The 2022-23 ski season thread.

17 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Why u mad bro? I thought you're a fan of John Denver. This day will be a day for kindness.

You’ve been doing a lot of trolling…I don’t want to have to put you on ignore but your posts have been fucking retarded lately and that’s coming from me.   Tone it down if you want to get back on PARidge, Root, Toastman, Kyle, Dime and JFDans good graces.  

thank you

have a fun night

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Why u mad bro? I thought you're a fan of John Denver. This day will be a day for kindness.

Oh my goodness it's so old already. Stop. I think atomicskier should ban you forever if you ever type in the words bunk beds or day of kindness, or anything else @GrilledSteezeSandwich made popular that you've since made unfunny. Frankly I'm not sure how you got by trolling the epic JH thread with dumb jokes. 

• Boner City 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

You’ve been doing a lot of trolling…I don’t want to have to put you on ignore but your posts have been fucking retarded lately and that’s coming from me.   Tone it down if you want to get back on PARidge, Root, Toastman, Kyle, Dime and JFDans good graces.  

thank you

have a fun night

I appreciate a good troll in moderation. The latter half of that seems to be lost on salty most days. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Weather is looking promising for Utah next week.   Doing Brighton Tuesday, forecast is 6 to 10" through Monday evening.   Deciding on snowbird or snow basin for Friday

Brighton might be my favorite place.  if its not, its right up there.  I would love to get back to snowbird, and for that matter snowbasin too.  if for nothing else than to go to the bathroom there.  

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

Brighton might be my favorite place.  if its not, its right up there.  I would love to get back to snowbird, and for that matter snowbasin too.  if for nothing else than to go to the bathroom there.  

Yeah I was reading some old trip reports and seems like Brighton is a cool place, and I'm thinking probably less crowded than Snowbird on a powder day 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PSUFly said:

Yeah I was reading some old trip reports and seems like Brighton is a cool place, and I'm thinking probably less crowded than Snowbird on a powder day 

Anymore, i think all of the Cottonwoods resorts are a little more crowded these days on snow days.  If i were going to Alta/Bird Brighton/sol on a pow day, i would be up at the ass crack of dawn and up the canyon by 7 am or so.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

Brighton is a gem. Way more fun than it really should be based on the size. I do love it there and it has such a good vibe too.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Skiing into a backcountry hut in the San Juan’s Sunday. We specifically picked the last week of March because we thought the snowpack would be settled down. 

0052C34C-BC48-496B-83B8-0FF8D37067A6.thumb.png.16308acfd5b0cd5c983c46d688eb4d1c.png

currently 5/5 extreme. Really hope it calms down in the next few days. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Barb said:

Skiing into a backcountry hut in the San Juan’s Sunday. We specifically picked the last week of March because we thought the snowpack would be settled down. 

0052C34C-BC48-496B-83B8-0FF8D37067A6.thumb.png.16308acfd5b0cd5c983c46d688eb4d1c.png

currently 5/5 extreme. Really hope it calms down in the next few days. 

Might as well add some alligators and grizzly bears to that..sheesh.   When I was in the San juans, I spent the majority of the time in Lake City..you wouldn’t believe it, there are a lot of Texans there.  

800”…at Mammoth..they got plastered with like 13 pineapple expresses…staying open until July…at least…it would be cool to ski on my birthday at a non indoor place and without traveling to Continent.  It’s on my radar.  There’s even a small airport near mammoth which is one of the most remote airports this side of Kathmandu Nepal..crazy. 

https://snowbrains.com/mammoth-mountain-ca-summit-passes-800-snowfall-for-the-season/

• Like 4

Just got back from the morning at Eldora. Blue skies, the usual Eldora wind and light crowds. First we did a warm up run then both decided we wanted to practice in the trees. The snow was great on the tree run. After 2 tree runs we wanted to switch to bumps. The access trail to the bumps was so windy. You could see all the snow blowing away. And as @JFskiDan would say, it was slick. Not too fun. 

So we went back in the trees. We ended up doing 6 or 7 runs in Jolly Jug Glades for the day. Last run I was feeling pretty good. Then some dick snowboarder decided he was going to come up right on me, take my line and zoom past. I didn’t even hear him. He didn’t make contact w me but I was so freaked out I almost fell. And…the confidence was sucked right out of me. Told my friend that was my last run and she agreed her legs were getting tired too. 

Got in some good practice for the San Juan’s. Gonna drive to Marble to break up the drive tomorrow and spend the night. Then onto the top of the Pass from Ouray and ski into the hut Sunday. We have a guide set up for Monday then skiing Tue solo, drive back Wednesday. The avalanche danger is settling somewhat but glad we have a guide for a day. I packed super light and was able to fit everything into my 30L touring pack. The hut provides bedding and cooks your meals so that helps a lot. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1