New Lift for Blue?

billskis

10 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Farewell Little Gap. At least we still have the upper lot and lodge to remember it by 

The vista chair is still there.  It would be sweet if they brought back the t bar or put in a poma lift for the bumpers and come around peeps.  I like good old fashioned rope tows..they’re a little more technical. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Benm said:

im surprised they had a crane out today, it was windy as shit. 

Good point.  We’ve done big crane rentals a few times for Crypts and Mauseleums. The last one we rented in Jersey was like $3,200 for four hours including the operator who drove it in.  He said the truck he was using brand new was $1.5m

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

15 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Farewell Little Gap. At least we still have the upper lot and lodge to remember it by 

Does anyone think that maybe they should have left one of the Main St/Burma chairs in so everyone didn't have to go all the way to the valley? Like people who only want to ski/ride the Come Around park?

7 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

Does anyone think that maybe they should have left one of the Main St/Burma chairs in so everyone didn't have to go all the way to the valley? Like people who only want to ski/ride the Come Around park?

For people who just want to ski/ride the come around park, they can ride the vista chair.  I think the Main Street and Burma chair were past their usable life and leaving one or both would get in the way of the new super summit safari six pack.  I’m happy to see the loser lifts gone.  

• Boner City 1

55 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

For people who just want to ski/ride the come around park, they can ride the vista chair.  I think the Main Street and Burma chair were past their usable life and leaving one or both would get in the way of the new super summit safari six pack.  I’m happy to see the loser lifts gone.  

Those were the mogul skier lifts and they're, like, the best skiers on the mountain but their lifts were old and slow and the Super Duper Safari lift will be far superior and provide skiers of all abilities more fun at the second best mountain in northeastern Pennsylvania.

• Like 1
  • Boner City 1

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Those were the mogul skier lifts and they're, like, the best skiers on the mountain but their lifts were old and slow and the Super Duper Safari lift will be far superior and provide skiers of all abilities more fun at the second best mountain in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Salty you’re always the voice of reason here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trackbiker said:

Yeah if it didn't conflict with the new lift I would have left them there - and honestly if there was a conflict I would have rather the new lift just have been placed where the old ones were. It is really not a plus have to traverse over to homestretch after doing Main Street / Switchback / Burma etc. Plus you lose the advantage of smaller lines at those not-from-the-base lifts.

Hopefully removing old lifts means you can coast directly across Main St from Burma without that brief uphill bit.  

Not sure if interference would have been an issue, but sure leaving one up would have been swell, but from Blues perspective, its at the end, or close to the end of its serviceable life.  But also, again, looking at it from their perspective, they would be adding the Summit Safari Super Six Pack Supreme, then having to staff the new lift, if they were going to run the main street chair.  So, they shut down those lifts, move more skiers, with the same (or less) staff.  

• Like 1

Lots of talk about the end of serviceable life for two lifts that I've never had to scoot away from after hearing a horrible clanking noise and realizing it would probably be broken for at least 2 hours. 

(I'm talking about a bad experience with the quad)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Schif said:

Lots of talk about the end of serviceable life for two lifts that I've never had to scoot away from after hearing a horrible clanking noise and realizing it would probably be broken for at least 2 hours. 

Well the quad is 28 years old, it’s near the end of its life.  

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Schif said:

oh, then you missed the time when we were in line and all of a sudden the counterweight jumped 2'.  No joke.  I forget who else was there, but at least Jlaw.  and then of course for some reason we both still got on it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

oh, then you missed the time when we were in line and all of a sudden the counterweight jumped 2'.  No joke.  I forget who else was there, but at least Jlaw.  and then of course for some reason we both still got on it.  

yep I was there, also on the 6 when it slipped backwards a bit...

10 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

I was going to say the double was sketchy af, there was a big cross beam they had slapped on that ran diagonally about 40ft out from loading. On a quick stop that fucker jumped and moved a good foot on the left end while the counter went 4ft off the ground.  Loud af but of course I'm riding it otherwise I'd have to walk back like some kind of joker. 

I'm sure there was some kind of angular force or torsion so throw some big ass piece of metal up and call it a day but the new whatever it's called won't work with that back yard engineering so at least at that level it's an improvement 

I vote tbar as its both entertainment and transportation.

Edited by Johnny Law
  • Like 1
  • Boner City 1

58 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I was going to say the double was sketchy af, there was a big cross beam they had slapped on that ran diagonally about 40ft out from loading. On a quick stop that fucker jumped and moved a good foot on the left end while the counter went 4ft off the ground.  Loud af but of course I'm riding it otherwise I'd have to walk back like some kind of joker. 

I'm sure there was some kind of angular force or torsion so throw some big ass piece of metal up and call it a day but the new whatever it's called won't work with that back yard engineering so at least at that level it's an improvement 

I vote tbar as its both entertainment and transportation.

Nothing is as sketchy as the Long Haul lift at Montage with the John Deere and International engine parts in there scattered all over that run the thing occasionally. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

Some pics of the top terminal....It looks pretty legit...On my way up I talked to a guy working there(Blue employee)...Said the were looking at Dec. 15th finish date...Where he got that info I do not know...All the guns on Vista looked to be on standby ready to go...

20221117_160608.jpg

20221117_161044.jpg

20221117_161105.jpg

20221117_161132.jpg

20221117_161156.jpg

20221117_161159.jpg

20221117_161222.jpg

20221117_161226.jpg

@GrilledSteezeSandwich dis is gettin' gud.

Edited by saltyant

15 hours ago, toast21602 said:

Nothing is as sketchy as the Long Haul lift at Montage with the John Deere and International engine parts in there scattered all over that run the thing occasionally. 

I’ll take the long haul over the doubles at blue knob. I’m pretty sure they just let the local meth head run on a human hamster wheel for a free season pass to power those things. Not to mention I think the haul ropes needed to be shortened years back, so much slack and bounce even when not loaded.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1