Walts in Winter Park

enjoralas

2 hours ago, AtomicSkier said:

@enjoralas I took the bus from ABE-EWR recently as a test (same bus they use from ABE-PHL).  It was really nice.  More comfortable than the CRJ200 they fly ABE-ORD.  It's a seriously good option departing out of ABE.  Painless.

but @pcklein31 you only earn PQPs for the bus, not PQFs.  Sad.

Do you get to skip security in Allentown if you go on the bus? Interesting that it dropped you off at terminal F and then you had to make your way to terminal B. 

Also super happy to hear that Pops was able to make it. 

Edited by Schif

7 minutes ago, Schif said:

Do you get to skip security in Allentown if you go on the bus? Interesting that it dropped you off at terminal F and then you had to make your way to terminal B. 

Also super happy to hear that Pops was able to make it. 

You do security at PHL/EWR.  At least on UA, your checked baggage is screened at ABE, so when you arrive at EWR, you just have your carry on luggage and they take care of your checked baggage for you.

51 minutes ago, AtomicSkier said:

You do security at PHL/EWR.  At least on UA, your checked baggage is screened at ABE, so when you arrive at EWR, you just have your carry on luggage and they take care of your checked baggage for you.

Id rather just drive to Philly airport.  There is no closer Lehigh valley location to the Philly airport than the hotel house.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pcklein31 said:

Thanks, good know,, there goes an easy way to reach 54 PQF!  I've been at 54 and 56 the last two years, so hopefully I maintain.

It is nice that using miles for flights now earn PQP and PQFs.  

Damn!  I only hit 1K because of the lower requirements last year, so hoping that i do enough polaris intl travel this year to get to the PQP threshold w/o having to sit on 54 flights.  Ya, the new changes are nice, now I don't feel bad about using awards for personal travel at the expense of not earning PQP/PQFs.  The PQFs are more valuable to me than PQPs.

1K has been working nice ... didn't travel much in Jan, but confirmed at the 24 hour mark 3/4 flights in the past two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, enjoralas said:

Day 1 cont. - Landed at DEN and pulled out my phone and checked on the rental car while taxiing to the gate. Was offered a couple of Kia Sportage 2WD options, a couple of minivans, a 2022 Mitsubishi Outlander and a 2023 GMC Acadia. Looked at the differences between the Outlander and the Acadia and decided to get the GMC, but when I went to reserve it it wasn't available anymore.

Refreshed a bunch of times while heading to baggage claim and saw a bunch of options. Always the Kias amd minivans, and several different Outlanders. The most interesting one was a 2022 Ford Expedition that popped up on about half of the refreshes. About 2/3 of the times it showed up it said "Upgrade $33 per day" and the rest of the time it was a free upgrade. Was ready to take the 2022 Outlander with about 16k miles, did one last refresh and there was a 2023 Dodge Durango with 1195 miles so snagged that.

Took awhile to get luggage because the ski carousel was jammed and they were bringing ski bags out on a cart 6-8 at a time. Finally got the ski bag amd headed to the Avis shuttle. Got to the lot, straight to the car and after a longer line than there should have been (Preferred exit closed) we were on the road to Winter Park.
No traffic to speak of and got to Winter Park at about 2pm. Can't get I to the condo until 4 so decided to cruise past the resort and get the lay of the town and nearby Fraser. We were also hungry so decided to keep an eye out for the Mexican good joint that PSUFly recommended to me 6 or 7 times.

Okay, it was only 3x, but I figured when someone mentions you should eat somewhere that many times, it probably doesn't suck.I couldn't remember the name but I knew that it was short and simple and I would know it when I saw it, something like The Shack or The Dump.

We drove through Winter Park and through Fraser and down the road awhile more and weren't spotting it. Spun around and headed back and figured we'd look some more and eat somewhere in WP. On the way back I asked my sisters BF Stephen whonis with us where he rented skis from so we could pick them up while we were in town. He didn't remember the name.

Uhm, okay. Can you look for an email? Can't find an email. Has a text message from them confirming pickup for 2/5 and a price. No name? No name. No address? No address. Google the number. No good hits. Called it and it was a computer.

Driving back through Fraser and WP amd Stephen is in the backseat calling like 4 different ski rental jawns off "Winter Park Ski Rentals" and asking if they have a rental in his name for pickup today. Can't make this shit up. 🤣 Almost back through Winter Park and still haven't spotted The Hut or whatever so pull the car into a garage to figure out where to eat and where homie's rentals need to be picked up.

Walking toward the shops there trying to decide between the brewpub and a couple other places. "Hey, we should go to The Ditch. Right across the damn street, lol. Walk up and get seated amd now have the difficult decision of deciding between all the delicious items on the menu. The burgers all sounded awesome, including the sliders on the app menu.

But going to a place like that and getting a burger would be like going to a cheesesteak place in Philly and ordering a hot dog. (A brother in law did that.) So I got the Murphy which was their basic burrito (which is anything but basic) but also stuffed with a Chile relleno amd topped with French fries and cheese before being smothered in their red or green chili sauce, or Xmas style, both. Went Xmas style, natch.
20230205_145752.thumb.jpg.7e62b024f0e24725a5a8ac330be851c8.jpg

It was phenomenal, with the relleno being the star. Smashed the whole thing and probably would have eaten another relleno if one happened to be present. Great food and a great rec by Fly.

At some point during the meal I started helping Stephen track down his skis. I figured if I made started making a dummy reservation amd it was the same price it could help. First place I went to asked for renters name amd DOB, put his info in and got "Welcome returning customer!" Mystery solved, lol.

Picked up his rentals and headed back to the resort just in time to get into the room. Very happy with the room and location vs price paid. Good view from the balcony. We were all looking forward to hitting some good snow in the morning. First trip out west for Stephen.

20230205_174317.thumb.jpg.56de531ab9030170021ab20071ee0c15.jpg

NEXT - ski day 1 or everybody get low low low low

I bet Pops in in the Jacuzzi with a couple of Mich Ultras…you’re trying to upstage me when it comes to trip report prose and I don’t mind….waiting for NEXT!!!  

Great TR so far. Bison chili sounds amazing. I bet if you showed your unpunched card next chili bowl you get they would punch it twice.  Why would you have a card at all if you didn’t already buy a bowl? You should definitely go to the Jane side and take the Panorama all the way to the top. Views are very nice and you can take blues all the way to the bottom. The last part of the cat walk is a quad burner trying to keep your speed up.  WP seems to have a lot of cat walks. Deno’s  restaurant in town has good food. 

• Like 4