Jump to content

Pacific Northwest


theprogram4
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone here have experience riding Oregon or Washington state?  Curious about mount baker specifically, as they get I believe the highest average snowfall (680 inches) in the US, but only 1600 ft vert (I realize vert isn’t everything).  Also curious about stevens pass, plus mt bachelor and both mount hood resorts.  Timberline seems like more of a summer skiing resort than a winter skiing one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

Anyone here have experience riding Oregon or Washington state?  Curious about mount baker specifically, as they get I believe the highest average snowfall (680 inches) in the US, but only 1600 ft vert (I realize vert isn’t everything).  Also curious about stevens pass, plus mt bachelor and both mount hood resorts.  Timberline seems like more of a summer skiing resort than a winter skiing one

Yep, I've skied Baker and Stevens. Both are really cool places. Small, but fun. When I went out in 2011? it was supposed to dump snow on us but when we got there it pretty much rained the whole time until the snow levels dropped on the last day. I've been to Seattle multiple times and it is a great food and beer city. The PNW is one of my favorite parts of the country.

Not much of a TR from the monsoon skiing: 

 

Edited by toast21602
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Damn toast I didn’t remember that trip, good looks

The lack of TR didn't make it very memorable. I'd like to get out there again at some point, but it is definitely high risk high reward type of trip. I was just looking through my pictures and it seems like I mostly took photos of Seattle, the sushi, beer, and cabin 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hear there's a lot of hippy liberals.... your head might explode out there.

My college roommate lives in Portland and skis out there. I'll ask her how conditions have been and what she recommends. Are you hoping to get out there this year?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, skiincy said:

I hear there's a lot of hippy liberals.... your head might explode out there.

My college roommate lives in Portland and skis out there. I'll ask her how conditions have been and what she recommends. Are you hoping to get out there this year?

yes I’d stick out like a sore thumb there lol. Not planning a trip, just have spent the past few days studying trail maps all across America.  From my one visit there I thought oregon was the most beautiful nature I’ve ever seen, so I’m making up pretend ski road trips in my head.  Baker has always fascinated me with their crazy snow totals...renting a car to ski/ride montanis in the PNW just seems like it would be amazing 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

yes I’d stick out like a sore thumb there lol. Not planning a trip, just have spent the past few days studying trail maps all across America.  From my one visit there I thought oregon was the most beautiful nature I’ve ever seen, so I’m making up pretend ski road trips in my head.  Baker has always fascinated me with their crazy snow totals...renting a car to ski/ride montanis in the PNW just seems like it would be amazing 

Fly into Seattle and you can do Baker/Bachelor in the same trip.  PNW is all weather dependent, baker is like the Jay of the pnw. Middle of nowhere on a road that only goes there so some of that total is rain at say mission or hoodoo. 

They kinda get that Tahoe schedule of huge dumps with shit weather in-between. Snoqualmie is generally the biggest and most crowded resort in the area.

Bend is a super awesome skiing town and has mad cheap hotels. A good place to make a base from and explore. 

Generally both are cheap to fly to direct from the EC. If you don't have alot of people you can rent a taco in lots of places and SeaTac must have a ton as its generally lower than a compact. 

Don't sleep on Alpental, it's sort of the Alta of the PNW. 

The main thing is to think about the PNW like Tahoe of VT, its all about timing.  It can be the best and the worst all in the same day. It can snow 100" or rain for a week. Utah you can book 4 months in advance and you'll be fine if not good odds for the goods. PNW you'd be taking alot more risk. 

All of those areas have exploded in population so the hills were busy pre covid but post alot are having problems. Snoqualmie in particular I have been told was crazy busy so far. 

Lastly most don't think of it but the monashees and coast mtns are only hours away. Bring your passport and if its raining you bug out to the pow zones of interior BC. Red is like 6hrs from Seattle and generally they are some of the snowiest places on earth. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 8:42 AM, Johnny Law said:

Fly into Seattle and you can do Baker/Bachelor in the same trip.  PNW is all weather dependent, baker is like the Jay of the pnw. Middle of nowhere on a road that only goes there so some of that total is rain at say mission or hoodoo. 

They kinda get that Tahoe schedule of huge dumps with shit weather in-between. Snoqualmie is generally the biggest and most crowded resort in the area.

Bend is a super awesome skiing town and has mad cheap hotels. A good place to make a base from and explore. 

Generally both are cheap to fly to direct from the EC. If you don't have alot of people you can rent a taco in lots of places and SeaTac must have a ton as its generally lower than a compact. 

Don't sleep on Alpental, it's sort of the Alta of the PNW. 

The main thing is to think about the PNW like Tahoe of VT, its all about timing.  It can be the best and the worst all in the same day. It can snow 100" or rain for a week. Utah you can book 4 months in advance and you'll be fine if not good odds for the goods. PNW you'd be taking alot more risk. 

All of those areas have exploded in population so the hills were busy pre covid but post alot are having problems. Snoqualmie in particular I have been told was crazy busy so far. 

Lastly most don't think of it but the monashees and coast mtns are only hours away. Bring your passport and if its raining you bug out to the pow zones of interior BC. Red is like 6hrs from Seattle and generally they are some of the snowiest places on earth. 

Have you ridden mount bachelor?  I feel like we discussed it in the lot years ago.  The trail map looks legit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

Have you ridden mount bachelor?  I feel like we discussed it in the lot years ago.  The trail map looks legit 

Yes and yes, i can recall discussing bakers record year and weirdos in Portland. 

I will say I have a huge soft spot for Bach so it's a little like asking me about boobs or switchback, I probably can't be objective.

First and foremost it's skiing on a volcano and not part of it but the whole thing, including the summit. You can literally go around the mtn which is cool and pretty unique. Essentially it's a giant cone with lifts and runs that cut the pie and very loosely meet at the top 

They at least claim better drier snow than the rest of Oregon but I can't independently verify. Great terrain, tons of little pockets and hidey holes, very playful similar to the mili area at Brighton. Lots of family's and local family's so sort of like Snowmass in that they are trying to have lots of terrain for everyone.

Vibe was super chill, like Tahoe but without the CA or Aspen without some of the $$$. Lots of rippers, lots of family's lots of travelers destination type mtn crowd. 

Summit chair is dope with a big bowl cirque thing and I recall the blues and greens near skyliner are prime family groomers. 

The views are spectacular in a heavenly way not like telluride mini alps. Lots of parking areas so alot more of plan your day around a lift or area than one main parking lot. I remember the map was not great and it was harder to get from x to y then it looks but not like pow mow throw that shit in the trash bad. 

I would say it's the best of Oregon though it has been along time and I have heard it's busier but nothing crazy. It's definitely one of the more cool setups for a mtn and with Bend nearby I would skip Baker before Bachelor on a PNW trip.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been drawn to the PNW for years and never went. In the classic snowboard film “bikecar” they get to mission ridge and bachelor during spring and those places have been top of my list since. And crystal.

But there’s also a lot of really interesting and quirky places like hoodoo, white pass, willamete pass.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

I’ve been drawn to the PNW for years and never went. In the classic snowboard film “bikecar” they get to mission ridge and bachelor during spring and those places have been top of my list since. And crystal.

But there’s also a lot of really interesting and quirky places like hoodoo, white pass, willamete pass.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely has an allure, personally I say it's the pine trees. 

 

I forgot about stal, its probably actually the most visited in the area though Snoqualmie is probably close.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...