2/21/22..Presidents’ Day...amazing

GrilledSteezeSandwich

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun session at Blue mountain the true mountain. I arrived at the lower lot and it was in the low 20s under sunny sky’s. In the house were Johnny Law, PARidge, Atomic Jeff, BenM, Bethlehem ford guy, Schifdawg and Nancy.  It was nice and quiet today with the 8am start.  First run on challenge was 9 out of 10 good..I skied that two more times then to Main Street which was even better.   

The rest of the session just skied Main Street, switchback and lower Widowmaker to midway to Main Street.  The line for the six pack was never more than a couple chairs and we managed 13 runs by 9:55am.  The conditions were 100% winter conditions but I imagine the snow is getting really sticky by now with the rising temperatures and fresh manmade snow. Now time to do some work.  I’ll likely be back on Wednesday AM.  

• Like 5

Skied 6-730 with the fam. Boo forgot her ski pants but she HTFU and rode in her base layer. 38 degrees when we got there so it wasn't the worst.

Saw @Dirtwolf's truck in the lot walking out and hoped to grab a post ride beverage with him but he ski-daddled by the time we got back.

Light lines and good snow made for a fun night. They closed the six pack around 715 but it was clearing out. Wanted to keep the streak going tomorrow but the rain makes me think they might close early.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Skied 6-730 with the fam. Boo forgot her ski pants but she HTFU and rode in her base layer. 38 degrees when we got there so it wasn't the worst.

Saw @Dirtwolf's truck in the lot walking out and hoped to grab a post ride beverage with him but he ski-daddled by the time we got back.

Light lines and good snow made for a fun night. They closed the six pack around 715 but it was clearing out. Wanted to keep the streak going tomorrow but the rain makes me think they might close early.

I never wear a lower body base layer so I’d be screwed if I forgot my ski pants.  I did have khaki pants in my car this morning though. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Today was superb.  The lightest crowds I've seen this year in the morning for the first hour.  I think @Johnny Law and I did 6+ WidowMidwayMains without a single person in our way.  13 or 14 runs in by 10am reminded us of mornings in the pre-times.

Always happen that the condition get the best the day before it's going to be 60F and raining.

• Like 3

Skied 5-7:30 “ Garage sale night “My son counted 26 poles , 18 gloves and a pair of goggles (not my size) under the main st chair.  Hit main st a couple times. Barneys spit me out early and I slid for a while. 
Not to be intimidated I returned when the light was better, I should know by now. Had 3 very firm runs but respectable. Hit TCS , needed ear plugs for the really loud powder up top. Skiers right was entertaining watching boarders slide all the way down. 
A couple bumps were actually nice but some ice between. 

Had a scare on lower main st . Just before the switch merge. I stopped on the west side and my son was on the East side we both looked uphill before he started traverse over to me. 5 park rats straight lined main st in a tight group. They were on us in seconds , I yelled to my son to stop and he pulled up quickly. One on either side  missing him by inches, they were doing easily 45mph! They didn’t pull up much and went though the lower lift merge area at full speed WTF! 
The Papa Bear in me wanted to go kick some ass but I was in shock. 
Nice night otherwise. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AirheadD8 said:

Skied 5-7:30 “ Garage sale night “My son counted 26 poles , 18 gloves and a pair of goggles (not my size) under the main st chair.  Hit main st a couple times. Barneys spit me out early and I slid for a while. 
Not to be intimidated I returned when the light was better, I should know by now. Had 3 very firm runs but respectable. Hit TCS , needed ear plugs for the really loud powder up top. Skiers right was entertaining watching boarders slide all the way down. 
A couple bumps were actually nice but some ice between. 

Had a scare on lower main st . Just before the switch merge. I stopped on the west side and my son was on the East side we both looked uphill before he started traverse over to me. 5 park rats straight lined main st in a tight group. They were on us in seconds , I yelled to my son to stop and he pulled up quickly. One on either side  missing him by inches, they were doing easily 45mph! They didn’t pull up much and went though the lower lift merge area at full speed WTF! 
The Papa Bear in me wanted to go kick some ass but I was in shock. 
Nice night otherwise. 

Stopping in the middle of a ski trail at Blue doesn’t seem safe to me.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Maybe you missed the parts about East and West? We were off to the sides . Nobody uphill. We both looked uphill before he came across. 

Gotcha well if you ever see me flying down, don’t worry I won’t crash into you or your kid..and I’ll likely be going over 45mph. I don’t know if I’ll ever see you up there. The last two seasons at Blue I’ve only been up opening bell until I don’t feel like skiing anymore and I don’t see going back to afternoon or night moves. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

6 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Gotcha well if you ever see me flying down, don’t worry I won’t crash into you or your kid..and I’ll likely be going over 45mph. I don’t know if I’ll ever see you up there. The last two seasons at Blue I’ve only been up opening bell until I don’t feel like skiing anymore and I don’t see going back to afternoon or night moves. 

I'm not worried about you ,I ski fast but not reckless , I don't use my Ski Tracks Ap any more but have a good idea how fast I'm going and hit 40+ regularly and if I'm passing someone give plenty of room.

I don't ski too many mornings but really enjoy that time when I make it up . 

I've been on skis 47yrs and have seen a bunch of A hole stuff  but last night was the most reckless thing I've ever seen . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mute1080 said:

Just posted on their FB they’re closing at 4 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, mute1080 said:

I rolled up around 5:45 and skied until about 7.  Laughing because this is not the first time this has happened this season.

• Thanks 1

I have boarded for a long time but decided to try a ski lesson with my wife yesterday at Blue.  It was awesome, however while I was practicing on the beginner hill I had a raccoon run at me then pass directly in front of me just as I was getting up from a fall.  It then ran towards a mom and her daughter who i yelled to and I think the mother hit it with her pole and it took off under the lift loading area.  My wife was already back at the lodge outside having a drink.   When I texted her to tell her about it she told me I was full of shit.....then the raccoon showed up there, drank a left over drink and ran inside.   It was pretty wild.  Did anyone else encounter rocky raccoon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, synack said:

I have boarded for a long time but decided to try a ski lesson with my wife yesterday at Blue.  It was awesome, however while I was practicing on the beginner hill I had a raccoon run at me then pass directly in front of me just as I was getting up from a fall.  It then ran towards a mom and her daughter who i yelled to and I think the mother hit it with her pole and it took off under the lift loading area.  My wife was already back at the lodge outside having a drink.   When I texted her to tell her about it she told me I was full of shit.....then the raccoon showed up there, drank a left over drink and ran inside.   It was pretty wild.  Did anyone else encounter rocky raccoon?

Raccoons are nocturnal, sounds rabid to me..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, synack said:

there was a Bear wandering around one day early season for opening they had to poke with a stick to get moving.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1