Killington Stoke Thread... 2023!!

saltyant

33 minutes ago, saltyant said:

I was just there and I didn't know they have tubing.

Wonder if someone was injured or worse? Snowtubing is a pretty risky activity

It’s like one of Tom Cruise early movies Risky Business…people get injured tubing and walking around Burlington coat factory looking for the perfect tubing outfit can cause tendinitis if you aren’t wearing supportive footwear.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saltyant said:

I was just there and I didn't know they have tubing.

Wonder if someone was injured or worse? Snowtubing is a pretty risky activity

That was my thought, however there are plenty of instances of people being severely injured or worse on tubing runs, JFBB and BC, for example and I don’t ever remember them shutting it down for the year from that. I wonder if they aren’t just cutting their losses on a low visit year or something. 

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That was my thought, however there are plenty of instances of people being severely injured or worse on tubing runs, JFBB and BC, for example and I don’t ever remember them shutting it down for the year from that. I wonder if they aren’t just cutting their losses on a low visit year or something. 

When I worked at Eagle Rock in Hazleton, some idiot went down the double black on a snowtube. I wasn't there at the time but saw the video. He is lucky to be alive. @Schif Idiotic Eagle Rock story.

Edited by saltyant
  • Haha 1

Just now, saltyant said:

When I worked at Eagle Rock in Hazleton, some idiot went down the double black on a snowtube. I wasn't there but saw the video. He is lucky to be alive. @Schif Idiotic Eagle Rock story.

I would be lying if I said that thought had never crossed my mind before at any resort 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I would be lying if I said that thought had never crossed my mind before at any resort 

A worker at Blue died in 2001 from snowtubing on Main Street.

https://www.mcall.com/2001/01/12/blue-mountain-ski-area-employee-dies-after-snow-tubing-accident-resort-co-owner-says-a-worker-was-fooling-around-during-snowmaking-lull/

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

I recall Bear had a very serious tubing injury that required them to make changes.

Idk but I don't think anything happened at Killy more sounds like nobody is home.

If I'm not mistaken they have tubing at Deer Valley at the Montage, no matter the place that tubing loot is hard to turn down.

Yeah, I looked into and read about that a couple years ago. Apparently it used to be the best, fastest, etc around. They ended up cutting a bunch of the hill off to get the speed down.

2 hours ago, enjoralas said:

Yeah, I looked into and read about that a couple years ago. Apparently it used to be the best, fastest, etc around. They ended up cutting a bunch of the hill off to get the speed down.

I remember the riders could routinely hit the catch net at quite a high speed and some could jump the berm as well but they seemed to enjoy it more that way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

I remember the riders could routinely hit the catch net at quite a high speed and some could jump the berm as well but they seemed to enjoy it more that way.

I remember seeing tubers get air at BC. Looked like fun, reminded me of sledding many years ago. Three golf courses in my area had jumps, saw a lot of people crash and burn on them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Law said:

I worked tubing like '08-'11 and definitely had people in he net. Employees did an 8 person snake after work one night and still can remember the dogpile feeling after hitting the net.

Also had a customer break there leg after not clearing the lane and getting hit by a tube. Kids getting tossed out from spinning tubes were also common but they did away with that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, mbike-ski said:

...and that's a wrap on  '22-23. Mrs S and I beat ourselves up on Skylarke and Superstar on two superstar days of mid/high sixties, sun and slush bumps!

1D80484F-A0F3-4078-A7D8-EE18268A4B90.thumb.jpeg.152845cfcbb1e8ab28cca26cc035cf24.jpegC8CC46BA-3D31-4367-96EE-9D9345BA1AF9.thumb.jpeg.719d899c001963aa98e6b46398d2ddb2.jpeg

Man, if you could have just gotten a pic of your bike leaning on stuff at Killington.......now that would have been badass.  

I guess its holding up pretty well, when we were there over easter, once the lift goes lookers right of the slope, the snow was pretty much level with the chairs.  Kind of impressed K,J, and Bush were all open this weekend. 

• Confused 1

Yea I think skylarke/bittersweet is done for the season, another few weeks for superstar.

re photos, c’mon Dan  non action ski shots are all about beer in the foreground (see above) and “show us your tips”, sheesh 🤓 (sample below)

3D5363D4-54FD-4C2A-96D1-C9B6138FCA82.thumb.jpeg.553ce9e3bb62afc5e8a715957171c612.jpeg

A good ski lean with vehicle AND beer is worth a few points too 

4D847945-48E6-4282-9D8A-CAC4ACF8330F.thumb.jpeg.a106bc33a048a3b43b45e465f1a23c88.jpeg

Maybe we should start a thread for rad internet photos 101 lol!

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, mbike-ski said:

@indiggio I had heard that some blue bumpers  might be headed up last weekend but didn't see any. there were a ton of rippers though, fun to watch during my frequent rest stops!

Yeah, a few were up there. 
Rick called me about going up but I had 15 yards of mulch being delivered Friday, so that's what I ended up doing instead of skiing.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, indiggio said:

Rick called me about going up but I had 15 yards of mulch being delivered Friday, so that's what I ended up doing instead of skiing.

Damn I got 8 delivered and I'm dying, I can't imagine 15. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, indiggio said:

I like the look of mulch, but remulching so many times sucks. We've moved to landscape stone and I'm happy with how much easier it is to manage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, toast21602 said:

I like the look of mulch, but remulching so many times sucks. We've moved to landscape stone and I'm happy with how much easier it is to manage.

We put it on thick, so only do it every other year.

In retrospect, I should have gone to landscape stone from the start.  Good move!
In the back under the deck that doesn't get much sun and grass was nearly impossible to grow, I did goose egg stone which is far easier to maintain.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, toast21602 said:

1 hour ago, indiggio said:

We put it on thick, so only do it every other year.

In retrospect, I should have gone to landscape stone from the start.  Good move!
In the back under the deck that doesn't get much sun and grass was nearly impossible to grow, I did goose egg stone which is far easier to maintain.

i am convinced, nobody ever drives by my house and says "oh wow, his mulch looks so good".  In fact, im pretty sure people drive by my house and say "those arbovities look like huge penis's", due to the deer eating them.  Im over the mulch as far as looks are concerned, but i do think it does keep some of the weeds down.  I do have an area with landscape stone, and still have to pull weeds out of there.  At my last house, i did the whole fabric thing, and then stone, and was good for a while, but then eventually it still would produce weeds.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JFskiDan said:

i am convinced, nobody ever drives by my house and says "oh wow, his mulch looks so good".  In fact, im pretty sure people drive by my house and say "those arbovities look like huge penis's", due to the deer eating them.  Im over the mulch as far as looks are concerned, but i do think it does keep some of the weeds down.  I do have an area with landscape stone, and still have to pull weeds out of there.  At my last house, i did the whole fabric thing, and then stone, and was good for a while, but then eventually it still would produce weeds.  

I did the fabric/mulch and still get weeds in the second year.  The fabric is probably 3 feet under by now.

I also did the fabric under the stone and am constantly pulling little weed sprouts, but I'd hate to cover that area with mulch all the time.  I'd probably need 15 yards just for that area alone.

If I had my druthers, I'd prefer astroturf, but the boss has her own plans.  HWHL...

• Boner City 1