Flying trips

mgguy

Going to sound like a noob here, but over the last 25+ years all of my trips have been drive trips to NE. Last fly trip west was to Jackson Hole in early 90's. Back then I could pack all of my clothes in the ski bag with my skis and carry on my boot bag. Looking to go to Colorado next winter and wondering what the packing/bag protocols are now. Skis in separate bag (can I put 2 pairs in same bag?) Carry on? Can I still pack clothing in around skis? Any other feedback appreciated! 

Note, I've flown only with United and Delta...

My current trip(United)... I packed 3 boards, two sets of bindings, boots, helmet, base layers, jacket, pants, socks, googles, tools/wax,...., In my snowboard bag.  As long as the overall weight is under 50lbs I've not had an issue.  Now, I do tend to only put items that I would with wear or use for snowboarding.

1 hour ago, theprogram4 said:

A ski bag and boot bag count as only 1 bag when you pay.  Ignore the people here who tell you to bring your gear on the plane 

Don’t check your ski boots.  That’s a gaper move.  If the airline loses your skis, it’s easy to rent or demo different skis but nobody wants rental ski boots.  

For me, two pairs of skis, poles and a few fleeces for extra padding in ski bag and a large suitcase for my clothes, toiletries, shoes..helmet..

my carryon bag consists of ski boots, ski pants and phone charger and I also wear my ski jacket onto the plane and use the pockets for contact lense stuff.  

Its funny youre asking now and not even going out west till next season but way to get after it and finally getting off the ice coast.  

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Don’t check your ski boots.  That’s a gaper move.  If the airline loses your skis, it’s easy to rent or demo different skis but nobody wants rental ski boots.  

Easy to say that when your friend is flying you out west on his private plane lol

2 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Easy to say that when your friend is flying you out west on his private plane lol

TP4 so do you pack your clothes as carryon?  On non skiing trips that what I do. 

Haha TP4 you get free ski trips from your dad, I only got a free company from my dad lol. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

TP4 so do you pack your clothes as carryon?  On non skiing trips that what I do. 

Haha TP4 you get free ski trips from your dad, I only got a free company from my dad lol. 

I don’t pack any clothes, I just wear the same thing for a week straight.  Also, and this isn’t an insult, I respect the fact that you have the second easiest life of anyone I’ve ever met lol.  You  just sit back, work 20 hours per week, and have your parents send you a paycheck.  I’d love to be on that gravy train.  I can’t even hate cause it’s a nice lifestyle 

4 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

I don’t pack any clothes, I just wear the same thing for a week straight.  Also, and this isn’t an insult, I respect the fact that you have the second easiest life of anyone I’ve ever met lol.  You  just sit back, work 20 hours per week, and have your parents send you a paycheck.  I’d love to be on that gravy train.  I can’t even hate cause it’s a nice lifestyle 

I write my own paychecks. I actually send my parents a monthly rent check.  Some weeks I work 30 hours.  I’m at work now. 

Thanks, appreciate the info. Deciding on a week at Okemo or going to Copper. The Okemo requires getting the Epic fairly soon and making reservations sooner than going out west. Going for the early bird purchases! Ideally could afford both trips.....  Okemo in February and Copper in March....

30 minutes ago, mgguy said:

Thanks, appreciate the info. Deciding on a week at Okemo or going to Copper. The Okemo requires getting the Epic fairly soon and making reservations sooner than going out west. Going for the early bird purchases! Ideally could afford both trips.....  Okemo in February and Copper in March....

Copper is a lot better than Okemo although it doesn’t have much expert terrain.  What level skier are you?  

I am advanced intermediate, can ski anything groomed, not real good off piste, my wife is seriously an advanced skier. She had Mad River season pass for many years when she lived in VT. I can handle anything that Elk has and do pretty good at Smuggs, Sugarbush or Snow.

35 minutes ago, mgguy said:

I am advanced intermediate, can ski anything groomed, not real good off piste, my wife is seriously an advanced skier. She had Mad River season pass for many years when she lived in VT. I can handle anything that Elk has and do pretty good at Smuggs, Sugarbush or Snow.

Copper should be fine for you.  I like Abasin the best in that part of Colorado.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, momskeeztoo said:

Or you could fly Southwest and get 2 free bags. Still take your boots as a carry on. We flew United out to Big Sky. 80 bucks each way for two bags. WTF. 

When I fly United with Atomic Jeff I get two free bags and I get one free bag when I fly myself on United due to United credit card.  At least you didn’t have to pay parking at the airport. That stings the most for me.  Was about $200 off-site at Newark when I went to Jackson hole. 

• Like 1