January 29th...gonna be busy

RidgeRacer

27 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Couldn’t it be argued that people with vices such as junk food are hypocrites for criticizing those not using the bar, yet don’t criticize themselves on the March to heart disease?  Chairlift falls are not the leading cause of death in America 

There’s no argument if you don’t use the bar you risk un necessarily dying lol

2 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

But eating junk food is not a risk? Again, how many heart disease deaths vs chairlift deaths?  Yet, you don’t say anything about something a million times more dangerous

Yeah but eating junk food and smoking doesn’t harm others, keeping the bar up can injure and kill other people.  

Even if you ride the chairlift alone you can injure or kill somebody if you fall off and land on somebody.  As @TT C6said,”sit on my landing, I’ll sit on your face”

Edited by GrilledSteezeSandwich

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Having a sudden diabetic emergency or cardiac arrest while driving can kill or injure others as well. 

I'm just here to stir the pot. Continue on gentlemen. 

people that die by becoming tangled in thier bedsheets is also becoming more of a thing as well.  there is also a correalation between that and revenue generated by ski resorts.  Who knew, right?

number-of-people-who-died-by-becoming-tangled-in-their-bedsheets_total-revenue-generated-by-skiing-facilities-us.png

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

The worst one was the person right below the lip of falls that got slammed into.  

That one scared the shit out of me.  I used to fly like a birdie over falls but now I take it way easier.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JFskiDan said:

people that die by becoming tangled in thier bedsheets is also becoming more of a thing as well.  there is also a correalation between that and revenue generated by ski resorts.  Who knew, right?

number-of-people-who-died-by-becoming-tangled-in-their-bedsheets_total-revenue-generated-by-skiing-facilities-us.png

I’m gonna start giving a 5% discount for those who die by becoming tangled in bed sheets.  I’ll mark the price up 10% before giving the discount because those people are dumbass’s.  

Alot of UT had no bars for along time, including the old Supreme which ran considerably higher.

Nobody fell off because you didn't fuck around and rode with an arm over the back because it's just common sense when your 100 ft above the ground. 

Putting the bar down is also common sense but children aside if you can't successfully navigate a moving couch I have no idea how your going to handle skiing. 

Look at the new sixer, the ass cup is 50 degrees and 2 feet deep. Down is way more dangerous than up.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Johnny Law said:

Alot of UT had no bars for along time, including the old Supreme which ran considerably higher.

Nobody fell off because you didn't fuck around and rode with an arm over the back because it's just common sense when your 100 ft above the ground. 

Putting the bar down is also common sense but children aside if you can't successfully navigate a moving couch I have no idea how your going to handle skiing. 

Look at the new sixer, the ass cup is 50 degrees and 2 feet deep. Down is way more dangerous than up.  

Yeah but the three high speed lifts at Blue have a slippery seat and if you’re sitting in a middle seat with the bar up and are not holding onto the lift and it makes a quick stop, there’s a chance you can fall off…the old Main Street and burma chairs I was comfortable with the bar up.  

12 hours ago, indiggio said:

It always amazes me that people insist on raising the bar like 2-3 poles ahead of the top station, typically at the highest point above the ground.
There's plenty of time to raise the bar even after the last support, which is about where we typically raise the bar.

If/When I'm riding with strangers I'll usually keep my foot on the rest until we near the last support, just to piss people off.
I'll usually get the "Ready?" far earlier and will reluctantly and slowly take my foot off the rest.

Why people think it's cool to not put the safety bar down is beyond me.

Agree with every word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C1erArt said:

Chair 6 at Whiteface was always scary. Center post, no foot rest, steep terrain and a skinny little safety bar. 

If that's the little whiteface lift that runs adjacent to the mountain run lift but goes all the way up to the little whiteface peak then I would agree. Incredible views of the high peaks from there too.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zzslope said:

Agree with every word.

For realz ?

Risk tolerance in humans is a highly varied witch doctor like stew of brain chemistry, experience, etc etc.

To TP4's point you don't take risks in other areas but perceive of it differently ? I know you do, I know everyone of us does. Indiggio you have a motorcycle no ? Zz I believe you do not use a helmet ? Johnnylaw smoked mad cigs for years and years. Again I'm not saying anything against anyone. 

