The 2022-23 ski season thread.

3 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

A couple of my coaster friends (a married couple) rave about this place. Every room has a different theme. I think their favorite is Gone With the Wind themed, called like Maria's Curtains or something like that

Wow reminds me of roast beef curtains or a ham wallet.   

55 minutes ago, Barb said:

Sneaky little pow day at Eldora. I had planned to go up this morning and last night’s weather said 10% chance of snow overnight. Checked webcam this morning and it was 7”!  

Never waited more than 3-5 min for the lift. Snow was A-mazing!  Legs feeling tired after 2 hours and I was by myself so didn’t feel like taking a break in the lodge alone. Saw a guy coming in hot from a side trail so I slowed down. Sure enough the had a wicked wipe out. I got his ejected ski and lone pole and brought it down to him. He was ok but it looked nasty. Great vibe on the mountain, everyone in a super good mood. 

Early season predictions said we would have a late start to winter, not so!  Have been getting lots of storms. The bullseye area always seems to be CB/Aspen (Marble!). They are expecting 20-36” by Thursday. I am doing my bump clinic in Aspen weekend of 15th so very happy they are getting hammered. 

One lonely picture, too busy skiing. 
8CC73ED3-1292-43BA-9047-5C9B51F78D5E.thumb.jpeg.54ef16ebb9bf32c8af857e4860ff900a.jpeg

Nice I’m glad CB is getting a lot of snow.  I checked out their website recently and they badly need it to get more terrain open.  When you stay at your marble place is CB still your home mountain?

• Like 1

They just opened the Paradise lift the other day. When Kebler Pass closes in winter, the drive from Marble to CB is 3.5 hours since you have to go all the way around. Aspen is 1 hr 15 from my place. I got an uphill pass and after my bump clinic I will still have 3 Aspen days left on my Ikon Pass. McClure Pass has some mellow skiing, the stuff up by the quarry is over my head I think.  It’s going to be an awesome winter!  

A5A1E3AF-933A-4BFB-8EEE-9DB8E00F6F83.thumb.png.4a46301d5ba8bee358007099608395dd.png

current Ring camera still from Marble, dumping there now. 

Edited by Barb
  • Like 7
  • Boner City 2

9 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Not as fun but you can’t rely on weekend warrior friends when you’re a retired boss.  I haven’t even had my own chairlift ride yet this season.  

I love skiing alone because others typically ski faster or slower than me. It's grate putting on some radical tunes in my ski helmet and living in my own world.

48 minutes ago, Barb said:

They just opened the Paradise lift the other day. When Kebler Pass closes in winter, the drive from Marble to CB is 3.5 hours since you have to go all the way around. Aspen is 1 hr 15 from my place. I got an uphill pass and after my bump clinic I will still have 3 Aspen days left on my Ikon Pass. McClure Pass has some mellow skiing, the stuff up by the quarry is over my head I think.  It’s going to be an awesome winter!  

A5A1E3AF-933A-4BFB-8EEE-9DB8E00F6F83.thumb.png.4a46301d5ba8bee358007099608395dd.png

current Ring camera still from Marble, dumping there now. 

I'm interested in how you make out in the bump clinic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I'm interested in how you make out in the bump clinic.

Me too. It is 4 days. I am both excited and nervous. They suggested we rent skis no longer than 152 but my friend and I are going to start on our own equipment, since that is ultimately what we will be using. If we are having a real hard time we can rent shorter skis. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Barb said:

Me too. It is 4 days. I am both excited and nervous. They suggested we rent skis no longer than 152 but my friend and I are going to start on our own equipment, since that is ultimately what we will be using. If we are having a real hard time we can rent shorter skis. 

Shorter, narrower and softer skis make it a lot easier to ski in the bumps, but learning the techniques will go a long way in being able to ski them regardless of the equipment.   The biggest hurdle is looking down the bump line instead of at the bump immediately in front of you.  Once you can get over the fear of not looking down, things start to click.

Is it one of those Bumps for Boomers clinics?  
They'll probably work on the backsides (green line) first and move up to zipper depending on the abilities.  
You also probably have the luxury of natural bumps instead of man/machine made ones like we have back here.

Have fun with it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Barb said:

Yes bumps for boomers. Don’t think I am going to progress to the zipper line. Would be happy to do the green line efficiently. 

Cool!  That it’s 4 days will help a lot as repetition is the key early on in order to get into the swing of it, then It’s a matter of keeping on doing it after the clinic is over to build up the muscle memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Might hit Hunter briefly on Sunday AM. Gonna be taking Joy to Roxbury Motel for birthday getaway. She likes to sleep in, so if I get up early I will get in 5-6 runs while she sleeps. 

How is your stay with Joy at the Roxbury Motel going? Did you book the Shagadellic Suite? It sounds like a lot of shagging goes on in that suite. It looks like a pretty pricey place, wao $207 per night. Did you use any good discounts or coupons?? Make sure to get up extra early for first chair at Hunter, they are supposed to get some perder.

Edited by saltyant
  • Thanks 1