Big Boulder 1/29/23

saltyant

Big Boulder is grate... Not! I don't mind the tiny trails at all because the grooming is pristine. The place is set up for total noobs. The annoying lift attendant tells me every single time to "make sure you the bar down and keep your tips up". Yeah buddy, I've been a lift attendant for 2 years and skied all over North America. I know how a ski lift works. Then there's a long line for the only lift with decent terrain and I try to pair up with a group of 3, but am told "this is a kids group only". Da fuq??? Then to ski a decent black diamond I need speed to get back to the only decent lift open, but a bunch of gapers are just standing around in a gaggle at the bottom so I have to slow down and then skate uphill and do work. I have more grievances but am getting to the top for a radical run!!!

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Big Boulder is grate... Not! I don't mind the tiny trails at all because the grooming is pristine. The place is set up for total noobs. The annoying lift attendant tells me every single time to "put the bar down and keep your tips up". Yeah buddy, I've been a lift attendant for 2 years and skied all over the country. I know how a slow lift works. Then there's a long line for the only lift with decent terrain and I try to pair up with a group of 3, but am told "this is a kids group only". Da fuq??? Then to ski a decent black diamond I need speed to get back to the only decent lift open, but a bunch of kids are just standing around in a gaggle so I have to slow down and then skate uphill. I have more grievances but am getting to the top for a radical run!!!

Why did you go to big boulder today?  

1 minute ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

Why did you go to big boulder today?  

Somewhere different. I like the trails (big wide open black diamond) and the view of the lake even if it's a 15 second run. Plus the snow is much, much better quality than Blue the True was yesterday. The gaggle blocking the trail has dispersed so it's pretty fun now.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Somewhere different. I like the trails (big wide open black diamond) and the view of the lake even if it's a 15 second run. Plus the snow is much, much better quality than Blue the True was yesterday. The gaggle blocking the trail has dispersed so it's pretty fun now.

Nice at first you seemed irritated but glad you’re feeling better now.  Are you gonna hit Jack Frost after lunch?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rgrwilco said:

Did you tell the lifty about your experience? They probably had no idea they were in the presence of greatness since most people that ski and ride left boulder after vail neutered it.

I didn't, but correct. The first time I was like "yep", and after that I just stopped verbally agreeing to put the bar down and keep my tips up.

What a difference at Jack Frost. Two lifts open with no lines that led to decent trails. I actually enjoyed skiing the wide black diamond at BB, but then having to stand in lines with the plebs by 9 am to ski a 15 second run was pretty silly.

Edited by saltyant

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I logged 2 days in the stats today since I skied 3 runs at Big Boulder and then went to Jack Frost! @AtomicSkier This is grate!

You have to log them as separate days or they only count as one.  I just checked your stats, you officially have 15 days but it’s only been logged as 14

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

You have to log them as separate days or they only count as one.  I just checked your stats, you officially have 15 days but it’s only been logged as 14

Thanks a lot! I fixed my stats and put Big Boulder on Friday, January 27, so now my stats are accurate and reflect my official 15 days. I hope the mods fix this bug pretty soon because if I ski at 2 resorts in one day, the stats manager should count that as 2 days instead of just 1.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, saltyant said:

Thanks a lot! I fixed my stats and put Big Boulder on Friday, January 27, so now my stats are accurate and reflect my official 15 days. I hope the mods fix this bug pretty soon because if I ski at 2 resorts in one day, the stats manager should count that as 2 days instead of just 1.

Happy to help, but expect it changed by the end of today 😢

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, theprogram4 said:

Happy to help, but expect it changed by the end of today 😢

I'll make sure I get today counted as 2 days since I know the guy who runs this site. If I remember correctly, Grilled Steeze appointed me as the Unofficial Junior Assistant Stats Manager a few years ago, so I have authority.

• Haha 1

Personally I can't conceive of counting skiing 2 places on the same day as 2 days. Particularly when a shared lift ticket has been good at both for over 40 years. Killington has multiple peaks that are much further apart than JF and BB, but hitting every Killington peak in a day would presumably count as less ski days than a day in which you ski at BB and Frost? Would throwing in a run at Pico make your Killington day count as 2? How do you count the two distinct peaks at Stowe or Sugsrbush? 

Paging Rhyme and Reason

Edited by Ski2Live Live2Ski
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Personally I can't conceive of counting skiing 2 places on the same day as 2 days. Particularly when a shared lift ticket has been good at both for over 40 years. Killington has multiple peaks that are much further apart than JF and BB, but hitting every Killington peak in a day would presumably count as less ski days than a day in which you ski at BB and Frost? Would throwing in a run at Pico make your Killington day count as 2? How do you count the two distinct peaks at Stowe or Sugsrbush? 

Paging Rhyme and Reason

You over think everything. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ski2Live Live2Ski said:

Paging Rhyme and Reason

Hold on. You really think Killingtons peaks are a further distance apart from JF and BB?? If anything I would think pico to Killington would be a better analogy. Let me Google map this....

7 hours ago, saltyant said:

Jack Frost is skiing pretty well. Some icy spots here and there but no stupid sugar. Plus 2 lifts with access to black diamonds are running and no lines!! 

@GrilledSteezeSandwich I asked the lift attendant and he said Flloyds isn't open, sorry

Thanks was just about to ask about Floyd’s.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

That’s like VVIP parking 

I guess the BB people radioed the JF people and told them to save me a VVIP parking spot because I was disgruntled. The JF lift attendants were hardcore and didn't even tell me to put the bar down. I wanted to high five them so bad for stoke.

Edited by saltyant