Motorcycles are cool af and if you want one you should have one but by any measure it's orders of magnitude more dangerous than riding a lift regardless of bar status but the key is you dont feel it is because of a million factors specific to your experience. Some people won't ride on motorcycles by default, some people don't put the lift down, some of us looooooove nicotine it's all the same thing perceptions of risk but not actual risk which is always unknown. 

Risk tolerance is very personal and prescribing ones views to others is impossible as the concept is so nebulous.

What's everyone thoughts on the false vacuum state of the universe or that gamma ray burster that probably isn't pointing directly at us ? Do those things matter ? Who's to judge ? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRacer said:

If that's the little whiteface lift that runs adjacent to the mountain run lift but goes all the way up to the little whiteface peak then I would agree. Incredible views of the high peaks from there too.

Chair 6 was the lift to the top of big whiteface before it was upgraded. 

3 hours ago, C1erArt said:

Chair 6 at Whiteface was always scary. Center post, no foot rest, steep terrain and a skinny little safety bar. 

Is that the one on the far left where there’s a big drop off to the left?  I like Lifts with no foot rest..maybe cause I like to dangle.  At Loveland most of their lifts have no safety bar and when it’s windy and I have my fat skis on, the wind sometimes gets under my skis and makes the ride even spicier. A few of those lift rides it was such relief to finally get to the top. 

53 minutes ago, AirheadD8 said:

Always put the bar down otherwise the negative consequences are limitless. 

18A5AE95-4541-41DE-A731-344F793C6A52.jpeg

That’s why I wear a belt…nobody is seeing my weiner unless im fully erect or it’s at least warm out.  We were joking earlier that in these temps to piss outside gotta put a string around the weiner lol

2 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

For realz ?

Risk tolerance in humans is a highly varied witch doctor like stew of brain chemistry, experience, etc etc.

To TP4's point you don't take risks in other areas but perceive of it differently ? I know you do, I know everyone of us does. Indiggio you have a motorcycle no ? Zz I believe you do not use a helmet ? Johnnylaw smoked mad cigs for years and years. Again I'm not saying anything against anyone. 

Motorcycles are cool af and if you want one you should have one but by any measure it's orders of magnitude more dangerous than riding a lift regardless of bar status but the key is you dont feel it is because of a million factors specific to your experience. Some people won't ride on motorcycles by default, some people don't put the lift down, some of us looooooove nicotine it's all the same thing perceptions of risk but not actual risk which is always unknown. 

Risk tolerance is very personal and prescribing ones views to others is impossible as the concept is so nebulous.

What's everyone thoughts on the false vacuum state of the universe or that gamma ray burster that probably isn't pointing directly at us ? Do those things matter ? Who's to judge ? 

ZZSlope doesn’t wear a helmet but he wears a mask so that makes up for it lol just playing zZ, you’re cool.  

8 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

For realz ?

Yeah, all that is true, and to your point I'm not against anyone doing their thing either, but when it impacts me that's where I draw the line.  If you want to dangle on a chair high enough up in the air without the safety bar down when I'm not on the chair with you, by all means, go for it.   I'm all for you exercising your individual rights.  I don't believe states should even have laws governing safety bar use like some do. 

My biggest issue riding lifts is that I have absolutely no control over when they're going to stop and how fast they're likely going to.  I've been on some where when they hit the E-stop you go hurtling forward and without the bar down, you're likely to fly off the chair if you're not paying attention.   On my bike, I'm mostly in control and statistically they're more dangerous, but like you said the perception of risk isn't the same.   It's not the speed that kills, it's that sudden impact with the other immovable object or earth that does.

And then we get to the top of the lift, raise the bar, slide off and hurl our bodied down a slope of frozen water at 50 MPH on one or two pieces of wood and metal with trees, snow boulders, rocks on either side.  Yeah, we're crazy, but that's where the fun is!

Edited by indiggio
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Is that the one on the far left where there’s a big drop off to the left?  I like Lifts with no foot rest..maybe cause I like to dangle.  At Loveland most of their lifts have no safety bar and when it’s windy and I have my fat skis on, the wind sometimes gets under my skis and makes the ride even spicier. A few of those lift rides it was such relief to finally get to the top. 

The one with the nice view of the slides off piste area. Seen people on it, but (of course) never was out there myself. 

41 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

C1 do you have any ski trips planned for later this season?  

Think we are going to try for a few days at Heavenly when we visit my son in Sacramento this spring. Never been there. Reading your JH posts have me itching to go somewhere to really try my Head Kores.