Jackson hole 2023…

53 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The walk to and from the bagel place wasn’t bad. 

You'll be sweating in no time!

53 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It could be around zero Saturday AM at blue, that will feel colder. 

Definitely, it's a moist cold!

There was a big guy skiing in shorts this past Sunday.

January 30…day 6 of 7

Hey All,

I’m back from another fun day of skiing at Jackson hole mountain resort.  Me, NMSki and Atomic Jeff left the 49er at 755am and NMSki dropped off his luggage at the Cloudveil where NazarethSkier Jay was staying.  Got to the mountain around 830ish and it was a ghost town.  It was -29 in the village lot and I put my boots on as fast as BenM. On the way to the lift I stopped into the ski shop and bought a balaclava for myself and bought Atomic Jeff one as well $82 for both including tax, better than getting frost bite.  

Got in the gondola line around 850am and just a handful of people.  My vape was frozen and I finally got it working on the lift and a guy asked me if it was weed and I said yup you won’t some and he told me not to vape in the gondola so I didn’t.  Took a couple rip van winkles at the top when Jaybird was snapping pictures.  Down Amphitheater to thunder and it was that 80mph cord JH is famous for…it was so good and so empty and a pleasant change of pace after two giant pow days and a lot of chowder yesterday.  

Up Thunder and did a repeat of Amphitheater and was so good and empty that we did a third run on that before taking a beautiful Grand to Sublette.  Up Sublette and Bivoac was groomed and it was the most please soft packed powder imaginable.  Then skied down R trail to south pass traverse to Thunder.  Up Thunder and this was NMSki and NazarethJay last run as they were going to take an Uber back to town around 1030.  

We went down Laramie which was so good.  I was going maybe 40-50mph on the right side and NMSki game flying down the left side easily exceeding 60mph woooo.  We exchanged goodbyes and then just me and Atomic Jeff.  Up Sublette again and another Bivoac run over to Thunder.  Up Thunder and skied upper amphitheater to Nez Perce traverse to Casper area.  Up Casper lift and skied under the Casper left then left over to lower Kemmerer which was ungroomed and up the Teton chair.  

At the top skied a beautiful Crags run on two other people on the run I skied past onto the right side of the Apres Vous terrain to the AV lift.  Up AV and a screamer on the right side again right to the base.  Ended up with 11 runs and just shy of 20,000 vertical feet in two hours.  You really rack up the runs with all but one lift being high speed combined with about 1/8 of the normal amount of people.  It was so empty that our last of 5 times up Thunder, there weren’t any people in the liftline, not even anybody waiting for their friends like zero people crazy.  

Today was the best bluebird groomer day I’ve ever had at Jackson hole…mainly due to excellent snow and no people.  My toes were a little frozen as well as my nose…it was super tough getting my ski boots off.  We then went to the Mangy moose and shared nachos with beef and a pitcher of Wilson IPA, $56…we each left $40 and peaced out and now back in town relaxing.  I didn’t take many pictures due to the cold but will post what I have.  Now it’s about -10 in town. Tomorrow should be slightly warmer.  

860A290F-F99B-43F3-B55C-4F21CF851B58.jpeg

BA135E74-8A87-4AB0-B239-2DE12A03C35E.jpeg

80815FDF-5914-4B37-BC40-722E4ADD3359.jpeg

5BC6E3E6-66A4-40A4-8EFA-4737F8D8BCB6.jpeg

7BBF2AB3-6A24-413A-8E2D-D8DF68E3543B.jpeg

6E64C9F6-7E9A-4627-9421-781ECD195BA8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Boner City 1

For those interested in reading more about the big storm that just dumped on Jackson hole.  Those throwing around that this was all time don’t have short memories.  This was the largest 48 hour total since 1974-75

https://www.jacksonhole.com/blog/50-in-50-hours

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

For those interested in reading more about the big storm that just dumped on Jackson hole.  Those throwing around that this was all time don’t have short memories.  This was the largest 48 hour total since 1974-75

https://www.jacksonhole.com/blog/50-in-50-hours

all time for sure.  glad @NMSKI@mute1080and @NazarethSkier got to experience the magic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Remember kids,”If you don’t know don’t go”

Late in the day, no idea where they’re going, no Avy gear..they’re lucky that they’re alive   

https://buckrail.com/tcsar-performs-midnight-rescue-for-lost-skiers/?fbclid=IwAR3tqkRsFqphFhJsonyGlZWMebv8koBmWkmtj7qw2RLYJd2DphQDq-olOO4

4 minutes ago, indiggio said:

I'll take that over the shitty weather back here!

I heard yesterday it was the warmest and snowless January on record for the Lehigh Valley.

I believe it, of course it’s gonna be in the single digits at Blue Saturday morning but I’m thankful for maybe two days of round the clock snowmaking to get us through next weeks warm spell.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I might have to wear three pairs of socks today.  Temp has already risen to -20

Yeah but it’s fun skiing on squeaky snow.

Had some Dale boots years ago that didn’t like cold cold weather. After a-10 weekend at Smuggs all of my plastic boot buckles cracked. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Yeah but it’s fun skiing on squeaky snow.

Had some Dale boots years ago that didn’t like cold cold weather. After a-10 weekend at Smuggs all of my plastic boot buckles cracked. 

When it’s steep squeaky snow is fine.  Not normally cause it’s slow snow.  Airhead how’s your back doing?  Hopefully you hop on another blue pass in a few weeks when they announce early bird pricing. 

50 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

When it’s steep squeaky snow is fine.  Not normally cause it’s slow snow.  Airhead how’s your back doing?  Hopefully you hop on another blue pass in a few weeks when they announce early bird pricing. 

Back is decent shape so far when I’m skiing but I haven’t skied anything very challenging this year. Ironically if I stand in one spot for 5 minutes my feet start tingling. 

I’ll see about the pass my Az trips blew up my fun budget.