January 29th...gonna be busy

RidgeRacer

37 minutes ago, RidgeRacer said:

This is spot on accurate. He was so sly about it too. It was 8:45ish... I saw it and just kinda thought why's BenM wearing a fanny pack filled with aluminum foil? Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine what would come next. Johnny Law took it one further, said and I quote "yo dude...what do you got there?" ....Then came BenM's epic and unforgettable response. A response that that'll be etched into my memory banks as long as I live and breathe... "anyone wanna hotdog?"...as he held his foil wrapped trophy high in the air, grinning from ear to ear.  Frankly...It was an honor and a privilege to be apart of it.

This is being added to the PASR hall of fame.  Don’t worry Enjorales gets an entire room 

• Thanks 1

Just came back from a night session with Becky. It was a balmy 42 when we pulled into the lower lot around 545, which was surprisingly full. 
We stuck with the quad for tonight and on our first ride up homestretch looked like a sea of waves… not bumps, but perfectly parallel waves. It was like wet sand, but honestly it wasn’t awful. Lower paradise had spots down to dirt and glacier but the piles between it were honestly fun. Crazy mile was just that… wild with groups of 15-20 boarders at a clip. Had to pull over a few times to make sure the little wouldn’t be a hit and run. Only annoying part was the perpetual black hole on lazy, perhaps they can borrow a colored light from tubing since they can’t seem to be bothered to replace the bulb that’s been out since the start of the season.

Playing in the push piles is typical Sunday night skiing (especially this year), overall fun night. 

Edited by Boo Bear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Boo Bear said:

Just came back from a night session with Becky. It was a balmy 42 when we pulled into the lower lot around 545, which was surprisingly full. 
We stuck with the quad for tonight and on our first ride up homestretch looked like a sea of waves… not bumps, but perfectly parallel waves. It was like wet sand, but honestly it wasn’t awful. Lower paradise had spots down to dirt and glacier but the piles between it were honestly fun. Crazy mile was just that… wild with groups of 15-20 boarders at a clip. Had to pull over a few times to make sure the little wouldn’t be a hit and run. Only annoying part was the perpetual black hole on lazy, perhaps they can borrow a colored light from tubing since they can’t seem to be bothered to replace the bulb that’s been out since the start of the season.

Playing in the push piles is typical Sunday night skiing (especially this year), overall fun night. 

The run out from Pdis was rowdy af at 930 I can only imagine what it looked like later. You guys are hardcore 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They should..with the bar up, if the lift comes to a quick stop and if you aren’t holding onto the lift it would be very easy to fall off.  

What kills more people per year skiing…head injuries or lack of safety bars on chairlifts?  Yet helmets aren’t required…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

They should..with the bar up, if the lift comes to a quick stop and if you aren’t holding onto the lift it would be very easy to fall off.  

Yesterday on the quad a younger female BMR was sitting on her poles and didn't get off in time, lemme rephrase that, didn't get her poles out in time, nevermind...

She rode around the bullwheel and proceeded to fall forward aside her poles and get stuck so that the operator had to run over and lift her back up onto the chair as she couldn't get back up herself.

15 minutes ago, indiggio said:

Yesterday on the quad a younger female BMR was sitting on her poles and didn't get off in time, lemme rephrase that, didn't get her poles out in time, nevermind...

She rode around the bullwheel and proceeded to fall forward aside her poles and get stuck so that the operator had to run over and lift her back up onto the chair as she couldn't get back up herself.

Mute did that the other day, got off the lift and his poles were still on the chair and the lift attendant stopped the lift and retrieved the poles.  I’ve never sat on my poles, I always hood them on the lift ride but I’ve noticed a lot sit on them. 

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

What kills more people per year skiing…head injuries or lack of safety bars on chairlifts?  Yet helmets aren’t required…

Don’t think they ever determined if the skier that fell off the lift in 2019 had the bar down or not. 

2 hours ago, theprogram4 said:

Ya, The new lift going over both the learning hill and ski patrol shack is prime opportunity to be told to lower it

They can yell from the ground but when I'm up high in the sky on the chairlift, I have sovereignty like being an independent nation, so there's nothing they can do.

964541980_NewBitmapImage.jpg.7ac7559cecf8084e961328f7578c31a1.jpg

Edited by saltyant

10 minutes ago, saltyant said:

They can yell from the ground but when I'm up high in the sky on the chairlift, I have sovereignty like being an independent nation, so there's nothing they can do.

964541980_NewBitmapImage.jpg.7ac7559cecf8084e961328f7578c31a1.jpg

The ski patrollers radio is faster than any high speed super chair.  They can radio to top shack and have you tackled shackled and ejected.  Salty I know you’re a rebellious guy and a bit of a badass but seriously keep safety in mind. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The ski patrollers radio is faster than any high speed super chair.  They can radio to top shack and have you tackled shackled and ejected.  Salty I know you’re a rebellious guy and a bit of a badass but seriously keep safety in mind. 

Thanks for the reminder, I actually do always put the bar down for safety. If I was feeling rebelious I would handcuff myself to the chairlift in protest of my universal rights for lift bar position freedom.

Edited by saltyant

If you’ve ever been on a lift with the bar up and a roll back occurs it’s enough to convert an atheist. It happened to me at Hunter in the late 70’s , the person I rode up with insisted on keeping the bar up. I grumbled a bit but relented. We were at the highest spot possible when the lift jerked to a stop and proceeded to roll back about 50’ which swung the chair forward and violently backwards when it stopped abruptly. The angle of the chair I would say went past 45°  Scared the crap out of me !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AirheadD8 said:

If you’ve ever been on a lift with the bar up and a roll back occurs it’s enough to convert an atheist. It happened to me at Hunter in the late 70’s , the person I rode up with insisted on keeping the bar up. I grumbled a bit but relented. We were at the highest spot possible when the lift jerked to a stop and proceeded to roll back about 50’ which swung the chair forward and violently backwards when it stopped abruptly. The angle of the chair I would say went past 45°  Scared the crap out of me !

It always amazes me that people insist on raising the bar like 2-3 poles ahead of the top station, typically at the highest point above the ground.
There's plenty of time to raise the bar even after the last support, which is about where we typically raise the bar.

If/When I'm riding with strangers I'll usually keep my foot on the rest until we near the last support, just to piss people off.
I'll usually get the "Ready?" far earlier and will reluctantly and slowly take my foot off the rest.

Why people think it's cool to not put the safety bar down is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the newspaper article, part of the investigation outcome was to better enforce lowering the bar. If there was a freak accident when I worked in industry, you could either engineer a solution or try to change behavior, but you had to do something to reduce the chances of it happening again. This leads to a lot of seemingly stupid stuff, particularly regarding safety shields on moving and rotating equipment. You can’t engineer dumb out of people.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, C1erArt said:

In the newspaper article, part of the investigation outcome was to better enforce lowering the bar. If there was a freak accident when I worked in industry, you could either engineer a solution or try to change behavior, but you had to do something to reduce the chances of it happening again. This leads to a lot of seemingly stupid stuff, particularly regarding safety shields on moving and rotating equipment. You can’t engineer dumb out of people.

was there just recently an incident?

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

Why people think it's cool to not put the safety bar down is beyond me.

i dont get it either.  had a few E-stops on the 6 that were super abrupt, and pretty glad the bar was down.  

• Like 1