.  A lap on Paradise, then i made the decision to see if East River was cooperating, which it was.  I talked with some type of employee on one lift ride that said a groomer hit one of the East River towers Thursday night which caused it to be closed Friday, i saw a groomer toting a welder down to it at one point, and then it was just a little pissed off on Saturday, i think they were able to run it, but not full speed.  East River is a nice area, and has some great trees, so of course i couldnt resist.  Made the best of the trees, even though it probably wasnt too pretty, but we just dont get to ski decent stuff off trail at Blue enough, so its hard to pass up.  Went to eat when the lift lines started getting a little longer then normal at noon, odd thing was, the restaurant was empty.  Ran some groomers from the base after lunch, alternating between silver queen and red lady, depending on the line situation.  

The Teocali lift was down for maintenance the past two days.  no big deal, as that lift really doesnt go anywhere i was concerned with, but on the lift ride with the CB employee, who i think was an instructor, eluded to the fact that "maintenance" was code word for "lack of employees".  

Im not super happy with Vail, i just dont like their business model, and what they are doing to skiing in general.  i feel like Vail just wants to show the skiing public who is boss.  

I like to think Vail has fucked up Crested Butte the least of all its resorts.  We will see.  I never saw "epic" lines when i was here, but Barb says things have picked up over the past 2 years here.  

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

So my knee wasn’t feeling great and I went to an orthopedic guy here. I have a hairline fracture of my tibial plateau and a rather large bone bruise but all ligaments are intact (thankfully). Doc said TP fractures can be very nasty so I was lucky mine was minor.  Was cleared to ride a Stationary bike so you bet my ass will be on one tomorrow. My fitness watch is already telling me I am a crusty old lady and I better step it up. 

Had to cancel a hut trip I had scheduled for this weekend but they were nice enough to extend a credit for next season. Will be down 6-8 weeks and start PT next week. Could have been worse, I can deal with 6-8 weeks. There might be some snow left in May for me to play on if all goes well. 

• Sad 5

• 2 weeks later...

'Crested Butte declared a Housing Disaster Emergency in June, stating that “the current lack of available, affordable workforce housing is threatening the livelihood and character of the town, its citizens, and its businesses.”'

https://www.skimag.com/news/did-the-pandemic-finally-end-the-modern-day-ski-bum/

Edited by indiggio

2 hours ago, indiggio said:

'Crested Butte declared a Housing Disaster Emergency in June, stating that “the current lack of available, affordable workforce housing is threatening the livelihood and character of the town, its citizens, and its businesses.”'

https://www.skimag.com/news/did-the-pandemic-finally-end-the-modern-day-ski-bum/

I have seen this article.  It is not just Crested Butte experiencing this problem. There is no easy solution. So far they have voted to impose an extra $2500 per year affordable housing fee on people like me who don’t long term rent their homes to locals. I believe it goes into effect this year. They originally wanted $10,000 so I guess it could be worse. 

But as I have said to friends on this topic many times; I would never long term rent my place because then I couldn’t use it. So it would sit dark when I am not there. The renters go out to dinner, spend money at the mountain, on t-shirts etc. In  addition they pay a STR tax, I pay a STR license fee. So there is money going to the town.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Barb said:

I have seen this article.  It is not just Crested Butte experiencing this problem. There is no easy solution. So far they have voted to impose an extra $2500 per year affordable housing fee on people like me who don’t long term rent their homes to locals. I believe it goes into effect this year. They originally wanted $10,000 so I guess it could be worse. 

But as I have said to friends on this topic many times; I would never long term rent my place because then I couldn’t use it. So it would sit dark when I am not there. The renters go out to dinner, spend money at the mountain, on t-shirts etc. In  addition they pay a STR tax, I pay a STR license fee. So there is money going to the town.  

You got off cheap..$2500 isn’t that bad..I bet your home has doubled in value or more since you built it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Great first day back at Cb!  Hasn’t snowed in a few days here so the groomers were fun and fast. I thought the bumps would be rough since they looked icy but they were fun too. 
FB9C4C01-6B94-4283-9CC2-C2866E25BBC5.thumb.jpeg.a023738095dbb805fd29180c9a337eb6.jpeg

started on the Silver Queen down to Paradise Bowl. Did 3 runs there then headed over to East River. There is a run called Black Eagle one half is groomed the other half bumped. We lapped that a bunch dipping in and out of the bumps 

A13C0AC0-9E64-4054-BA31-D1C12EAFE3A8.thumb.jpeg.6d9d8d3849108d3bfad044ae6bb1ebad.jpeg

Sarah

FCC2D0A6-419D-4FF0-81E8-37C3DC1B29E7.thumb.jpeg.7ede2774833544bf2219eda429c806ab.jpeg
me trying to pick a line 

9F5C0587-CCC7-49F7-84AE-F1EE758E3423.thumb.jpeg.f5289787b230c9bdaed464a43af6367f.jpeg

Had a snack at the Umbrella Bar and did some east laps off that side.  I ended my day after 12 runs, Sarah stayed longer.

Had a weird conversation w a guy on the shuttle home:

Guy: I always wondered if the band makes those skis (talking about my Black Crows)  

me: just gave him a funny look

guy: so do you like their music?

me: they’re ok

after a 5 minute silence

guy: (don’t even realize he is talking to me at first) So I did one long top to bottom run today.  I am going to get my car and head over to Monarch so I can ski two places in one day.  Probably just do one run there and come home.  

me: just gave him a funny look and said ok

Edited by Barb
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Barb said:

Great first day back at Cb!  Hasn’t snowed in a few days here so the groomers were fun and fast. I thought the bumps would be rough since they looked icy but they were fun too. 
FB9C4C01-6B94-4283-9CC2-C2866E25BBC5.thumb.jpeg.a023738095dbb805fd29180c9a337eb6.jpeg

started on the Silver Queen down to Paradise Bowl. Did 3 runs there then headed over to East River. There is a run called Black Eagle one half is groomed the other half bumped. We lapped that a bunch dipping in and out of the bumps 

A13C0AC0-9E64-4054-BA31-D1C12EAFE3A8.thumb.jpeg.6d9d8d3849108d3bfad044ae6bb1ebad.jpeg

Sarah

FCC2D0A6-419D-4FF0-81E8-37C3DC1B29E7.thumb.jpeg.7ede2774833544bf2219eda429c806ab.jpeg
me trying to pick a line 

9F5C0587-CCC7-49F7-84AE-F1EE758E3423.thumb.jpeg.f5289787b230c9bdaed464a43af6367f.jpeg

Had a snack at the Umbrella Bar and did some east laps off that side.  I ended my day after 12 runs, Sarah stayed longer.

Had a weird conversation w a guy on the shuttle home:

Guy: I always wondered if the band makes those skis (talking about my Black Crows)  

me: just gave him a funny look

guy: so do you like their music?

me: they’re ok

after a 5 minute silence

guy: (don’t even realize he is talking to me at first) So I did one long top to bottom run today.  I am going to get my car and head over to Monarch so I can ski two places in one day.  Probably just do one run there and come home.  

me: just gave him a funny look and said ok

People who just randomly talk to strangers on ski town buses are weird..just STFU and let people enjoy their zen. 

• Haha 1