The 2022-23 ski season thread.

#epicpass did me dirty today!  Lol

I wanted to stop somewhere and ski on my drive to Marble. Thinking over my options I imagined long lift lines everywhere. Since I was solo, I just wanted to do some laps. Then it hit me; Beaver Creek!  Nobody does day trips from the front range. I checked their website and they had 2 high speed quads running, perfect!

As I passed the exits for WP and Copper I was patting myself on the back for such a smart decision on my part. I was at BC one time 10 years ago, I forgot how fancy it is. Pull up to the gated community it is and ask the attendant to direct me to the free parking. She informs me there is no free parking at Beaver Creek, of course there isn’t. My options are a $10 lot near the gate I have to shuttle from, or for $5 more I can park in the garage at the base. No brainer. Getting ready I think how fast a person could get soft booting up in a heated garage. 

I emerge at the base to find plenty of people in fancy ski outfits sitting around fireplaces drinking hot totties. Nobody seems to be on the snow, again, perfect. I go inside to have my epic pass printed and the guy says my pass is restricted. When he sees my confused face he elaborates further, it is a blackout holiday and I only have the epic local pass. Never would I have thought to check the website that a day in Nov would be blacked out. I felt like a complete dope. Out of principal I could not buy a day ticket so off I went. Hopefully I can hit it on my way back to Boulder. 

• Sad 6

Real nice day at Hunter. 

Made it door to door in 2:35 (Blue takes at least 1:40). Lines were close to non existent so I got in 15 runs in 3hrs and 45 min. No bare or icy spots.

Belt Parkway stayed firm but carveable all day. Hellgate was a little softer and pretty ideal. Minya had some soft natural bumps at the top and left felt like spring skiing by 11 as it gets the most early sub.

Overlookbwas less fun with big hard cookies and turns out ESDrive was not open despite being reported as open.

Probably the best day of November skiing I have had.

No pix - y'all know what Hunter looks like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, Barb said:

I wanted to stop somewhere and ski on my drive to Marble. Thinking over my options I imagined long lift lines everywhere. Since I was solo, I just wanted to do some laps. Then it hit me; Beaver Creek!  Nobody does day trips from the front range. I checked their website and they had 2 high speed quads running, perfect!

As I passed the exits for WP and Copper I was patting myself on the back for such a smart decision on my part. I was at BC one time 10 years ago, I forgot how fancy it is. Pull up to the gated community it is and ask the attendant to direct me to the free parking. She informs me there is no free parking at Beaver Creek, of course there isn’t. My options are a $10 lot near the gate I have to shuttle from, or for $5 more I can park in the garage at the base. No brainer. Getting ready I think how fast a person could get soft booting up in a heated garage. 

I emerge at the base to find plenty of people in fancy ski outfits sitting around fireplaces drinking hot totties. Nobody seems to be on the snow, again, perfect. I go inside to have my epic pass printed and the guy says my pass is restricted. When he sees my confused face he elaborates further, it is a blackout holiday and I only have the epic local pass. Never would I have thought to check the website that a day in Nov would be blacked out. I felt like a complete dope. Out of principal I could not buy a day ticket so off I went. Hopefully I can hit it on my way back to Boulder. 

Some of the pass shit is soooo stupid, like you need a skiing pass matrix to consult before heading out.  Post Thanksgiving can be busy but not at the beav and everything is becoming planned the fuck out.  You can't do random anymore without 170000 hoops to jump through.  

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:40 PM, Barb said:

Could have hung around for the hot cookies at 3. No pass required.

• Boner City 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:09 PM, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Shawnee just reconfirmed plans to be open Sat and Sun 9-4.

Assuming they make it through Saturday still TTB, I will be there Sunday

Did you ski Shawnee yesterday and again today? Be sure to write a report!

Edited by saltyant

13 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Did you ski Shawnee yesterday and again today? Be sure to write a report!

Went Sat instead of Sun as it seemed the dry spot yesterday afternoon would be better than potentially icy conditions today. 

Skied right on to the express lift 12 runs down Pennsylvania in 90 minutes then called it a day when rain came back. Nice first day out. Smooth and carve-able with no bare spots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mostly took our gear for a walk today. Boreas Pass from the Como side. First mile we kept putting skis on then taking them off. Then we had some good snow for the next mile. Then it all turned to shit so we turned around. Carried skis most of the way down. 

took one picture

EB2B5214-1157-454F-A507-DA64FFF18A64.thumb.jpeg.43cec58b48790ddc52d25cdff5aa0667.jpeg

Edited by Barb
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Looks rad, bring a blacklight.  

5A8B6C99-86D3-4C61-8344-00C2AA20310D.jpeg

684B3A33-6E98-4073-A913-E85C779D86E0.jpeg

With two beds, that room can sleep 4 people easy. I wonder if Ski2Live will invite us on his Hunter trip if we throw in three fitty? I'll take the bed on the left and you can bring a sleeping bag.

Edited by saltyant

39 minutes ago, saltyant said:

With two beds, that room can sleep 4 people easy. I wonder if Ski2Live will invite us on his Hunter trip if we throw in three fitty? I'll take the bed on the left and you can bring a sleeping bag.

Those are big beds.  Me you and edge in one bed..I assume you have a foot fetish so you can lay in the middle head to toe so you’ll have four crusty feet in your face.  Ski2Live, Joy and the rest of the Beagles can have the other bed.  

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Those are big beds.  Me you and edge in one bed..I assume you have a foot fetish so you can lay in the middle head to toe so you’ll have four crusty feet in your face.   

The mental image of this has left me scarred, and deformed.