Arizona Snow Bowl 11/28/22

AirheadD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTB96iyLrLM&ab_channel=Sbob

Arizona snowbowl 11 28,22 

I had a thanksgiving visit planned to see my son and family in Az . They were going to be spending time in Flagstaff, so……..why not ski! 

I had been in touch with Raisingarizona13 from New York ski blog, I was looking for some mountain information as he’s local for 20yrs . He decided to come and ski with me, I was thrilled as I subscribe to his YouTube channel, and know he’s got top notch skills 

https://m.youtube.com/@raisingarizona13 

he turned out to be a really awesome guy and fantastic skier, along with being a great tour guide. 

So many things could have gone wrong with my trip . I’m dealing with some chronic back issues and wasn’t sure how the ski season is going to unfold. Got to Flagstaff late Saturday ,Took a trip to the South rim of the Grand Canyon on Sunday .Monday I had planned on skiing Arizona snowbowl “for a few hours 🙃” but the wind forecast was very concerning as to being gusts of 60 miles an hour plus for Monday.

The winds were ripping pretty good at our hotel Sunday night. Monday turned out to be a little less windy than I expected but figured the mountain would be blowing pretty hard. RA said probably by mid morning things would be on wind hold . When I got to the parking lot at 9 am things were actually relatively calm . Putting on my ski pants before I even made it to the ticket window I had a back spasm and was feeling pretty down. I walked around a little bit and it subsided. Got my ticket and rentals and took a warm-up lap to get used to the unfamiliar equipment. I met up with Raisingarizona13 and it was off to the races he’s a fantastic skier and loves to smoke the groomers we had a great time. I don’t recall how many TTB  laps we did before we decided to have beers at the gondola base. It was sunny and calm. After a beer we were back at it again the sun softened up the snow a bit on the steep spots that had been a bit spicy . Before I knew it it was 2 o’clock ,so much for a few hours. My back was feeling great as I headed back to the base lodge. 

2022/3 Day one , Best season start for me ever! 

The mountain is just shy of 2000 vertical feet. It has really good sustained pitch . They don’t groom a lot of trails, there’s a number of glades that look interesting. The views are spectacular and almost worth the price of a lift ticket. I’d love to return, and take advantage of all the potential. 

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• AirheadD8 changed the title to Arizona Snow Bowl 11/28/22
4 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Hell yeah. Nice video. how do I read the TR?

Side note...Vert is 2200 lift served. 2800 with the bowl open.

I copied from my notes ap and the font color I couldn't change . Dark mode it's tough but light mode it shows up .

I didn't check the stats ,just went with Ra's numbers . He said he's skied from the summit to a side road for 5K vert  .  The last lift pole on the Chondola is pretty crazy high they should have a circus net . 

45 minutes ago, momskeeztoo said:

I really want to get to the Az Snowbowl. Be cool to ski there a couple days. Rent a car, drive to Phoenix, then fly to Utah for more skiing. 😎

Raisingarizona13 told me there are a lot of trails they don't groom at all , if you like bumps and glades you'll love it . I really want to get back there when the whole mountains open . If you hike there's a ton of terrain to explore . 

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

Raisingarizona13 told me there are a lot of trails they don't groom at all , if you like bumps and glades you'll love it . I really want to get back there when the whole mountains open . If you hike there's a ton of terrain to explore . 

I was shocked with the amount of trees and ungroomed terrain I found. There's a run that's not on the map which runs under the gondola if I recall that was so much fun. They just got 7 inches or so with another foot forecasted for the new few days.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

13 Inches Overnight, Up to 41 More Inches Forecasted This Week
Gear up for a deep week out on the slopes! We received 13" of new snow overnight and OpenSnow is forecasting up to 41 more inches throughout the next 10 days!

Please note that chains/4WD may be required after significant snowfall, and we recommend being prepared for winter driving conditions and potential delays. For mountain updates, please follow @AZSBUpdates on Twitter.
  • Boner City 1

8 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

13 Inches Overnight, Up to 41 More Inches Forecasted This Week
Gear up for a deep week out on the slopes! We received 13" of new snow overnight and OpenSnow is forecasting up to 41 more inches throughout the next 10 days!

Please note that chains/4WD may be required after significant snowfall, and we recommend being prepared for winter driving conditions and potential delays. For mountain updates, please follow @AZSBUpdates on Twitter.

Sweet that should get most of the terrain open for your visit.  

• Like 1