The 2022-23 ski season thread.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Haha so why did you go so long without snowboarding?  I felt guilty skipping Tuesday-Thursday this week.  

I wrecked my tailbone around 2011-2012 in the park that took almost a year to recover from fully and then getting life together buying a house and shit just got lost but now I'm found again. 🥰

29 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Haha so why did you go so long without snowboarding?  I felt guilty skipping Tuesday-Thursday this week.  

I also became heavily invested in tournament Bass fishing after the injury which kept my mind occupied.

FB_IMG_1677352597661.jpg

FB_IMG_1677352585176.jpg

FB_IMG_1677352623280.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, DiMe said:

I wrecked my tailbone around 2011-2012 in the park that took almost a year to recover from fully and then getting life together buying a house and shit just got lost but now I'm found again. 🥰

Congrats on buying a house..and I like your new found enthusiasm in snowboarding and PASR. 

• Like 1

Just now, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Congrats on buying a house..and I like your new found enthusiasm in snowboarding and PASR. 

Appreciate it, it feels incredible to be back. I'm turning 38 now.  Landing progressive stuff in the park again takes me back 20 years.

Awesome, look forward to meeting the PASR crew again and cool to hear there are some other fish heads 🐟 🐠

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Appreciate it, it feels incredible to be back. I'm turning 38 now.  Landing progressive stuff in the park again takes me back 20 years.

Awesome, look forward to meeting the PASR crew again and cool to hear there are some other fish heads 🐟 🐠

We’re all getting older it’s crazy…sometimes I have to ask myself what’s my age again..good thing I don’t have Alexa or Blink 182 would be playing nonstop.  Anyway that trip to stowe was you, Melissa, Melissa’s gay friend and Johnny style all in my hotel room at the town and country with a Volcano and beers and I remember JStyle was just holding court and I still confuse him with Johnny law who’s name isn’t even Johnny lol. 

40 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

We’re all getting older it’s crazy…sometimes I have to ask myself what’s my age again..good thing I don’t have Alexa or Blink 182 would be playing nonstop.  Anyway that trip to stowe was you, Melissa, Melissa’s gay friend and Johnny style all in my hotel room at the town and country with a Volcano and beers and I remember JStyle was just holding court and I still confuse him with Johnny law who’s name isn’t even Johnny lol. 

Ya I remember Jstyles was a lawyer that's why I got it confused.  That was a fun trip.  Was your secret Stowe wood line the "kitchen sink" if I remember correctly?

14 minutes ago, DiMe said:

Ya I remember Jstyles was a lawyer that's why I got it confused.  That was a fun trip.  Was your secret Stowe wood line the "kitchen sink" if I remember correctly?

Oh yeah for sure I’ll find a few photos on my old Facebook page for stoke of stowe shot with a potato 

• Thanks 1

Thinking about an indy pass trip the end of the month.   Either Utah (Powder mountain, Beaver mountain, maybe pay for a day at snow basin) or Washington (White Pass, Mission Ridge, probably pay for a day somewhere else).  

Any of you guys ski Washington before?  @Johnny Law?

Utah might be the easiest choice because its probably less driving once I get there but not really sure.  Flights are about the same price to both destinations 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSUFly said:

Thinking about an indy pass trip the end of the month.   Either Utah (Powder mountain, Beaver mountain, maybe pay for a day at snow basin) or Washington (White Pass, Mission Ridge, probably pay for a day somewhere else).  

Any of you guys ski Washington before?  @Johnny Law?

Utah might be the easiest choice because its probably less driving once I get there but not really sure.  Flights are about the same price to both destinations 

I've skied both as have some others.  

If it was me it would come down to a couple of factors.  How much driving you want to do ? What I'll call the party rocking factor and the big dog weather. 

UT is probably much faster to get around and to and from the airport. There is an early morning direct on Delta from phl that pretty much someone from my family  takes every couple days. It almost always goes and you can be skiing by 1130 noon same day.  BCC and LCC have been a complete cluster fuck though it sounds like your not looking there.  Washington isn't that much harder as Seattle is convenient and generally out of the winter weather but the hills are spread out more and some are a bit of work to get to,  like Baker. 

The big factor I would say is weather.  UT probably has the best odds for big ass pow days in the lower 48 if you're just like showing up.  It snows alot and potentially huge amount particularly this season. The PNW on the other hand can be just as good but generally has more fickle weather with alot more rain as the hills are also alot lower. Also it's way way way heavier snow though at least personally I do like the cement it's not the 3% diamond dust in UT.

The PNW definitely kills on the culture/party rocking factor. UT is alot better than 20 years ago and you can get fancy wasted at the vintage room and what not but it's either going to pricy or not as good.  Any random brewery will also be alot better than whatever they are calling the new Squatters but UT does have good beer.  

The terrain is very different, the trees and general way they look too. UT is very pretty in spots and also very ugly. PNW looks like Jurassic Park during winter and is insanely green.  Volcanos are fucking dope but so are bristle cone pines. 

I don't think there is a right answer but I would also think about adding a day at the big dog hills in either area. Pow Mow can be the best pow day you've ever had but it's not Alta or the Bird even remotely. Mission Ridge in Was I heard has been running like Steven's Pass last year and just the drive to Baker is a great adventure. 

UT has better hotels in better areas if your not spending any real effort in looking.  You can just roll into Ogden or something and the Best Western will be decent whereas parts of Washington they are closer to the population centers.  Also and I'm probably not objective but UT has better Mexican food as they have alot more Mexicans. Red 1 preferably, Red 2 is pretty much the same but never Blue when in SLC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Johnny Law, thanks for the info!  Sounds like Utah is probably the best option.   Washington sounds awesome but the things I was worried about was the snow quality and the driving.   Not that I mind a lot of driving but in shitty weather, it's not enjoyable.  I'm not set on doing beaver mountain as it's kinda out of the way unless it looks really good.  I'll check out the other mountains too

• Like 1

Not sure this is the exact right spot for this but here it goes. Just an FYI to you indy pass people, it seems like if you use it at Montage this weekend you also get access to concerts to see Everclear, Lit, and Fuel. 

Screenshot_20230302-093858.png

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

Not sure this is the exact right spot for this but here it goes. Just an FYI to you indy pass people, it seems like if you use it at Montage this weekend you also get access to concerts to see Everclear, Lit, and Fuel. 

Screenshot_20230302-093858.png

Would the Indy Pass also give you access to concerts to see The Beagles? Asking for a friend @Ski2Live Live2Ski