Thoughts on the new lift?

I meant to create this topic the other day but got sidetracked.  We spent like 60 pages speculating and talking about the new lift but since it’s been open it’s just been an everyday part of skiing Blue mountain the true mountain.  The new lift has created a certain strategy..the quad started loading 4 minutes earlier than the two six packs the other day which created a mad dash..

New six pack is good for..skiing with a group, getting the upper parts of runs not accessed by the OG six pack and the quad.  If you do park at the top or want to go to slopeside it gets you there fast.  I also like skiing lazy mile to the falls from the super safari summit if I want to get back to the quad.  Liftlines dramatically decreased    

Bad: upper Main Street now busy..switchback busier..that whole shuttle lower park area sea of people during busy times and some really like to show off their carving on an 8 degree slope 

I can think of a lot more positives than negatives about the new lift.  Do I miss the old Main Street and burma chairs, a little but with them removed you don’t have people flying down lazy to the Main Street chain at the same time as people are flying down lower Main Street to the shuttle.  I actually slow down quite a bit there now cause it’s more congested.  Even in slow snow with unwaxed skis coming from burma I can coast from burma no problem but for some getting from burma to the super summit safari is an adventure.  They may miss the burma chair.  

• Like 3

I now like starting out my day doing Widow to Chute, it's mostly empty the first few runs except for some top lodge gapers merging from Vista. The walk to the new lift is a tad shorter than the others which is better for walking in ski boots. Plus there's usually no one there except for @theprogram4 and his cup of Wawa or McDonalds coffee. But don't tell anyone how great the new lift is or everyone will want to do it.

Edited by saltyant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like it, with come around being the only park option this year you can lap it without touching butts on the Vista chair.  It would suck without it and Vista not spinning midweek.

Edited by DiMe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Only complaints are that people only load 3 or 4 to a chair even when it is busy, and it comes almost to a complete stop when unloading, so you can’t jump off of it early with some speed like you can the quad and Challenge Express (although I noticed today they packed snow at the front of the unloading platform so you could hop off a couple of feet early with a little bit of speed). Also the limited area at top (and bottom) tends to collect a crowd. Comfy chair though, and I like the spring assist bar 

• Like 3

I like it, too. The chair itself is high for for the tiny folk in our party but hopefully in a season that won't be an issue anymore... I love the ease of access to widowmaker. We hardly ever went on it previously because we avoided the doubles. My hope for next year though is they figure out some way to ease congestion for getting on the lift - or getting off the snow. Its like a game of chicken to get through people and the sea of skis left at the edge of the snow. I love that we never wait in line anymore though. 

• Like 5

I think the new lift is a positive addition to my favorite pocono ski area. I enjoy the different perspective on the ride up, more to watch. The placement of the top station provides much better access for a windowmaker/midway/chute, or vista/burma run. The bottom station could have been moved up 20 or 30 feet to give more loading space? It has helped a lot of people discover the joys of the little gap side for better or worse. At the same time, it seems to have lessened the crowds on the other side of the hill. It changed the lift use dynamic; the quad seems to have longer lines and the old six gets noticeably less use (when it's open).

• Like 4

i like all the posts, and like the lift.  I am most thankful for the early season lot/lift options.  I think parking up top might be a thing of the past now.  

yeah, it does turn into a cluster fuck in between the 2 sixes, i would like to think there is some good explanation as to why they are so close to one another, but we live in a very imperfect world, and maybe this is what you get when you remodel an old ski resort, basically having to put things where they need to be VS where you would like them to be.  Who knows, maybe there is an ancient burial ground that the new 6 is encroaching upon.  They could try to work on the getting off part of it a little bit more, but its all good.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's nice....It's comfy...it's new....and it moves a lot of people up the mountain...I like the quad cause you can just about access everything...problem is BMR and every other program uses it....so people comin down see the line and if the OG6 isn't spinnin there goin to the new lift and there gonna ski Main Street....I wish they would spin all three on weekends..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mixilplix said:

It's nice....It's comfy...it's new....and it moves a lot of people up the mountain...I like the quad cause you can just about access everything...problem is BMR and every other program uses it....so people comin down see the line and if the OG6 isn't spinnin there goin to the new lift and there gonna ski Main Street....I wish they would spin all three on weekends..

They did last weekend.  Is this not the norm?

On 3/2/2023 at 10:01 PM, GrilledSteezeSandwich said:

I think it depends on the day…but it’s sort of like this song of the OG six pack isn’t running and just the quad and new lift. @Dirtwolf was saying he wants to get into meatloaf 

Still waiting for my greatest hits mixtape to arrive…