Jump to content

The 2022-23 ski season thread.


Recommended Posts

so Jay Peak was sold at auction today.  

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/09/08/jay-peak-sold-76-million/?fbclid=IwAR1FDvv7OafTEK8wPFwpAwE5zyO-WnJDRJ8jp12rKYTx7F9zMNCV1bZoXa8

Doesnt really mean much to me, except i find it interesting Vail wasnt one of the bidders.  

Does Vail feel like they have the area covered, or are they feeling the pinch on their debt?  Dont want a 4 season resort?

Sold for 76 million, when they spent 264 million on peak resorts, but i dont know how Mt snow or hunter compares to Jay.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

@saltyantare you allowed to fly when it’s dark out?  You’ll have to leave early to make it up to Vermont for first tracks. 

No, only @AtomicSkier is. Regardless, neither of us can fit skis in the current planes we rent and it's probably not cheap to rent a car and skis for the day just to ski Vermont.

Edited by saltyant
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

so Jay Peak was sold at auction today.  

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/09/08/jay-peak-sold-76-million/?fbclid=IwAR1FDvv7OafTEK8wPFwpAwE5zyO-WnJDRJ8jp12rKYTx7F9zMNCV1bZoXa8

Doesnt really mean much to me, except i find it interesting Vail wasnt one of the bidders.  

Does Vail feel like they have the area covered, or are they feeling the pinch on their debt?  Dont want a 4 season resort?

Sold for 76 million, when they spent 264 million on peak resorts, but i dont know how Mt snow or hunter compares to Jay.  

If I were a potential bidder, the last couple years of uncertainty regarding traveling across the US/Canada border would make me nervous about buying Jay.  Gotta figure that a good portion of their visits come from Canada.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Jay Peak a

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

No, only @AtomicSkier is. Regardless, neither of us can fit skis in the current planes we rent and it's probably not cheap to rent a car and skis for the day just to ski Vermont.

My uncle used to do day trips to Mount Snow in his plane but it was like the family station wagons of planes..I believe it was a six seater.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NMSKI said:

If I were a potential bidder, the last couple years of uncertainty regarding traveling across the US/Canada border would make me nervous about buying Jay.  Gotta figure that a good portion of their visits come from Canada.  

When I was in college they accepted Canadian money at par and at the time the US/Canada exchange rate was like $1 US to $1.50 Canadian at the time.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

so Jay Peak was sold at auction today.  

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/09/08/jay-peak-sold-76-million/?fbclid=IwAR1FDvv7OafTEK8wPFwpAwE5zyO-WnJDRJ8jp12rKYTx7F9zMNCV1bZoXa8

Doesnt really mean much to me, except i find it interesting Vail wasnt one of the bidders.  

Does Vail feel like they have the area covered, or are they feeling the pinch on their debt?  Dont want a 4 season resort?

Sold for 76 million, when they spent 264 million on peak resorts, but i dont know how Mt snow or hunter compares to Jay.  

Hunter mountain does way more skier visits and has way more infrastructure than Jay Peak. I think part of the reason it sold so cheap was the previous owners had all types of legal issues.  Some of it was from securing VISAs for wealthy foreigners who wanted to become US citizens 

 

Here’s an article on the subject. 
 

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/in-depth/news/local/vermont/2020/12/14/how-jay-peak-vermont-fraud-became-example-greed-flawed-oversight/6177757002/

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I know Jay Peak a

My uncle used to do day trips to Mount Snow in his plane but it was like the family station wagons of planes..I believe it was a six seater.  

There's an airport right by Mount Snow. Maybe I can find an Uber and rent a cheap pair of skis and fly there for a day session. That would be rad!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, saltyant said:

There's an airport right by Mount Snow. Maybe I can find an Uber and rent a cheap pair of skis and fly there for a day session. That would be rad!

I believe it is now closed or private and owned by the Hermitage Club.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

This could be interesting for a pair that would entertain multiple trips in the first couple months of 2023. Free 2 month companion pass on Southwest for flying one round trip this year. Have to register by today though. 

