1-31 Velvet Carpets and Malfunctioning Sensors

Johnny Law

1 minute ago, toast21602 said:

Wonderful to hear about the good snow still being around. I should be up tomorrow +/- 30 minutes of opening.

I'll be out, you can't believe how warm it felt this morning at 15 rather than 3. Tomorrow morning is going to feel incredible and the snow I think will still be very good.  

• Like 2

They have to do something about the quad. Was on the second chair up, and things were as JL described. When the lift stopped for the second 10 minute incident, and the mechanic came down a second time on the skidoo, I headed over to the Main Street lift. That got a little crowded too, but I cheated by going under the lift to the west side line. Dreamweaver and Main Street were in great shape, Main Street better than it was last week. Switch was OK, but nothing special. Left about noon time, the quad line was 10 or 15 yards in front of the gates.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, antman12 said:

The issues with the quad is starting to get out of hand. It’s everyday all day at this point. At what point do they shut it down for a couple days and actually fix it and not bandaid it together?

Yes, it's annoying as hell. They pretty much scratched Mon-Tue-Wed from weekday skiing, it now feels like a weekend, at times even worse because nobody's filling the chairs, people feel free to ride in pairs when there is a mile long line behind them, and the 6-pack is of course standing still, saving Blue the electric bill and attendants salary. Boo the Blue!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

The quad stopped for 10 mins or so around 930 

Lol that’s when I was eyeing the nylon fence and contemplating whether or not I can limbo. I was halfway up the corral. 

Then it started again. 

The trash clean up crew was coming down and they did a fine job . No cans or crap leftover. 

Decided to run up for a morning session hoping for 3hrs but work world found me and only managed an hour. I wanted to see what the Freefall bumps look like in the morning. Ok but the light was flat on skiers right and was some ice lurking and it was scraped down a bit. I was planning on a return this evening but work killed that idea $&@“$!!!. So I went home and drank some beer. “ Double Blizzard “ 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, antman12 said:

The issues with the quad is starting to get out of hand. It’s everyday all day at this point. At what point do they shut it down for a couple days and actually fix it and not bandaid it together?

I don't think it's actually busted like a drive issue or something of that nature. Rather it's old as fuck so the sensors keep malfunctioning. It tends to take multiple attempts to restart after a stop and today on the first stop Mixil and I heard the trash guys radio say they had 3 stops already for a sensor on tower 9. It seems to be worse the colder and more snow/ice is around which is common to electrical sensors. 

It's like an old car, the motor and trans are fine but the electrical system is sending crap to old crap sensors which tell the computer to stop as something is wrong. To replace it all would be a summer project if at all. 

• Like 4

So when the line wasn’t too bad, the person in front of me got his pole basket caught in the fence just as I tripped the gate. Didn’t get thru it on time, and none of the gates would open for me after that. So I went in the ski patrol entrance. Wasn’t sure what else to do.

2 hours ago, eaf said:

Yes, it's annoying as hell. They pretty much scratched Mon-Tue-Wed from weekday skiing, it now feels like a weekend, at times even worse because nobody's filling the chairs, people feel free to ride in pairs when there is a mile long line behind them, and the 6-pack is of course standing still, saving Blue the electric bill and attendants salary. Boo the Blue!

Do you blame them though? It wouldn’t make too much sense to run and staff both lifts midweek unless the demand is there, which it doesn’t seem like it is. You can’t just “flip a switch” and turn a lift on. If the quad goes down it’s going to take at least a half hour to open the 6er assuming they even have the staff of to do that, which negates your second point of the salary savings 

the bigger issue is the fact they keep opening a lift with known issues, all (assuming) to be centered around the fact it provides direct access to their “new” trail they highly advertised at the beginning of the season, if the situation was flipped and they weren’t running the quad people would bitch they have to hike to get to the new trail 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, C1erArt said:

So when the line wasn’t too bad, the person in front of me got his pole basket caught in the fence just as I tripped the gate. Didn’t get thru it on time, and none of the gates would open for me after that. So I went in the ski patrol entrance. Wasn’t sure what else to do.

image.png.6d38cbc6b480ac9d94a813a33a8d31e8.png

@Johnny Law at one point, something tripped either 3 times in 5 min or 5 times in 3 min cant remember

Edited by Benm
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, C1erArt said:

Slam one leg at a time through the gate opening, as they give just enough to get through that way.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

I don't think it's actually busted like a drive issue or something of that nature. Rather it's old as fuck so the sensors keep malfunctioning. It tends to take multiple attempts to restart after a stop and today on the first stop Mixil and I heard the trash guys radio say they had 3 stops already for a sensor on tower 9. It seems to be worse the colder and more snow/ice is around which is common to electrical sensors. 

It's like an old car, the motor and trans are fine but the electrical system is sending crap to old crap sensors which tell the computer to stop as something is wrong. To replace it all would be a summer project if at all. 

Im a firm believer in the fact that pretty much anything can be fixed, it just depends upon how much money you want to spend.  I would agree that the drive is fine, and they need to basically start from scratch on the wiring and sensors.  I am sure they tinker with this thing over the summer, replace this little part, and fix that little connection, but like you said, its operation is affected by the cold.  So over the summer, when they do tinker with it, it runs fine, and everybody thinks it will be fine come ski season.  

Time to go to the manufacturer and get help with making it run.  open up the wallet, i mean, spend some of that upcoming revenue they will receive from that paid parking.  

• Like 3