Shawnee 1/21/22 - Skin it to win it.

toast21602

52 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Thanks for the report.  It’s hard to tell where the peak is in the first picture.  

You can't see it from the base because jawnee flattens out in the middle. Need to pull back a few hundred feet to see the mountain t2b. It doesn't show well up close unfortunately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Justo8484 said:

BCA Magic Carpets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a pair of those last me like 10 years, I just kept putting new glue over the pine needles but they would never stop. I left them in a tree on the root canal slides in the daks but I bet they are still out there they are the Tacoma of skins. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:58 PM, toast21602 said:

Let’s chat. 

91B458E2-559A-4DA1-88A4-55DF98C6D1D3.jpeg

As an FYI the brewery did not have food other than some snacks but the restaurant/pub right out front/next door is pretty decent and had all Shawnees beers. this was probably  two years ago though now so not sure if its still the case

We are between Shawnee and Montage for Sat. My biggest concern is potential wind holds with up to 40mph gusts forecast. I'm guessing this might be more of an issue at Shawnee - with a detachable lift and a west facing mountain. And Montage's North Face feels a little more sheltered and in a valley.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

We are between Shawnee and Montage for Sat. My biggest concern is potential wind holds with up to 40mph gusts forecast. I'm guessing this might be more of an issue at Shawnee - with a detachable lift and a west facing mountain. And Montage's North Face feels a little more sheltered and in a valley.

Shawnee has plenty of fixed grip top to bottom lifts, but you are probably correct about Montage being more protected. Seems like you have you answer..

• Like 1

Shawnee's lifts are for the most part low-angle and sheltered well below the tree line, and the whole mountain is situated in a hollow with a northwest aspect out of which it doesn't really rise much higher than the previous ridge to the west.

Thanks for the heads up, I may have to pull and audible and hit Montage too if the detach isn't running.  I think they have the capacity to handle any crowds that may show up even without the Tomahawk but their other lifts the run SLOW to suit their clientele.

Edited by abe
  • Like 1

At this point aiming for Shawnee tomorrow as only 2/3 as far (90 min on clear roads) and they seem likely to get a few fresh inches with Montage getting negligible snow. Plan to ski at all contingent on what roads are like tomorrow AM as gonna be snowier in NJ than PA. Will wake early tomorrow and assess situation. Shawnee worth a 90 min drive but not 150 min drive on snowy hazardous roads. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

At this point aiming for Shawnee tomorrow as only 2/3 as far (90 min on clear roads) and they seem likely to get a few fresh inches with Montage getting negligible snow. Plan to ski at all contingent on what roads are like tomorrow AM as gonna be snowier in NJ than PA. Will wake early tomorrow and assess situation. Shawnee worth a 90 min drive but not 150 min drive on snowy hazardous roads. 

How much snow is expected in Lawrenceville?

StormTotalSnow.jpg

Between going to Shawnee or Montage sometime this weekend, may as well go to Jawnee tomorrow morning to try and get some fresh snow.  I'll probably bring my xc skis and see if anything around Stroudsburg is skiiable.  Should've been in Delaware for this one.  We barely had snow cover in Lancaster in the morning and the fog ate it by the afternoon despite it continuing to snow, not enough to ski.  Hoping tomorrow we get a bit of coverage.

I'm guessing it might be too crowded on a weekend to try out my tele skins on Shawnee Website says too crowded for uphill on weekends

Edited by abe