1/23..not as cold..sausage Sunday.

GrilledSteezeSandwich

8 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

Had a great day today. Out on the snow by 805, snow was perfect everywhere. Took a fall in the glades off Main Street, wasn’t going fast, but hit a small stump, don’t even know what happened, but the back of my head hit first. Thank God for helmets and MIPS. Thanks @indiggioand Slim for waiting and making sure I was ok. This is the dent in my helmet! 

017ADAC4-13C1-4152-8F2B-11059A775F78.jpeg

Glad you’re okay and had a helmet! Might be time to buy a new one…

• Like 1

Think you should look at replacing the helmet, most ski helmets are like bike helmets, designed for one impact with crushable foam. When I crashed and was sledded off the slope a while ago, the ski patrol was pretty insistent about a new helmet.

Last year at Sunday River a guy I ski with took a slow fall on a hard slope, and knocked himself out. A short time of rag dolling it and he came to nauseous and with only a five minute short-term memory. Pretty amusing actually. Quick trip to the hospital for a concussion.  Fine after a few days. He had a hard shell lightly padded helmet designed for skeleton runs with multi impacts. 

Edited by C1erArt
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

Think you should look at replacing the helmet, most ski helmets are like bike helmets, designed for one impact with crushable foam. When I crashed and was sledded off the slope a while ago, the ski patrol was pretty insistent about a new helmet.

Last year at Sunday River a guy I ski with took a slow fall on a hard slope, and knocked himself out. A short time of rag dolling it and he came to nauseous and with only a five minute short-term memory. Pretty amusing actually. Quick trip to the hospital for a concussion.  Fine after a few days. He had a hard shell lightly padded helmet designed for skeleton runs with multi impacts. 

run it over!

Had a great day today. Out on the snow by 805, snow was perfect everywhere. Took a fall in the glades off Main Street, wasn’t going fast, but hit a small stump, don’t even know what happened, but the back of my head hit first. Thank God for helmets and MIPS. Thanks [mention=3285]indiggio[/mention]and Slim for waiting and making sure I was ok. This is the dent in my helmet! 
http://pasr.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2022_01/017ADAC4-13C1-4152-8F2B-11059A775F78.thumb.jpeg.e1d4c519aca577148c6f12e7d6cc2ff8.jpeg

Check with the manufacturer; some offer a discounted crash replacement program. Definitely replace that. Just because it looks like a small dent on the outside, if it was enough of a hit that it caused you to consider it, the foam on the inside could very easily be cracked, compressed, or otherwise compromised. Honestly from the look of that impact, MIPS probably didn’t play too much of a role here. MIPS is designed to create a slip layer for rotational impacts to slow down the rotational velocity of your brain vs your skull. Not knocking it at all, my bike helmets have it, but I’m curious how much it helps in the real world on snow or ice. All just my speculation, I’m not an engineer or brain surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Still can't get over people not wearing helmets anymore, especially boarders.

Theres A LOT more boarder at Bear Creek that dont wear helmets... a lot. Mostly younger park riders of course.

I didnt wear a helmet till I was like 27. Foolish in hindsight. I remember one morning  a few years ago waiting for the gates to open at blue and thinking to myself "wow im basically the only one not wearing a helmet".

This is kind of corny but 100% true. A few weeks after I broke my arm I had a nightmare I took the same fall but I hit my head and was in the hospital with my entire family standing around my bed. When I woke up from that is when I decided it was time to get a helmet. I only told a few people about that, its kind of weird to put into words honestly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Still can't get over people not wearing helmets anymore, especially boarders.

I have an uncle who was a ski instructor in the 80s and was a total ski bum/partier for a while. He moved to the beach for the next 30 years but recently took a job up in St Albans, VT and moved up there. We were talking at Christmas and he was excited to get up there and said he would probably get back into skiing. "I hear the skis are shaped now", but he was oddly adamant that he wouldn't be one of those "losers wearing a helmet". I told him that 99.5% of people out there wear helmets and it's kind of insane not to at this point but he was unfazed. Thankfully he works at a hospital so one would assume when he crashes at Smugglers Notch he will have top notch care. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Schif said:

I have an uncle who was a ski instructor in the 80s and was a total ski bum/partier for a while. He moved to the beach for the next 30 years but recently took a job up in St Albans, VT and moved up there. We were talking at Christmas and he was excited to get up there and said he would probably get back into skiing. "I hear the skis are shaped now", but he was oddly adamant that he wouldn't be one of those "losers wearing a helmet". I told him that 99.5% of people out there wear helmets and it's kind of insane not to at this point but he was unfazed. Thankfully he works at a hospital so one would assume when he crashes at Smugglers Notch he will have top notch care. 

Seems like many of the OG New Englanders only wear the super-protective pom-pom hats.