montage 2 26 22

abe

41 minutes ago, trackbiker said:

I was there last Saturday and Long Haul was running. Upper Runaway and Upper Fast Track weren't open so I was surprised it was running. Conditions were better than expected. Hard but carveable.

Yeah looks like you can do Whistler to Lower Runaway off it is all. If so will basically use it to get a run back to the lodge for lunch. 

Pretty nice conditions on the north face yesterday - all groomed out including White Lightning. Some slick spots at first but softened as it warmed.

Whistler up top was treacherously icy at opening - a blue but harder than anything else I skied.

Lots of folks skiing in Eagles garb breaking into their Fight Song in the lift quque.

Long Haul was open - rode that a couple times. Noted it has 180 chairs on it - expect that is a record for PA. I believe Stowe's Lookout Double has over 200.

Noticed a President Biden in Scranton - first time I saw that

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski

Pulled  into a half filled lot just before 8:15 thinking WTF as the lifts start rolling at 9!? Seconds later @JFskiDan pulled in next to me thinking the same thing. Painless issue of Indy pass and waiting for mountain host to give us the green light, a hundred or so race kids fly by us explaining all the cars in the lot. They let season pass holders start at 8:30 which is pretty cool, a few minutes before 9:00 we were off, working the north side skiers left to right. Temp was a cold 40d under overcast skies. Snow was soft Cornish cord that held up pretty well as we worked our way across. I started out tele that was pretty fun but challenging on a few of the steeper pitches, thanks for waiting Dan lol. 

after we hit everything down low it was rinse and repeat, I swapped out skis and we took a ride up top on the iron horse. We watched the race kids from above struggling with tough conditions. At the top we remarked about the troegs shack and the lifty said they open at 11. 
back down bottom the snow was holding up, just a little choppy here and there. The lift not so much as it was stopping every ride for 5 minutes or so.

Worked our way across for another round, figured we were pressing our luck and headed back up top for a beer. Troegs wasn’t opened so we headed back to the trucks for a beer and some of Benm’s Reese’s chips ahoy and peaced out around noon. Fun morning with a change of scenery with better snow and less crowds than Blue

#IndyRevolutiion

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sugar free day at montage. Early runs with some soft cord, and stuff held up pretty well. Some scratchy spots to be had, but over all a pretty good day. Good call by mike thinking outside the Blue box a little. I think i get trapped in that and need a little nudge to get out of it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Tough break Montage Ops getting shut down by power outage in a rare prime snow making window.  

It’s cold enough to blow snow today at Montage?

wow 31 degrees in Scranton..sweet winter is back boys and girls.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

48 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

3 nights followed by 2x24 hr periods is enough time to fully blanked a bare mountain with good ski conditions. Hope they make the most of it and hope the forecast is wrong about the 10 days after that.

It is?  If that’s the case why wasn’t montage fully open after the Xmas cold spell

2 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It is?  If that’s the case why wasn’t montage fully open after the Xmas cold spell

I cant read minds but it would be reasonable to not do so knowing it was going to warm up and rain so drastically a few days later that all the $ put into snowmaking would Xmas weekend woulf be washed away NYears weekend before those $ were recouped in extra lift ticket sales.

• 2 weeks later...

Girls 1st trip down White Lighning today. No falls.

Good time to give it a try when snow softened up this afternoon and it had been recently groomed.

Tells me they can now ski anything in PA when conditions are decent.

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Girls 1st trip down White Lighning today. No falls.

Good time to give it a try when snow softened up this afternoon and it had been recently groomed.

Tells me they can now ski anything in PA when conditions are decent.

Nice! Pretty soon they’ll be able to beat GSS in a Chinese downhill 

• Boner City 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1