 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/3-month-companion-pass-promotion/amp/

 

 

That’s a really good deal.  I’ve seen the points guy site before and it’s legit. A lot of the travel vloggers on YouTube refer to it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do any people still get paper copies of ski and skiing magazine?  By now I’d be waiting for the October travel issue which hit news stands and the mailbox  by mid September.  The August ski equipment guide was kind of meh but a thick copy due to all the ads and powder magazine sometimes had a free poster.  Snow country magazine was a good one but more family oriented it definitely has ads for the brand new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition and the first generation Subaru Legacy Outback. You can find me in the 90s eating fun dip and watching the fresh prince of bel air..but back to 2022-23

 

Definitely Jackson hole and I want to go back to Stowe on a weekday trip. One of my friends was just in Burlington and Stowe and I recommended Trattoria Delia.  You can ask @Johnny Lawabout that place he’ll give it to you straight,”Trattoria Delia in Burlington what OMG with Matt edge interrupting..take your girl there and she’ll definitely do something that rhymes with Blue knob”….anyway it’s a great Italian restaurant that’s been there since I was a freshman in college..so stay and ski Stowe and I guess after last day skiing Stowe drive into Burlington get a room in the Hilton on the lake where @PSUFlyguy stayed eat and drink my way around staying between heavy buzz and getting cited by a cop on a mountain bike for public intoxication…

 

its almost ski season woo woo woo who let the dogs out Root Root Root who let the dogs out @skiincydont worry @Mixilplixwill watch PASR mascot Wally get it that vert lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

This could be interesting for a pair that would entertain multiple trips in the first couple months of 2023. Free 2 month companion pass on Southwest for flying one round trip this year. Have to register by today though. 

 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/3-month-companion-pass-promotion/amp/

 

 

Hmm...This could very well work out. Thanks man. Gonna look into this.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Hmm...This could very well work out. Thanks man. Gonna look into this.

Definitely have to hurry. Need to register and book the qualifying ticket tonight. I considered a turn and burn to ATL for $79 each way. Not sure it would be worth it though, Pops and I will likely only make the one trip in the companion pass period. It would save money for sure, but not really enough to make it worth the hassle. If there was a decent chance of using it twice, I’d do it for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Definitely have to hurry. Need to register and book the qualifying ticket tonight. I considered a turn and burn to ATL for $79 each way. Not sure it would be worth it though, Pops and I will likely only make the one trip in the companion pass period. It would save money for sure, but not really enough to make it worth the hassle. If there was a decent chance of using it twice, I’d do it for sure

If you go to Atlanta at least hit up the Coca Cola factory and eat at the varsity which is like their yoccos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, enjoralas said:

Definitely have to hurry. Need to register and book the qualifying ticket tonight. I considered a turn and burn to ATL for $79 each way. Not sure it would be worth it though, Pops and I will likely only make the one trip in the companion pass period. It would save money for sure, but not really enough to make it worth the hassle. If there was a decent chance of using it twice, I’d do it for sure

I just read the article and saw that. I misread your post. I thought it was book by 11-17. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RidgeRacer said:

I just read the article and saw that. I misread your post. I thought it was book by 11-17. 

No, fly by then. Considering buying the ATL flight anyway. It’s Southwest so if I decide it’s not worth the effort I can cancel and get credit to fly to DEN in the winter anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, saltyant said:

I can fit a ski in the toy plane if i can fold it into about 2 feet

Do you have to land the toy plane at an airport or can you land it in the lower lot at Blue?  I’ll have root and Skifreak direct traffic for your landing and atomic Jeff will let you ski on his Kastles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

No, fly by then. Considering buying the ATL flight anyway. It’s Southwest so if I decide it’s not worth the effort I can cancel and get credit to fly to DEN in the winter anyway

The Philly to Denver southwest flight is nice and the first one of the day almost always takes off on time and if it doesn’t you don’t have any connection anyway.  So let me get this straight, you buy a $79 ATL flight for the fall and then it’s buy one get one free round trip and companion only pays taxes anytime you fly during that winter time period and to anywhere southwest goes.  The only reason I’m not hoping on it is I don’t have a companion. Maybe by Valentine’s Day or go back on plentyofKoiFish.com or the roller coaster forums. 

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The Philly to Denver southwest flight is nice and the first one of the day almost always takes off on time and if it doesn’t you don’t have any connection anyway.  So let me get this straight, you buy a $79 ATL flight for the fall and then it’s buy one get one free round trip and companion only pays taxes anytime you fly during that winter time period and to anywhere southwest goes.  The only reason I’m not hoping on it is I don’t have a companion. Maybe by Valentine’s Day or go back on plentyofKoiFish.com or the roller coaster forums. 

Well, 2 $79 flights. Down and back. But yeah, that’s the deal. I’m not gonna do it though. The gotcha for me is that you have to wait until you have your companion pass on Jan 4 to book the companion fares. My luck, I would buy my fare to Denver now and then the plane would fill up, so wouldn’t be able to book Pops or should have to switch flights, and by then the prices may have gone up so much it wipes out the savings. 
 

2 or more flights I thought I would make, no brainer. To try to save $240 on one trip, not worth the risk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...