Jump to content

New Lift for Blue?


billskis
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, skiincy said:

Is anyone going to Oktoberfest at Blue Sept 24-25? 

https://skibluemt.com/upcoming-events/oktoberfest/

I mostly just want to see the lift in progress...

I'll be out of town but I usually do go. It is a pretty fun time and would recommend it if you are looking for something to do. Scenic lift rides never disappoint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 6:08 AM, JFskiDan said:

I think as long as all the concrete gets in the ground here in the next week or two, it will be good to go.  Its not like we are gonna be skiing next month.  

Still not sure of the geometry that's going to happen for the lower house, but in the webcam there is clearly one footer visible, and this morning they are doing all kinds of measuring back from that footer. I think that footer is for the house and not the first tower, I'm thinking the first tower footer is probably down in that recessed area.

 

Wonder what point they are trying to establish? Hopefully not where to place another house footer . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, toast21602 said:

I hope things start to move a little quicker... 

seriously. Camelbacks looks almost completed. At least blue’s it won’t take 5 years to install like Magic’s quad. (Hopefully)

image.thumb.jpeg.1e70a92b0b6fb7cf39d7368f3585784c.jpeg

Watch this year be crazy cold and everyone open for thanksgiving, and blue opens with just vista chair  due to the new lift still not being done.

Edited by rgrwilco
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may have been obvious to everyone else, but I've just come to the realization that the house/liftline are going in looker's right of the structure that is in place there, and not in the foreground as I assumed from the visible footer and the basin which I thought would be the dip after boarding. That means that the progress on the footers/foundation is all hidden from the cam by the dirt piles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe, and this is pure speculation, since Blue and Camelback are the same company now they are using the same construction resources on both projects. I mean there can't be that many people on the East Coast that know how to install chair lifts right? Maybe the crew over in Tannersville will come over to Blue once they are done there and put in the more technical and higher visibility things. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Schif said:

Maybe, and this is pure speculation, since Blue and Camelback are the same company now they are using the same construction resources on both projects. I mean there can't be that many people on the East Coast that know how to install chair lifts right? Maybe the crew over in Tannersville will come over to Blue once they are done there and put in the more technical and higher visibility things. 

@toast21602and I speculated the same a few pages back, I think he even said he had heard that from somewhere. It makes sense, the crews are probably pretty specialized, like concrete, then construction for the power house and op shack, electrical, crew for the lift house, tower installers, rope installers. Probably different crews, so they can do one then head south for the other

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

@toast21602and I speculated the same a few pages back, I think he even said he had heard that from somewhere. It makes sense, the crews are probably pretty specialized, like concrete, then construction for the power house and op shack, electrical, crew for the lift house, tower installers, rope installers. Probably different crews, so they can do one then head south for the other

 

I think the thing that is really going to hold up this project is the fact that @AtomicSkier hasn't gotten certified on helicopters yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am putting on my optimistic face, and going with they are going to get this done in time.  They pulled out main/burma, so really at that point they were really committed.  Also it would be an epic fail that they wouldnt live down if this doesnt work out.  

Is it possible it isnt ready for opening?  Yeah, but its not like all of a sudden Allentown turns into the snow globe in November and would shut the work down.  it just gets cold.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i am putting on my optimistic face, and going with they are going to get this done in time.  They pulled out main/burma, so really at that point they were really committed.  Also it would be an epic fail that they wouldnt live down if this doesnt work out.  

Is it possible it isnt ready for opening?  Yeah, but its not like all of a sudden Allentown turns into the snow globe in November and would shut the work down.  it just gets cold.  

It usually snows more in Allentown than at Blue..When I was a kid there were a few storms where it was rain in Allentown and 6-8” of heavy wet snow at Blue and it’s been a long time since we’ve had that sort of situation.  It’s funny when we get those southern and or coastal storms and Philly gets dumped on and Blue gets fuck all. Toast will tell you about the backyard affect.  It brings all the Tom Dick and Phoungs out to Blue the true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It usually snows more in Allentown than at Blue..When I was a kid there were a few storms where it was rain in Allentown and 6-8” of heavy wet snow at Blue and it’s been a long time since we’ve had that sort of situation.  It’s funny when we get those southern and or coastal storms and Philly gets dumped on and Blue gets fuck all. Toast will tell you about the backyard affect.  It brings all the Tom Dick and Phoungs out to Blue the true. 

I remember this storm. Skied BC in Jim Thorpe…bad decision! No base and barley a foot, rocks galore. Blue got 2’ I got 34” in Southern lehigh county. Should have stayed in my backyard. I have 300’ vert close by. 
The cutoff on the heavy precipitation was pretty sharp with this storm,  I think Poconos only got a few inches.  

BEB45A18-47FD-41CA-AE4B-22F7DE0F0661.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AirheadD8 said:

I remember this storm. Skied BC in Jim Thorpe…bad decision! No base and barley a foot, rocks galore. Blue got 2’ I got 34” in Southern lehigh county. Should have stayed in my backyard. I have 300’ vert close by. 
The cutoff on the heavy precipitation was pretty sharp with this storm,  I think Poconos only got a few inches.  

BEB45A18-47FD-41CA-AE4B-22F7DE0F0661.jpeg

How steep is the 300 vert?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I wasn’t around for that storm, me and Atomic Jeff were headed for Jackson hole the day of that blizzard so we booked our flights and hotel two days earlier so instead of 7 ski days at Jackson hole we had 9 ski days at Jackson hole.  Poor us. 

I heard that the crowd wasn’t too bad that day but the next day was a total shit show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

I heard that the crowd wasn’t too bad that day but the next day was a total shit show. 

there were few people that day, and it was maybe the heaviest falling snow I have ever witnessed.  However, the wind was so strong that razors and challenge were sheets of ice, while other trails had waist deep snow drifts.  Allentown was only supposed to get 11 inches, and blue less with the snow supposed to be stopping on our drive up.  However, it never stopped, just kept dumping and dumping while we were at blue, and continued on the way home.  476 was a fun drive home lol

Edited by theprogram4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...