AZ snowbowl January 23

RidgeRacer

4 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

3 inches fell on the mountain last night. They opened the hike to bowl access at some point yesterday. Considering it for today if there are folks I can tag along with. Planning on getting to the mountain early to beat the crowds and maximize my time. Snows done and the suns coming so it should be a beautiful day.

Have a blast!!!

3 hours ago, RidgeRacer said:

Back home now. still on a ski high from yesterday. Overall great trip. Snowbowl, Flagstaff, San Francisco peaks, northern Arizona period is a special place. Hope more PASRs visit. Tha ks for reading.

As always, thanks for sharing!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Airhead are you heading back out there?  

Unfortunately not till March or April. I was out last spring but conditions weren’t too good when I was out so I didn’t ski. 

Another AZ ski area getting the goods. It’s near Tucson of all places lol

https://www.skithelemmon.com/

16 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Unfortunately not till March or April. I was out last spring but conditions weren’t too good when I was out so I didn’t ski. 

Another AZ ski area getting the goods. It’s near Tucson of all places lol

https://www.skithelemmon.com/

I’m familiar, southernmost ski area in the continental US.  In Mexico there’s a few ski resorts. 

20 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

Airheads a snowbowl fanboi like me now.  Gonna try for March. Maybe after blue closes. Not 100% yet

Oh yeah!!!!!! 
My son’s looking at Kutztown but maybe I can steer him towards Az lol . 

Maybe you can hook up with Rasingarizona13 he’s an awesome tour guide!  He’s posting some other worldly pictures on NYSB

https://nyskiblog.com/forum/threads/flagstaff-conditions.1172/page-13#post-50406

4 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I’m familiar, southernmost ski area in the continental US.  In Mexico there’s a few ski resorts. 

I'd be more interested in star gazing at Mt lemon than actually skiing there (I think there's an observatory up there). It's 700 vert or something like that. Sunrise on the other hand I'm intrigued by but I don't see myself passing up a day at Snowbowl for it unless I lived there and wanted to try something different.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

I'd be more interested in star gazing at Mt lemon than actually skiing there (I think there's an observatory up there). It's 700 vert or something like that. Sunrise on the other hand I'm intrigued by but I don't see myself passing up a day at Snowbowl for it unless I lived there and wanted to try something different.

No contest Snowbowl Mt Lemmon has a crazy ecosystem. Saguaros at the base of the mountain 2600’  Pines up top. 

The drive is fairly long almost an hour eventually pines up top and 180” average snowfall. Not much vertical but descent pitch in places. More a novelty to ski . There were some patches of snow around last April. Tucson was 95° and the top of the ski valley was 50°

I liked hiking the granite moguls. 

D74AB40F-051E-4FA0-8FD6-D7D89A3706BD.jpeg

88E1217B-2FEF-4A59-9DAA-66B07A299C4B.jpeg

3D6F79F7-E860-449B-8D41-B155FBEF699B.jpeg

Edited by AirheadD8
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, mute1080 said:

Supply and demand lol. 

1 hour ago, mute1080 said:

1 hour ago, mute1080 said:

I am always thinking at some point the bottom has to drop out.  I'm not talking just about skiing but the general idea that there are no limits to making the absolute most money possible but at least so far we all just keep dancing faster and faster. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

I am always thinking at some point the bottom has to drop out.  I'm not talking just about skiing but the general idea that there are no limits to making the absolute most money possible but at least so far we all just keep dancing faster and faster. 

Someone said "Greed is good".....People will bitch and cry .....but they always pay....

54 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Well look at what people paid to see the World Series.  My friend was thrilled to luck out into seats up by the liberty bell for about tree fiddy each and went to all three home games.  Same girl spent $800 for floor seats at Taylor swift and her friends will prob pay more I guess that’s like heli skiing to Swifties. 

I joke about leaving money on the table but I’ve never been greedy…people pay for convenience.  The Arizona snowbowl pricing was an anomaly but the $130 Blue tickets on MLK weekend suddenly dropped to $98 last weekend and $98 this weekend.  I like following it from the sidelines.  

People like deals…before I was a season pass holder at Blue, they had spring fling tickets where if you purchased a lift ticket mid season you were given a paper coupon good for half off after march 1st.  Then you go march 1st and pay half price which was like $14 instead of $28 and they gave you another spring fling coupon. That’s how Blue stayed open until April 10th back then…they didn’t mess around and the old Blue would even blow snow on closing day…and now I kind of hate fresh man made at least when it’s 31 degrees out with 70% humidity when it’s 12 degrees out it doesn’t even stick to goggles. It’s like pixie dust. Woo woo woo

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

The dancing will only slow down and stop when there's some pressure against it. The insanity that is ski ticket prices and the Taylor Swift thing just shows that there's such a gigantic middle/upper middle class in this country with disposable income and all of those people are more interested in being entertained than they are putting that money in the bank. 

If people weren't paying these prices then they would drop back down, but they are so they won't.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...