Jackson hole 2023…

January 31st..day 7 of 7

Hey all,

I’m back from my final ski day of this trip.  Today was very cold to start and we didn’t even leave for the mountain until 815am.  Temperature was a balmy -23.  Arrived at the hill around 835am, sat in the car a few because we didn’t want to stand around waiting for the gondola to open, booted up and loaded the gondola at 859.  

First run on amphitheater was more of that 80 mph cord..it was nice.  Up thunder and repeated ampy again and then one more time before taking Grand to south pass traverse back to thunder followed by Grand to Sublette chair.  Grand on the left side was so good.   It was also super super empty..like one out of every ten chairs with people for the first hour.  In the first hour we didn’t the gondola, five thunder laps and one Sublette lap and skied Rendezvous trail one time. R-trail was decent but more traffic than the other runs so a bit more skied off.  

We then did four more Laps off of Thunder, mostly skied Grand to south pass traverse and then on the last run continued on lower Tram line which was more chalky than cord and as we descended back to the village it was like skiing into a ice box as it was still in the teens below zero at the base.  Debooted and had lunch at the Four Season. 

This turned into maybe my best trip here.  First two days had shallow powder and low crowds…next two days deep deep powder and crowded..fifth day was leftover powder and moderate crowds and the last two days were empty groomer days.  

Thanks everybody for reading along.  Mute had a blast here and NMSki did as well and I’m glad Nazareth Jay came along for comic relief…also glad Jay was able to find his lotion..

JADIP

243293A9-BB69-4BF8-8B20-258BAB7F610F.jpeg

08D5690C-493D-4D6C-AD47-4A7734C79A3C.jpeg

04EC28DC-5ECF-4F6E-A81D-DDA504FB0D2D.jpeg

E3230140-487D-4521-B7B8-04F3F255D333.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Boner City 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, antman12 said:

I skimmed through most of the TRs so maybe I missed it but it seems like you guys rarely ride the tram. Any reason why? Is that the touristy thing to do? Lol. 

Anyways thanks for the TRs and pics. 

The best terrain on the mountain is off of Thunder and Sublette.  I don't find the tram particularly comfortable jammed butts to nuts in with 100 people.  Rbowl on a pow day is some of the worst conditions between total white out, and tracked out.  Rode it once this trip just because Thunder was down for a mechanical issue and wanted to get up to Sublette.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I have a wealthy twin brother out in Jackson Hole, he'll hook you up with fine dining if your card gets declined.

If card gets declined I’ll use company card and if company card gets declined I’ll go to the ATM machine and if ATM card gets declined I’ll be washing dishes.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

It was only like half that 

Thanks for the update and fantastic report. 10/10. Can't wait to hear all about your trip this weekend at Blue the True. Hope Atomic Jeff isn't still salty by then.

Edited by saltyant
  • Boner City 1

14 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks for the update and fantastic report. 10/10. Can't wait to hear all about your trip this weekend at Blue the True. Hope Atomic Jeff isn't still salty by then.

I’ll be at blue Saturday AM, if you come early you can watch me, BenM and PARidge boot up. 

• Boner City 1

17 minutes ago, indiggio said:

That's cool because a lot of people out there work 3 jobs.

Did you share the Bison Cowboy?

10/10!

No but I let atomic Jeff try it.  Best tip was the redhead waitress at the Mangy moose.  She got a $94 tip on a $206 tab.  Just felt like making her day better.  She even was telling her co worker about it and came back and thanked me. Last day at the Mangy moose was only $56 and we left $80 total.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

No but I let atomic Jeff try it.  Best tip was the redhead waitress at the Mangy moose.  She got a $94 tip on a $206 tab.  Just felt like making her day better.  She even was telling her co worker about it and came back and thanked me. Last day at the Mangy moose was only $56 and we left $80 total.  

When we were out there, Slim got a kick out of asking all the waiters/waitresses how many jobs they were working in order to live out there.

20 minutes ago, indiggio said:

When we were out there, Slim got a kick out of asking all the waiters/waitresses how many jobs they were working in order to live out there.

The amount of people driving into Jackson every morning at 8am with Idaho plates is astounding.  A lot of the locals who moved here to be skibums don’t even ski that much.  

13 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The amount of people driving into Jackson every morning at 8am with Idaho plates is astounding.  A lot of the locals who moved here to be skibums don’t even ski that much.  

Yeah, we noticed that too, especially when we went over to Targhee.

They don't have time to ski, they're too busy working 3 jobs to afford living out there in their cars.

1 minute ago, indiggio said:

Yeah, we noticed that too, especially when we went over to Targhee.

They don't have time to ski, they're too busy working 3 jobs to afford living out there in their cars.

Truth…years ago there was an abundance of “skids” here and they’ve mostly been priced out.  Even DJango from Teton gravity who might look like a skid on the surface is dropping $1650 for an early bird season pass and another $700 for a Ranch lot parking pass.  True skids would take the bus or park down in Stilson.